Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Green's blocking Amex expansion plans? Steve Bassam

SteveTheQuipSteve Bassam
[MENTION=13823]jason[/MENTION]kitcat Do I understand that you now intend selling the land.

jasonkitcatJason Kitcat
[MENTION=21687]stevet[/MENTION]heQuip Talks are ongoing and I'm not going to prejudice them

SteveTheQuipSteve Bassam
[MENTION=13823]jason[/MENTION]kitcat You are miss the point. You took decision yesterday & cannot bring yourself to explain it.Why did you overturn officers advice

Feb 14, 2010
Looking at this from living in London, I find it amazing that a place like Brighton would not want to do everything it can to raise the capacity for a venue to 30K, 35K, 40K, frankly whatever they can get. 2500 Forest fans visited Brighton with wives, kids ect. A good size would have stayed the weekend. The coy answers of "maybe, lets see the plans" is just odd. Do Brighton want weekend visitors or not?

As for parking then again this is odd, there is East Brighton to park in. Its completely legal and should be encouraged, not discouraged, because that is what people want and no, when I have parked there, nobody complained and were actually very helpful when I asked where the best place to park was.

Westminster Council are in the process of backing down in their attempt to charge people parking in the West End on Sundays and Brighton Council will find that people really have had enough of councils making peoples life difficult.

The people who own B&Bs, nightclubs, shops and bars in Brighton must be shaking their head in disbelief that a councillor would even think of discouraging more customers to Brighton.

Is there an option to formalise parking in East Brighton as an alternative to the site next to the Academy? Obviously with a new park and ride service to support it?

Brighton Marina? East Brighton Park? Saltdean Lido? Longhill School?

That would allow the parking capacity to increase and the Council to sell off their land at Falmer.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Way out of my league (sits back and watches the experts go to political war again) I love the heavyweights on this board who know what they are talking about when it comes to this sort of thing, but I am available (and Des) for any marches or demonstrations if needed.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
This is exciting stuff.

It would appear that the Greens want to sell the site that the Albion want for car parking - in order to raise cash.

begs the question, who would want to buy? not exactly prime development land.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Frustrating that we, as a county, are seemingly unable to come up with some decent park and ride sites.

I lived in Oxford for four years and the P&R sites are magic. Regular buses from all angles. A distinct lack of towering NCPs shadowing much of the city.

Shame we seem unable/unwilling to do something similar down here.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Westminster Council are in the process of backing down in their attempt to charge people parking in the West End on Sundays and Brighton Council will find that people really have had enough of councils making peoples life difficult.

Isn't that how Westminister have managed to charge one of the lowest council tax rates in the country over the years ? Apparently their parking revenue brings in more that the entire council tax.

Legally (I understand) parking revenue can't be seen to subsidise council tax but you can make your own mind up about councils making a huge noise regarding their low council tax.

Mines the same, my council tax is much lower than my last borough - but pound for pound I end up spending more paying for services not included in the price.

( I don't live in Lambeth any more )

I was asked to sign a petition the other day about it. I replied, I haven't got a car, get an Oyster but if you still have a problem get Westminister to up their council tax because that's where the REAL problem lies.

Last edited:

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Frustrating that we, as a county, are seemingly unable to come up with some decent park and ride sites.

I lived in Oxford for four years and the P&R sites are magic. Regular buses from all angles. A distinct lack of towering NCPs shadowing much of the city.

Shame we seem unable/unwilling to do something similar down here.

We do suffer from the small problem of not having any P&R sites to the south/southwest/southeast of the city. :(

Feb 14, 2010
Lord B. If I drive to a game I dont want to park 5 miles away and get a bus to the game. There is parking in the estates of Esat Brighton. The locals really dont mind. Try it and see. I have been to 4 games this year at home, and parked near the Hikers Rest. No problem, no hassle. I just get the impression that some bloke with a council clip board is itching to make it a problem.

A constructive attitude by a council that want to make my life easy and therefore inclined to come to more not less games and spend my cash in Brighton is what is needed. As I say, the B&B owners and bar owners of Brighton must be shaking their heads.

Feb 14, 2010
Isn't that how Westminister have managed to charge one of the lowest council tax rates in the country over the years ? Apparently their parking revenue brings in more that the entire council tax.

I wish councils were a bit more honest. Bit like mine. Low council tax but you get what you pay for.

I was asked to sign a petition the other day about it. I replied, I haven't got a car, get an Oyster but if you still have a problem get Westminister to up their council tax because that's where the REAL problem lies.

I'd argue that we dont need westminster council at all, just the London Assembly. Then we can sack a few civil servants and save some cash

Lord B. If I drive to a game I dont want to park 5 miles away and get a bus to the game. There is parking in the estates of Esat Brighton. The locals really dont mind. Try it and see. I have been to 4 games this year at home, and parked near the Hikers Rest. No problem, no hassle. I just get the impression that some bloke with a council clip board is itching to make it a problem.

A constructive attitude by a council that want to make my life easy and therefore inclined to come to more not less games and spend my cash in Brighton is what is needed. As I say, the B&B owners and bar owners of Brighton must be shaking their heads.
But with 8,000 MORE spectators wanting to get into the stadium, Coldean and Moulsecoomb won't have the space that you are currently enjoying.

More proper parking is a genuine need - not just to get through the planning process, but to ensure a tolerable journey for fans (including existing fans).

Feb 14, 2010
Moulscoombe is available because some genius has decided that you cannot park there at the moment. As such it is available to use going forward, as long as they tell the bloke with the clip board that really, he is not needed.

D

Deleted User X18H

There really will be some exceptional squirming on here soon. I do hope appropriate adults are available for consultation.

Nothing like the squirming going in on by your friends in Westminster.
I'd be slightly wary of Timmy's chums in Brighton.

Have you seen who the Tory members of the Planning Committee are?

Lynda Hyde, Denise Cobb, Carol Theobald and Geoff Wells. Not the most Albion-friendly bunch you might hope for.

D

Deleted User X18H

I'd be slightly wary of Timmy's chums in Brighton.

Have you seen who the Tory members of the Planning Committee are?

Lynda Hyde, Denise Cobb, Carol Theobald and Geoff Wells. Not the most Albion-friendly bunch you might hope for.

Carol is a huge Albion fan.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Carol is a huge Albion fan.

I'd never be stupid enough to rely on the support of a politician for my football club, although you might be.

My brother learnt his lesson a few years ago when a local PPC came to see him and claimed to know little or nothing about the stadium issue.

Funny that. Was listed in that match day programme as being against.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here