Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gosbts

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Moshe Gariani said:
:lolol: you could start a campaign for a Singing "And We'll" Section at Falmer and offer instruction classes for the under 50s...
Just to be serious for a moment in what otherwise has been a good knockabout thread I never realised there would be so much resistance to getting the 'proper' words re-instated. I thought once the fact that the song was changed specifically to deal with the Cup Final in 1983 was pointed out to younger generation they'd all go "Oh, right, see what you mean, yeah, makes sense we'll sing it properly from now on", however there's people saying they actually prefer the current version.

Anyway, if you find yourself next to some old bloke singing "AND WE'LL" very loudly you'll know it's me! I don't think they'll be a big crowd for the League Trophy match tonight so I should be able to make myself heard!

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Moshe Gariani said:
Can we have special permission to sing our version at Lords on Saturday?
Yes you may. You've gone 'up to' London to see Sussex win the cup so IN THIS INSTANCE it makes perfect sense.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Brovian said:
Yes you may. You've gone 'up to' London to see Sussex win the cup so IN THIS INSTANCE it makes perfect sense.
Do you not find the traditional use of the present tense problematic...? Surely we can only correctly sing on the train...?

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Moshe Gariani said:
Do you not find the traditional use of the present tense problematic...? Surely we can only correctly sing on the train...?
Hmm. Very good point. The pedant in me (never dormant for long) agrees with you. So on the train you can sing "Going up to win the cup", but once at Lords you must change it to "We've come up to win the cup."

Do you think it'll catch on?

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Brovian said:
Hmm. Very good point. The pedant in me (never dormant for long) agrees with you. So on the train you can sing "Going up to win the cup", but once at Lords you must change it to "We've come up to win the cup."

Do you think it'll catch on?
don't see why not... after all other heinous corruptions seem to persist unchecked

my "serious point" is that our song now provides both a traditional celebration of our beloved county AND a nostalgic hint of that most famous occasion in our club's history when we travelled en masse to Wembley in a quest "to win the Cup for Sussex-by-the-Sea" - that the day ended in an honourable draw does not discredit the sentiment or the continued fond remembrance...

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Moshe Gariani said:

my "serious point" is that our song now provides both a traditional celebration of our beloved county AND a nostalgic hint of that most famous occasion in our club's history when we travelled en masse to Wembley in a quest "to win the Cup for Sussex-by-the-Sea" - that the day ended in an honourable draw does not discredit the sentiment or the continued fond remembrance...
Very eloquently put.

But still wrong!:lolol:

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Brovian said:
But still wrong!:lolol:
see DannySeagull's post above :lolol:

I hope for several loud choruses in NW8 on Saturday whatever words people prefer to sing...!

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
I have not gone into this thread as I suspected I already knew the content - and I have not been disappointed.

Listen. It is AND.

Also it is "the Old Shoreham Road".

I hope that helps.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Dick Knights Mum said:
Also it is "the Old Shoreham Road".
Its just "Old Shoreham Road" rather than "the Old Shoreham Road".

Hope that helps.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Brovian said:
Never mind Norman Wisdom the version we sing should be:

"Going up AND WE'LL win the Cup" not "TO win the Cup" which only made sense when we were playing Man Utd at Wembley in 1983. Anybody who still sings "Going up to win the Cup" in 2006 is a thick, ignorant, straw-brained dullard.

..... and relax.

(I may have mentioned this before .....)

Dear Mr. Brovian

I share your abject horror on this subject, realising as you so obviously do, that grammatical errors in football terrace chants are a threat to the very foundation of our society.

My memory is not the very best, but I am worried that I may have sinned myself. Please put my mind at rest that we did not sing the cherished 'proper words' at all between the years of 1980 and 1983, when clearly 'going up', in terms of promotion was not possible.

Yours humbly

Mr Kraay

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
Moshe Gariani said:
Its just "Old Shoreham Road" rather than "the Old Shoreham Road".

Hope that helps.

How many Old Shoreham Roads are there? If it's just the one, then it should be perfectly safe to sing "the Old Shoreham Road".
If there are others, perhaps its better to use "an Old Shoreham Road"....

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Trufflehound said:
How many Old Shoreham Roads are there? If it's just the one, then it should be perfectly safe to sing "the Old Shoreham Road".
If there are others, perhaps its better to use "an Old Shoreham Road"....
I think you may have missed the point by the sort of distance that Sully used to clear the South crossbar by...

DKM made a patronising post about the correct words to terrace chants... I merely pointed out to him that as far as I'm aware most of the North Stand used to sing "Going down Old Shoreham Road" rather than his suggestion of "Going down THE Old Shoreham Road" (which whilst being grammatically correct doesn't scan as well...)

Last edited:

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
hans kraay fan club said:
Dear Mr. Brovian

I share your abject horror on this subject, realising as you so obviously do, that grammatical errors in football terrace chants are a threat to the very foundation of our society.

My memory is not the very best, but I am worried that I may have sinned myself. Please put my mind at rest that we did not sing the cherished 'proper words' at all between the years of 1980 and 1983, when clearly 'going up', in terms of promotion was not possible.

Yours humbly

Mr Kraay
Thank you for your input Mr Kraay. LOVED your cod-Dutch thread with all the pictures BTW, one of the best and worthy of a place in NSC Gold. Did you also know that Simster used to post as the 'Hans Kraay Fan club'? Small world eh? Where were we? Ah yes. Well, you see Mr Kray, during those years 'going up' could be construed as 'going up' the table and although another promotion could not be achieved (barring the advent of a European Super League) I don't think it alters the fundemental point which is 'going up' meant the club was going in an upwards direction as opposed to 'going up' to a physical location and er,

LOOK OVER THERE! KYLIE MINOGUE'S TAKING HER CLOTHES OFF!!

*ducks out of thread*

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Brovian said:
Thank you for your input Mr Kraay. LOVED your cod-Dutch thread with all the pictures BTW, one of the best and worthy of a place in NSC Gold. Did you also know that Simster used to post as the 'Hans Kraay Fan club'? Small world eh? Where were we? Ah yes. Well, you see Mr Kray, during those years 'going up' could be construed as 'going up' the table and although another promotion could not be achieved (barring the advent of a European Super League) I don't think it alters the fundemental point which is 'going up' meant the club was going in an upwards direction as opposed to 'going up' to a physical location and er,

LOOK OVER THERE! KYLIE MINOGUE'S TAKING HER CLOTHES OFF!!

*ducks out of thread*

:D :D

PS. The 'Photo Diary' thread is still going. It gets updated as quickly as google images or the SBS TV site provide new pics of Hans or Ellemieke!

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
Moshe Gariani said:
it is... Brovian is on a ridiculous wind-up...!

He is the founding (and only?) member of the Society for the Protection of the "And We'll" in Good Old Sussex by the Sea

the words to GOSBTS chanted by countless thousands of Albion fans are all "wrong" anyway but "to win the cup" mirrors the 4 syllables in "we're going up" - is what 99.9% of us have always sung - sounds better - and trying to make loyal fans feel bad about not knowing the proper words to their favourite song is simply mean - end of

How did I miss this thread yeserday!

This is not a wind up, the words ARE:

We're going up AND We'll win the Cup.

As Football Fans we are eternal optimists, so for me it's promotion AND the Cup every time.
:clap2:

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
Moshe Gariani said:
IDKM made a patronising post about the correct words to terrace chants... I merely pointed out to him that as far as I'm aware most of the North Stand used to sing "Going down Old Shoreham Road" rather than his suggestion of "Going down THE Old Shoreham Road" (which whilst being grammatically correct doesn't scan as well...)

Patronising ? You must have been looking for that. Ah well. I was being patronising and your post could not be read as that. Hey ho.

And when I stood on the North Stand we used to sing "the". At least I assume everybody else was singing the same as me. Like "the" Scotswood Road.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here