Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Green's blocking Amex expansion plans? Steve Bassam

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
One day a week making meat unavailable in their work place = vegetarianism? It's not like they couldn't have a bacon sarnie for breakfast at home before work and a steak dinner went they got home, they weren't banned from eating meat, hell, they weren't even banned from brining in chicken sandwiches if they wantede. "Forcing vegetarianism on" them, give over. Not stocking meat in the staff canteen for one day a week is no where near being vegetarian.

I'd love to see the reaction of your average Brighton fan if the only food served at the Amex were the veggie pies. And that's neither a meal you NEED to have nor being paid for by the hard working young families of Brighton and Hove.

The fact is Meat Free Monday was such a f***ing disaster it was quietly scrapped wasn't it?

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
The situation is that the council would need to increase Council Tax by 7.1% in order to keep up (the 'grant' is not available next year as it's not toally eithcial to raid the Local Government Pension Fund forever to fund this). And councils are being capped at 3.5% increases.

What is interesting is that two-thirds of the councils who do not intend taking up this 'grant' are Conservative councils.

Only a council that employs contract managers that can't do their job should need to increase council tax by that amount to keep services the same. As someone who is employed by a large government supplier I was involved earlier this year when all government suppliers were called into the cabinet office. We were told to reduce our prices by at least 10% - all suppliers agreed to do this. Given wage freezes ( or cuts depending on your view ) there is NO reason for any council to increase council tax apart from idealogical reasons.

The Green Party have given no reasonable justification for raising council tax.

ewe2

Mar 14, 2008
Hailsham area
Whoever ,whatever ,do i understand that we need to prove to the planners,that proper transport arrangements are in place to gain the extra 8000 seats ? Well IMO that sounds very sensible,and as the club are now major employers in Brighton then i am sure "all " parties will seek a solution (without the need for too many enquiries !!! )

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I'd love to see the reaction of your average Brighton fan if the only food served at the Amex were the veggie pies. And that's neither a meal you NEED to have nor being paid for by the hard working young families of Brighton and Hove.

The fact is Meat Free Monday was such a f***ing disaster it was quietly scrapped wasn't it?

I'm not arguing it was successful or right. I'm simply saying the idea that having meat free mondays in the workplace is forcing vegetarianism (not eating meat ever) on people is ridiculous hyperbole that undermines any point you're trying to make.

Last edited:

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Something doesn't smell right.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Sod it - I'm tired of debating this.

Some people have made their minds up already, and that whatever they've convinced themselves that the Greens are self-serving and have no interest in the Albion. I've tried to put up a reasonable counter-argument to some of the hyperbole on this thread. I could come out of this looking a right Charlie with the Greens having let me down politically and the rest of us down emotionally. Who knows? But we will still have our stadium.

I'll close by saying I'm confident of the right result for the Albion out of this in April and I'll judge the Greens then. To block the stadium expansion plans makes little sense, especially financially, and the Greens know this. I'll leave some to their anger, and everyone else to their PoVs.

As Duncan Balustrade would say 'Arm Ooot'.

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab

Some people have made their minds up already, and that whatever they've convinced themselves that the Greens are self-serving and have no interest in the Albion. I've tried to put up a reasonable counter-argument to some of the hyperbole on this thread. I could come out of this looking a right Charlie with the Greens having let me down politically and the rest of us down emotionally. Who knows? But we will still have our stadium.

I'll close by saying I'm confident of the right result for the Albion out of this in April and I'll judge the Greens then. To block the stadium expansion plans makes little sense, especially financially, and the Greens know this. I'll leave some to their anger, and everyone else to their PoVs.

Are you not concerned by the two page story in the Argus tomorrow ?

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
I'm not arguing it was successful or right. I'm simply saying the idea that having meat free mondays in the workplace is forcing vegetarianism (not eating meat ever) on people is ridiculous hyperbole that undermines any point you're trying to make.

It is denying people a choice of something that is a cultural Norm. would you be as happy for a meat only Friday?

It may not be forcing vegetarianism in its purist form but it can be seen as promoting a vegetarian agenda and any minimal sniff of success would give the instigators the excuse to expand it, thats how progressive politics works and how the "over reaction" works to put the kybosh on it.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Are you not concerned by the two page story in the Argus tomorrow ?

"See tomorrow's argus for exclusive on vicente's future"
Tomorrows argus: Vicente still has a part to play (aka nothing is different to what you thought it was before we teased you with such a twitter line)

This sort of non sense happens so often with the argus, it's hard to get worked up about it. I doubt it will say anything concrete that you haven't already seen quoted from twitter in this thread. Perhaps the argus reporter will cite some worst case scenarios, but if you read both pages properly, nothing will change.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
It is denying people a choice of something that is a cultural Norm. would you be as happy for a meat only Friday?

It may not be forcing vegetarianism in its purist form but it can be seen as promoting a vegetarian agenda and any minimal sniff of success would give the instigators the excuse to expand it, thats how progressive politics works and how the "over reaction" works to put the kybosh on it.

I would have absolutely no problem with my work place instituting a meat free day.
I don't claim I wouldn't eat meat when I got home, though. I like meat a lot, but I can go one meal without it.

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
"See tomorrow's argus for exclusive on vicente's future"
Tomorrows argus: Vicente still has a part to play (aka nothing is different to what you thought it was before we teased you with such a twitter line)

This sort of non sense happens so often with the argus, it's hard to get worked up about it. I doubt it will say anything concrete that you haven't already seen quoted from twitter in this thread. Perhaps the argus reporter will cite some worst case scenarios, but if you read both pages properly, nothing will change.
Fair point.Selling papers again. I have been following twitter and did notice Kitcat shirk a couple of important questions from Baasam,

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

That's a ridiculously over-simplistic metric on which to judge the Greens on this particular subject.

The Amex got built. Does that mean we can all look favourably upon the politicians of Lewes for being pro-Albion and pro-stadium?

Caveman

Jul 14, 2003

Some people have made their minds up already, and that whatever they've convinced themselves that the Greens are self-serving and have no interest in the Albion.

Unfortunately people will when it comes to the Albion. For my sins I am one of them and don't always bother with all the facts and logic, but just see the red rag some times when you see people potentially standing in the way.

D

Deleted User X18H

I think to be fair the reality has finally FINALLY dawned on you that all this bias towards the Greens is really going to come back and haunt you.

It's almost been like at times you have been a mouthpiece for a local Green councillor!!!!!!!!

I do admire the fact however, that you have decided, albeit conveniently, that you 'are tired of debating this' thus able at this point, to distance yourself from what is fast becoming a political debacle.

'As Duncan Balstrude would say 'Arm Ooot'? I preferred 'TLO is outta here'

They're under starters orders and .........they're squirming.

Last edited:

smiler

Jan 12, 2006
Shoreham by Sea
I think to be fair the reality has finally FINALLY dawned on you that all this bias towards the Greens is really going to come back and haunt you.

It's almost been like at times you have been a mouthpiece for a local Green councillor!!!!!!!!

I do admire the fact however, that you have decided, albeit conveniently, that you 'are tired of debating this' thus able at this point, to distance yourself from what is fast becoming a political debacle.

and you're not biased against the Greens

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
This, in some ways, reminds me of the debate about the funding for Falmer a few years back.

In the face of people posting concerns about exactly where the money was going to come from, TLO kept slapping the doubters down, quoting Perry et al, saying stuff about Tier 1 banks, unique project, nothing to worry about, funding will be in place any day etc etc.

I remember, at the time, BensGrandad posted the following:

"I will be accused of being a deafitist but I go along with the principal of 'no smoke without fire'.

I am certain in my own mind that unless 1 man comes up with mega bucks we will struggle to finance Falmer.

It is obvious to any long term supporters that the projected attendance figures needed to repay the debt are 'pie in the sky' hopes that will never be achieved unless we are at the top end of the Championship at least. If me , an ordinary supporter, can see this and form that opinion how must somebody whose job it is to investigate these loans etc see it.

I hope that I am wrong but I do not hold a lot of confidence for raising the money by other means other than 1 very wealthy man.
"

As BensGrandad proved back then, sometimes, it is best to go on your gut instinct, rather than the whispered words of local politicians and business people, dropped into willing ears.

People with vested interests and conflicting priorities will generally let you down.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM

Every time you post on the subject of local politics, Caroline Lucas gains more votes.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here