Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Green's blocking Amex expansion plans? Steve Bassam

Feb 14, 2010
Nothing like the squirming going in on by your friends in Westminster.

Whether red, blue, yellow or green they all seem to think that everyone in the private sector must pay taxes to keep a bloated civil service and teachers on holiday for at least a week for every 5 weeks that they turn up to a school. Then some council official makes your life difficult when you want to visit a town for a game of football (this in a tourist town that might want visitors?) or up up the West End. Its almost as stupid as the genius who argues that the way out of recession is to borrow more money to give to public sector workers to spend more money on goods that the country cant afford... and this patently absurd policy is mainstream politics that gets air time. You couldn't make it up, who do they think will lend the money, at what price and anyway, what about public sector workers being told that what we really want is more wealth creators instead of people who just want to spend someone else's? Yes Im off the point.

cloud

Jun 12, 2011
Here, there and everywhere
Isn't that how Westminister have managed to charge one of the lowest council tax rates in the country over the years ?

That's mainly cos there are more businesses in Westminster than residents. I live in Westminster and the council tax here isn't low by any stretch of the imagination, but the business rates are very high.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
That's mainly cos there are more businesses in Westminster than residents. I live in Westminster and the council tax here isn't low by any stretch of the imagination, but the business rates are very high.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Westminster famously has one of the lowest council taxes in the country.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
That's mainly cos there are more businesses in Westminster than residents.

Last stats I can find are from 2009, but Westminster has more residents that Camden, Hackney, Tower Hamlets or Islington to name but a few.

LB beat me too it, but I'm not sure what you think is high council tax ? You should try paying it in Sussex !

Last edited:

cloud

Jun 12, 2011
Here, there and everywhere
Correct me if I'm wrong, but Westminster famously has one of the lowest council taxes in the country.

Yes, but that's because of business rates rather than parking revenue. They get three times more revenue from business rates than residential, hence the subsidy.

Parking is an area where the council over-spends, and ends up having to write off a lot of the fines as bad debts anyway.

What I have noticed with transport policy here in London is that too many cooks spoil the broth, what with the GLC doing one thing and the councils another. We have just had a cycle priority lane put in, with no consultation, and they have removed all the pedestrian crossings on the basis that "during the rush hour there were more cars than pedestrians". So no kids can get across to go to the park now.

This is quite a good document / proposal based on improvng transport links to the London clubs
http://legacy.london.gov.uk/assembly/reports/transport/sports_travel.rtfhttp://

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
And they probably wouldn't get planning permission anyway.

I suspect they just want the club to buy it, at a premium.

I guess if the Albion can buy the land at least they won't have to bother with the carrot of building a community centre and can just build a bigger car park. Everyones a winner then.

D

Deleted User X18H

I like much of what the Green Party is trying to do. I'm not a member, nor never will be.

However, there is an awful lot of shit written about them on here, so if anything, I'm offering an equal and opposite argument in terms of strength in re-balancing the points of view. The stuff about 'tree-huggers' and 'lentil munchers' is puerile bollocks.

Fact is, I have three Green councillors in my ward, and I do talk to them, especially over things raised on here about the stadium. They have concerns over expansion (as do many of other political persuasions), and are keen for it to be as minimally impactful as possible - doesn't everyone want that? Are they against expansion? Not according to the councillors I speak to.

The party line is - and this is sensible considering they're in control - they want and need the Albion to be a jewel in the city, and that they wish to work well with them.

What exactly is it you like about what the Green Council is trying to do? Please do summarise. It is evident to anyone with the slightest scrap of intelligence that the Green Council will do all within their power to veto the expansion of the stadium, unless significantly challenged.

None of it fits in with their ludicrous plans for the City.

In the past you have said unmentionable things about Norman Baker and Anne De Vecchi. How do you think their policies against the Stadium compare with the revelations made about the Green Council's intentions, as revealed by Lord Bassam yesterday?

Just out of interest like.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Am I missing something? Wherebis the access road to that bit of land below the virgin club? It can't have a development with access via falmer stadium or the road to the car park at virgin, which is private land. Will they run a road through falmer school playing fields?

Am I missing something? Wherebis the access road to that bit of land below the virgin club? It can't have a development with access via falmer stadium or the road to the car park at virgin, which is private land. Will they run a road through falmer school playing fields?
That's not the site that the Albion wants to use as a car park. The one we are talking about is at the Brighton end of the Falmer Academy site. Access is via Lucraft Road, or through the little railway bridge that is near the Southern Water traffic lights.

After an overnight break, the twittathon starts up again.

Twitter

SteveTheQuipSteve Bassam
Still lots of unanswered question on Greens weird decision on BACA, Bridge CC, & Stadiums extra capacity.

jasonkitcatJason Kitcat
[MENTION=21687]stevet[/MENTION]heQuip We are focussing on quick move to permanent solutions over temporary proposals which didn't really cut the mustard.

SteveTheQuipSteve Bassam
[MENTION=13823]jason[/MENTION]kitcat With the car parking solution for the Albion included and at no cost to the council? Yes or No?

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
SteveTheQuipSteve Bassam
[MENTION=13823]jason[/MENTION]kitcat so in principle do you favour the expansion of capacity to 8,000 seats. That cannot be hard to say YES Too. Go on try the words

jasonkitcatJason Kitcat
[MENTION=21687]stevet[/MENTION]heQuip I support a successful #bhafc but yet to see details or a planing app so will see what they propose.

SteveTheQuipSteve Bassam
[MENTION=13823]jason[/MENTION]kitcat Ok but would you as a Green member support the extra 8,000 seats independent of planning yes or no.

We await the answer.

In fairness, I am pretty sure Bassam would be well aware that any councillor who would be likely to have to vote on a planning issue cannot declare a pre-emptive opinion on it.

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
In fairness, I am pretty sure Bassam would be well aware that any councillor who would be likely to have to vote on a planning issue cannot declare a pre-emptive opinion on it.

Jason KitKat said on Twitter that he is not on any planning committee so he is allowed to say whatever he wants about it, but at the least the Green Party's policy on this would be a start.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Also, I am not sure you can criticise anyone questioning whether or not the transport links are able to cope with another 8,000 people...
Indeed. Or to put it another way: If I were a councillor on the Planning Committe I'd be inclined to vote against expansion until I knew what the permanent transport proposals were. I'd probably vote yes on the promise that X, Y, and Z were going to be done rather than insisting that they were, but I wouldn't approve 8000 more seats with the existing arrangements.

EDIT: I wouldn't be totally anti-Albion; I'd also be agitating for proper park 'n' ride sites built on the fields on the edge of the city which could be used as part of the club's plans.

Philzo-93

Jan 17, 2009
North Stand
This is why I can't take these minor parties seriously!!! They ruin football! The Tories wouldn't be against this, and I hate those twats!!!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here