Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Grand Slam Sunday

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
Interesting. I thought Mascherano's sending off was ridiculous. His first booking was warranted but I didn't see what he did wrong for the second. He seemed to me to be only talking to the ref. Obviously it was incredibly stupid of him to wander over to the ref and get involved after Torres was booked for dissent...it doesn't take a genius to work out what the ref was going to do next. However, why was Torres booked for getting fouled? What exactly did Mascherano say? He didn't look like he was being particularly abusive-he only went mental once he'd been red carded as far as I could see.

I thought Bennet was very poor. And what about Ronaldo's blantant dive? I thought it was one of F.I.F.A's big things to eradicate diving? And Torres's late challenge in the second half? Worthy of a yellow and hence a red? What was Ferdinand booked for?(this isn't a criticsm, just a genuine question-I was watching in the pub with no commentary).

I blame Sepp Blater.

Fran Hagarty

Jul 5, 2003
Mid Sussex
Interesting. I thought Mascherano's sending off was ridiculous. His first booking was warranted but I didn't see what he did wrong for the second. He seemed to me to be only talking to the ref. Obviously it was incredibly stupid of him to wander over to the ref and get involved after Torres was booked for dissent...it doesn't take a genius to work out what the ref was going to do next. However, why was Torres booked for getting fouled? What exactly did Mascherano say? He didn't look like he was being particularly abusive-he only went mental once he'd been red carded as far as I could see.

QUOTE]

:clap::clap::clap:

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Why's that then? Is Grand Slam Sunday any different to any other Premier League football on a Sunday?

Yes, it features the top four teams in the land and arguably four of the top five or six teams in the whole of Europe.

:drool:

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country

Timbo

Jul 5, 2003
Hassocks
Interesting that Mark Clattenburg didn't feel the need to run 20 yards to berate Kalou for his pathetic airshot!

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003

I thought Bennet was very poor. And what about Ronaldo's blantant dive? I thought it was one of F.I.F.A's big things to eradicate diving? And Torres's late challenge in the second half? Worthy of a yellow and hence a red? What was Ferdinand booked for?(this isn't a criticsm, just a genuine question-I was watching in the pub with no commentary).

I blame Sepp Blater.

I don't think he was just because he ran up to the ref after Torres' card. It probably has something to do with the fact that for the whole of the first half he was telling the ref to f*** off, and this was the final straw. He should have been sent off after his first yellow for the decent he gave to the ref, when it was clearly a yellow card.

Timbo

Jul 5, 2003
Hassocks

I blame Sepp Blater.

Torres appeared to be asking for a Liverpool player to get booked, but as I said earlier, nobody knows what either of them said. Mascherano had run to confront the ref on two occasions already. He actually looked like he was coked out of his head!

Predictably, Benitez has laid all the blame with the ref. 10 minutes, publicly belittling the ref, yet not a mention of his new goalkeeper, CoCo the clown, who made far more mistakes than Bennett did.

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1

SO are saying it is acceptable to continually abuse the ref? He was caught on camera verbally shouting 'f*** off' to Bennett 4 times in a row. He then shouted 'You fuckin prick' at Bennett following another decision.

WHy some of you are condoning ths is beyond me, why should you be able to strut around the pitch telling the ref to continually f*** off and have no punishment?

Knotty

Feb 5, 2004
Canterbury
SO are saying it is acceptable to continually abuse the ref? He was caught on camera verbally shouting 'f*** off' to Bennett 4 times in a row. He then shouted 'You fuckin prick' at Bennett following another decision.

WHy some of you are condoning ths is beyond me, why should you be able to strut around the pitch telling the ref to continually f*** off and have no punishment?

It's beyond me too, Wilko.

I don't like Bennett as a ref at all, but in this instance he was 100% right.

We don't know what Torres said but I didn't think he deserved a booking. However it doesn't have any bearing on what Mascherano did. He could have justifiably gone for his comments after his own booking.

Benitez should be blaming him and Reina, not Bennett.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
Mascherano cost his team the game today and totally lost his head from the kick off. His first yellow was without question yet he was still swearing at the ref about it for the next ten minutes. From that yellow on it was clear to anyone watching he was not going to last 90 minutes and his own stupidity got him removed from the game.

As for the refs performance how do we seriously expect a ref to perform in a climate where you have players surrounding you, swearing cheating and diving all over the place only for their managers to defend them after the game. Its a wonder they get as many decisions right as they do.

Then just in case they have not received enough abuse at the game they then get home to listen to that c**t Gray tear their performance apart on the utter w*nkfest that is 'The Last Word'.

Well done Steve Bennett IMO like to see a few other refs stamp the whining out of the game.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo

No, that's not what I'm saying at all. I'm saying on what I saw it was ridiculous. I didn't see him telling Bennet to f*** off four times or calling him a prick. I saw him come over and say something in what looked a non aggressive manner (to me) and instantly get sent off. If he did spend the whole game swearing at Bennet then fair enough he had it coming. That's not what I saw though.

Fran Hagarty

Jul 5, 2003
Mid Sussex

Fair enough! I don't condone swearing at the referee and I'm obviously not as good as you at lip reading!

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
Torres appeared to be asking for a Liverpool player to get booked, but as I said earlier, nobody knows what either of them said. Mascherano had run to confront the ref on two occasions already. He actually looked like he was coked out of his head!

Predictably, Benitez has laid all the blame with the ref. 10 minutes, publicly belittling the ref, yet not a mention of his new goalkeeper, CoCo the clown, who made far more mistakes than Bennett did.

To be fair Torres was getting a bit of a kicking...

Despite thinking Masherano shouldn't have been sent off (on what I saw) that red card didn't cost Liverpool the game. They were outplayed convincingly by Man utd and were already a goal down. It was his team that lost, playing-presumably- to the directions that he gave them. No one to blame but himself, I think.

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
chelsea changes - grants job could be decided on these

"you dont know what your doing" - poor avram. i quite like him

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
avram doesnt know what he is doing - 1-1

chelsea fans really are ****s

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
What a game this is, good job Grand Slam Sunday only comes around twice a year, my hear couldn't take any more!

Jul 5, 2003
Chertsey
I cannot believe Gray. That guy is such a BELLEND.

Earlier he was moaning that the players are no longer able to be "passionate" - then he says that Drogba should have been sent off for taking off his shirt and then going into the crowd.

THEN he moans about the lino not calling offside for something that's MILLIMETERS out, and then he only spots it when it's slowed to snails pace.

What is the POINT of him commentating on the game? He knows f*** ALL about football.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here