Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Grame Smith Signs

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
who can forget Bournemouth when he acted like he'd won the lottery when we conceded that last minute goal to lose the match).

OK-I'll bite.

Where did this come from?

Did you actually see it yourself? I was at that game and certainly don't recall any antics such as you've described.

You can't make accusations like that without substantiating them-especially as the statement is coming from a one-man Kuipers Out campaign.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Is there any chance whatsoever that this guy can just be welcomed to the club without this thread descending into one of the usual Kuipers binfests?

I'll check back later :thumbsup:

What do you mean? Loads of people unnecessarily slagging off Kuipers (as has already been done in this thread)...

chez

Johnny Byrne-The Greatest
Jul 5, 2003
Wherever The Mood Takes Me
OK-I'll bite.

Where did this come from?

Did you actually see it yourself? I was at that game and certainly don't recall any antics such as you've described.

You can't make accusations like that without substantiating them-especially as the statement is coming from a one-man Kuipers Out campaign.

I didn't see it myself no, but I was told by someone who is a good friend and was on the bench that day and this was also confirmed by a Bournemouth supporting mate who was sitting behind the dugout. Neither would lie to me, so I can say that it is a fact that he was grinning ike a cheshire cat when we lost.

He lost any credibility he had after that game.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
He'll surely be our first choice keeper if fit, I can't believe we are even debating this. He was a midtable Scottish Premier League regular last season, a level which none (ok maybe McNulty) of our present players will ever reach.

But Kuipers played in the Championship...

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
As you have to have an opinion on this one, I am pro-Kuipers, so for me. It looks like this.

The FDM is now 35 which is not ancient for a keeper, but he has had some terrible injuries over the years, including the mashed shoulder and the car crash. So to introduce some competition and some succession now is a good thing. Whoever starts as number one this season, it won't make the other one a bad keeper.

If Smith is the man he will have to be a bloody good keeper and that can only be a good thing. Welcom aboard

100% agreed! Sense at last...

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
I'm pretty sure he will get the nod to start the season.

Be interesting to see how Kuipers reacts to that bearing in mind what has gone b4 when he hasnt been first choice.

Kuipers while a very good shot stopper is an average keeper, then to be fair most of the keepers in this league are average

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
It's clear that we need another goalkeeper at the club because Kuipers is reaching an age where injuries take longer to get over and reflexes become slower, etc., etc. What I don't understand is why so many on here are always ready to criticise and knock Kuipers whenever his name gets mentioned on a thread. Why the animosity towards him? I don't get it.

I'm with you there... he has consistently delivered for our club...

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
No chance Mate, until we get shot of Kipper the clown no other goalkeeper will stand a chance.

The Kipper Krew are the single biggest reason why Brighton have been struggling these past 3 or 4 years. Somehow these people have forced other managers to put a liability in goal thus making us a weaker team.

He HAS to go for other keepers to be given a decent shot.

Or, just maybe, the managers and goalie coaches realised that he was the best keeper at the club... you are just so biased against Kuipers that you invalidate your own argument,...

The reason that there are some people on this board ready to slag off FDM at every turn is a reaction to the far more vociferous crowd that treat him as an infallible god. Kuipers has been a good 'keeper at this level, and was decent enough in the Championship when we played there. He wasn't Lev Yashin reborn, and neither was he Nicky Rust.

Personally, I think his time has come now, but am more than happy for Slade to judge who he wants to play in goal first game of the season and go along with that.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
But Kuipers played in the Championship...
He did 2003-2005 in which time we were nearly relegated, and relegated. Michel has been a fine player, and I'm sure he'll play some matches for us next season, but my opinion is that he won't be our first choice. I also believe that if John Sullivan was still in contract and Michel wasn't, it would have been Michel who would have been released, but that is a separate issue.

....but as I've already said, it's all speculation until the team for Walsall is announced on August 8th.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Amazing isn't it. Here we have a guy who has served the club superbly for nearly a decade, putting in consistently brilliant performances over all his time here. Indeed, even during the Zamora years, when we had our best player since the 1980s, Michel was just as important to us. And he's been pretty damn good since then also. But to some people that isn't good enough. "He can't kick" people still whinge, despite the fact his kicking has been as good as any other keeper for a couple of years now. And the old favourite, "Other keepers have replaced him as number one," always comes out too. So what? Outside a TINY group of players, you show me anyone who has been first choice for one club for ten years. There aren't many at all. The man is a legend, and his legacy will live on for years after he finally departs. There may be a few idiots like Chez who slag him off for no reason, but I'll tell you a FACT: there is no more popular player currently at the club than Michel Kuipers.

Here, here... I wish I had posted that! :clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here