Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Green's blocking Amex expansion plans? Steve Bassam

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
Surely if the club builds a 1000 space car park on that site, then for the majority of the time it could be used as a Park and Ride serving the city? That's pretty 'green' isn't it?

The Council do count count Park and Ride as being a sustainable mode of transport. In fact, the Council are planning to remove any support for new Park and Ride sites from their new Local Plan.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
The Council do count count Park and Ride as being a sustainable mode of transport. In fact, the Council are planning to remove any support for new Park and Ride sites from their new Local Plan.

Are they going to put in a monorail instead?

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town

Park and Ride sites would need council subsidies to keep them going , look at what has happened to the P&R at Withdean. It no longer has dedicated P&R buses and the number 27 route was altered to provide cover.

Storer 68

Apr 19, 2011

Fantastic. Its going to float on a bed of hot air!!!!!!!!

matthew

Sep 20, 2009
Ovingdean, United Kingdom
Believe in greens ideology but they should really focus on something more important than increasing the seats of our stadium - cupple of weeks ago Brazil announced they were loosening their forestation laws meaning part of a forest the size of France will disappear

LadySeagull

Jan 21, 2011
Portslade
The Greens have started to prove exactly what many of us thought about them all along. If it wasn't bad enough that they refused Govt money which would have meant our Council Tax bills would have been frozen, now we have this insult to the people of Brighton. All of their decisions are at our expense - whatever happened to representing the people in the local constituencies?

Really p'eed off with those responsible for voting these cretins in.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
The Greens have started to prove exactly what many of us thought about them all along. If it wasn't bad enough that they refused Govt money which would have meant our Council Tax bills would have been frozen, now we have this insult to the people of Brighton. All of their decisions are at our expense - whatever happened to representing the people in the local constituencies?

Really p'eed off with those responsible for voting these cretins in.

Do you know that refusing this government money is a bad thing in the long run? Have you checked?

And what insult is this you're on about?

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
I'm not really all the au fait with local politics but it does grind my gears when people start getting all uppity about the Green Party and make assumptions based on either assumed or historic policies.

LadySeagull

Jan 21, 2011
Portslade
Do you know that refusing this government money is a bad thing in the long run? Have you checked?

Yes I am not stupid - I checked the 'facts' that they were trying to sell to everyone. I don't believe their spiel that to freeze Council Tax this year, when we are still in recession, would be a bad thing and would inevitably lead to a massively higher increase next time. There are savings that can be made to avoid such a consequence but never mind that, the Greens are in charge and no-one can disagee. The vast majority of other Councils in the entire Country obviously share my views - but not Dr Lucas. I stand by what I said, the Greens are cretins in my view, deluded and blinded by their own tree-hugging aims. They should never have been let loose from the asylum to run a Council; it's a disaster and will end in tears.

The 'insult' is to Brighton fans and interested locals who have waited for over 14 years and know that the expansion of the stadium was part of the package. They are now reneging on that package simply because they hate car drivers and seem to think everyone can hop on a bike. It is simply not possible for most people to use a bike or public transport all the time - in my case I do 2 school runs to 2 different schools (or to friends who take my youngest child for me) and still have to get to work by 8am. It could not be done without a car unless we set off at 6.30am and I am sorry but we ain't playing ball with these idiots.

And as for not thinking that Park and Ride is a greener policy - ffs! Surely the football car park at the Btn Aldridge Academy could have brought in funds for the Academy - but no, it doesn't fit with Green policy so it's another non-starter.

I also drive past the ridiculous road works on the Old Shoreham Rd in Hove every day - which I understand is going to be the cycle lane that the locals clearly voted AGAINST in the survey. The very idea of making that road a single lane is madness and dangerous, but if it makes the Greens look like they are achieving their aims then they would presumably say who cares if some school kids get crushed as a result. It makes me really angry.

Last edited:

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
Yes I am not stupid - I checked the 'facts' that they were trying to sell to everyone. I don't believe their spiel that to freeze Council Tax this year, when we are still in recession, would be a bad thing and would inevitably lead to a massively higher increase next time. The vast majority of other Councils in the entire Country obviously share my views - but not Dr Lucas. I stand by what I said, the Greens are cretins in my view, deluded and blinded by their own tree-hugging aims. They should never have been let loose from the asylum to run a Council; it's a disaster and will end in tears.

The 'insult' is to Brighton fans and interested locals who have waited for over 14 years and know that the expansion of the stadium was part of the package. They are now reneging on that package simply because they hate car drivers and seem to think everyone can hop on a bike. It is simply not possible for most people to use a bike or public transport all the time - in my case I do 2 school runs to 2 different schools (or to friends who take my youngest child for me) and still have to get to work by 8am. It could not be done without a car unless we set off at 6.30am and I am sorry but we ain't playing ball with these idiots.

'Tree-huggers'. Here we go...

The expansion wasn't part of the planning case heard by either Inspector or by the Secretary of State or by the Local Planning Authority. SO I don't know why you seem to think we have a devine right of expanding the Stadium no questions asked.

As Lord B and TLO have said elsewhere, the application will be determined by the 12 member planning committee 5 of whom are Green Councillors. It would be detetermined this way under any local government. That determination will be made (hopefully) on the merits of the case made by BHAFC/TCSL, and to what degree an expanded Stadium would create impacts on the highway network or local amenity, and if it does whether the socio-economic benefits would be so great to overcome any significant impacts (if there are any).

It really has very little to do with 'tree-hugging'.

Last edited:

LadySeagull

Jan 21, 2011
Portslade
'Tree-huggers'. Here we go...

The expansion wasn't part of the planning case heard by either Inspector or by the Secretary of State or by the Local Planning Authority. SO I don't know why you seem to think we have a devine right of expanding the Stadium no questions asked.

As Lord B and TLO have said elsewhere, the application will be determined by the 12 member planning committee 5 of whom are Green Councillors. It would be detetermined this way under any local government. That determination will be made (hopefully) on the merits of the case made by BHCC/TCSL, and to what degree an expanded Stadium would create impacts on the highway network or local amenity, and if it does whether the socio-economic benefits would be so great to overcome any significant impacts (if there are any).

It really has very little to do with 'tree-hugging'.

The Greens have no grasp of any idea which is not 'green' - that's the problem, their view is so coloured on every issue that there's no argument that will win against them, even if supported by the local people, finances, the 'merits of any case' or common sense.

For example, how on earth have they decided to force a cycle lane in a very dangerous place that the local people did not want?

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton

To be fair, 3.5% hurts me now. I'd rather wait for a year with a 0% rise and then see what the situation is in a years a time. Personally I think the council are scaremongering.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here