Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Grame Smith Signs

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
Looks a good signing, will wait and see whether or not he replaces Kuipers, could be interesting as cant see Michel settling for a place on the bench!

Don't think he has a choice or say in the matter, if the reported figure of 2k a week we are paying Smith is true, it sure as hell not going to be for keeping the bench warm. That would be a very expensive heater.

7:18

Brighton & Hove Albion
Aug 6, 2006
Brighton, England
looks like Kuipers will be wearing #1 though, according to pics on the seagulls site from training today...

Iamapen15

May 17, 2009
Back of the North Stand
Wow. Excellent signing. Squad is really starting to take shape now...

GK: Kuipers, Smith
D: Whing, El-Abd, Hawkins, McNulty, Virgo, Elphick, Cook, Tunnicliffe
M: Cox, McLeod, Dicker, Wright, Croft
F: Forster, Murray(?), Dixon, Hart, Davies

I think we are a winger, a centre midfielder and a striker short (unless I forgotten anyone?).

Lynch? Livermore?

How can you remember Dixon but not Lynch or Livermore??

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Wow. Excellent signing. Squad is really starting to take shape now...

GK: Kuipers, Smith
D: Whing, El-Abd, Hawkins, McNulty, Virgo, Elphick, Cook, Tunnicliffe
M: Cox, McLeod, Dicker, Wright, Croft
F: Forster, Murray(?), Dixon, Hart, Davies

I think we are a winger, a centre midfielder and a striker short (unless I forgotten anyone?).
Almost agree, except I'm not convinced we need a striker if Murray stays. If he does leave, we're going to find it almost impossible to replace him. We should break the bank to sign a proven winger (at this level). A Darren Huckerby type of signing would RUIN most defences in this division. Not convinced about Crofts as anything more than a squad player (although I'm only going on second hand information) so I think we need a solid midfield player in the Chippy mould.

That ought to be a squad solid enough to finish in the top ten and a tilt at play-off GLORY.

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
looks like Kuipers will be wearing #1 though, according to pics on the seagulls site from training today...

ben roberts wore 29 - numbers mean nothing these days

interesting that people are saying smith will be playing because of his wages - i dont imagine for one minute that kuipers is on the cheap either. his form under slade was patchy at best, and certainly if we want to progress from this league then we will need a better keeper. seems a good signing, and if he does take the number one short i strongly suspect this will be kuipers last as a brighton player

Foolg

Apr 23, 2007
Don't think he has a choice or say in the matter, if the reported figure of 2k a week we are paying Smith is true, it sure as hell not going to be for keeping the bench warm. That would be a very expensive heater.

I agree, i think if Smith is good enough to be called up to the scottish squad and reportedly have both old firm clubs taking notice then i think he will probably have come here to be first choice. As for Kuipers, i would think he is on 2k, probably more, so either way one or the other is going to be an expensive bench warmer.

acrossthepond

Jan 30, 2006
Ruritania
I agree, i think if Smith is good enough to be called up to the scottish squad and reportedly have both old firm clubs taking notice then i think he will probably have come here to be first choice. As for Kuipers, i would think he is on 2k, probably more, so either way one or the other is going to be an expensive bench warmer.

Potentially a nice little investment too, if you look at the amount that has been paid for the likes of Flinders...

theonesmith

Oct 27, 2008
I think investment wise all the business conducted this summer looks great. Seems a much better standard of quality than previous summers, and most on frees!

HG201

Proud Ruffian
Jul 16, 2008
Birmingham
Kuipers, i would think he is on 2k, probably more, so either way one or the other is going to be an expensive bench warmer.

I think that kuipers is one of the club's highest earners, earning something like 4k a week. If i am correct, then surely he will be our first choice keeper, getting payed double the amount of Smith

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
As it stands, El-Abd has no chance of getting a look in at centre back - Tunnicliffe, Virgo, Elphick, Lynch.

At holding mid, we will have Dicker and Livermore ahead of him.

So he won't get many games.

If Livermore was ahead of him he wouldn't have been sent to Luton on loan would he?

Perry Milkins

Just a quiet guy.
Aug 10, 2007
Ardingly
If Livermore was ahead of him he wouldn't have been sent to Luton on loan would he?

Mick Harford to Slade:

'Can we loan a midfielder from you. We will pay 75% of his wages'

Slade

'Sure you can have El Abd'

Hardford

'He is crap'

Slade

'Oh Ok you can have Liverpate.

Dosser

Feb 22, 2009
I am amazed Buzz has come down here, but absolutely delighted.

He has his moments, but so does every keeper! He is no ex marine, but should be a fantastic signing for the Albion.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
From the Motherwell fans' forum earlier in the summer

Smith - In my opinion has always been average. Has no control over the penalty area at doesn't install confidence whatsoever at corners or crossed balls. He is a good shot stopper but there is more to being a keeper than that. He appears to have a strange misconception over this contract issue that he may get a better move and he is better than Motherwell? I would love to know why.

There seems to be a lot of bad feeling because he made it clear very early on that he would be leaving when his contract expired so suspect the comments are more negative than may be justified by his performances. They are amused that he could be benchwarming for Kuipers - can't see it myself - he is our new No1 in my opinion.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here