Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Grand Slam Sunday

blue'n'white

Oct 5, 2005
2nd runway at Gatwick
Who the hell is bothered about the bloody "Premier League" and this completely made up farce of "Grand Slam Sunday" ? I mean really:angry:

Robbie G

Jul 26, 2004
Hassocks
I'm not so sure about the Torres booking but the second Mascherano booking was deserved. Andy Gray spouting shit about passion. Well yes. he can be passionate but why does he have to run all the way over to the ref to let him know HIS frustrations.

The comparison has been done to death, but rugby players are just as passionate about their game but they don't behave like this. If they do, they know they will let their whole team down by being sin binned.

I think Steve Bennett was correct in his sending off decision. Though they obviously seem pretty harsh due to the current nature of the game where there is no 'zero tolerance' with backchat etc. The game needs a substantial change in regards to player behaviour towards referees, IMO.

I always think back to what i was told as a kid which was 'if you have no referee, you have no game'. It's about time the importance of referees was re-established in football.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
With a bit of luck, the Chelsea - Arsenal players won't have seen what happened between Steve Bennett and Mascherano and will think it's business as usual... :lol:

Timbo

Jul 5, 2003
Hassocks
I'm with you sir.
So when you opened a thread that was called 'Grand Slam Sunday', I bet the last thing you expected was people talking about premier league football. There are threads about standing and driving to Nottingham which, funnily enough, I won't bother to read because I don't give a f*** about either.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
I think this situation has really confirmed it is time Sky dismissed Gray as he is a complete imbecile and his knowledge of the game is very dated.

This is where fans and ex-pros seem to differ all the time (although great to see Jamie Redknapp bucked the trend).

What's exciting and passionate about dissent? It slows the game down, achieves nothing, encourages players in Sunday Leagues etc to misbehave, and makes games uncontrollable.

They had a long discussion on Five Live the other day, and Steve Claridge was exactly the same as Gray.. unable to separate the idea of "passion" (i.e. big tackles, heat of the moment punch-ups etc) from the constant whingeing, cheating (claiming corners etc when you know damn well it's not one) and bullying of refs.

With Forest on Monday, not a bad time to remember how good they always were to watch because Brian Clough would not tolerate bookings for dissent.. the bosses could make such a big difference. As usual, no doubt, Liverpool will deflect all the attention on to Steve Bennett after to cover for their own inadequacies.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
So when you opened a thread that was called 'Grand Slam Sunday', I bet the last thing you expected was people talking about premier league football. There are threads about standing and driving to Nottingham which, funnily enough, I won't bother to read because I don't give a f*** about either.

Well said

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD

Because I can. :wave:

Timbo

Jul 5, 2003
Hassocks
Andy Gray has to be binned from Sky soon. His one man crusade against referees is doing absolutely nobody any favours. Sky though seem to think its OK to give him his own show on a Sunday evening where he can use all sorts of technology and spend five minutes proving a referee got a decision wrong, having had a split second and just one look at it.

How exactly does Andy Gray, or anyone else for that matter, know what Torres or Mascherano said to Steve Bennett.

blue'n'white

Oct 5, 2005
2nd runway at Gatwick
I was hoping, when I opened it, to read that people weren't taken in by this ridiculous over dramatisation of what is, after all, only an ordinary football match and really should only greatly concern fans of the teams concerned.
Sadly it seems that too many people have been taken in by the hype.
You may just as well interview people queuing up in Cardiff today for their tickets to the semi final for all the interest that Albion fans should have in it and for all the impact that it has on us
Thank you so much !

Last edited:

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
So then you disagree with Gray, who said he shouldnt have been booked, let alone sent off?

Can anybody see the irony in it all, for the last decade Man Utd have lead the world in bullying/harassing refs to their benefit and when refs finally have the guts to face up to it, and after instruction from the FA, its Man Utd who benefit most from it.

Timbo

Jul 5, 2003
Hassocks
Can anybody see the irony in it all, for the last decade Man Utd have lead the world in bullying/harassing refs to their benefit and when refs finally have the guts to face up to it, and after instruction from the FA, its Man Utd who benefit most from it.

That is funny to be honest.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003

Sure thing, but Sir Alex has been hassling the referees bosses in the past couple of weeks, knowing full well it would have an effect. Seems to have paid off. Steve Bennett also has a bit of a history of sending off Man U players, mainly Ronaldo, and we know how refereees like to even these things up. But in the end, whatever the reasons, the boy Bennett done GOOD :thumbsup:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here