Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gosbts

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Brovian said:
Yeah I think my signature for a while had something along those lines - saved me having to type it every post.

I still hope that one day the collective intelligence of Brighton fans will rise above that of a cabbage patch but I'm not holding my breath .....

:D

Perhaps if more had gone to public schools eh Brovian?

:jester: :jester: :jester: :jester:

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
varga-girl-with-bugle.jpg

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
Brovian said:
Never mind Norman Wisdom the version we sing should be:

"Going up AND WE'LL win the Cup" not "TO win the Cup" which only made sense when we were playing Man Utd at Wembley in 1983. Anybody who still sings "Going up to win the Cup" in 2006 is a thick, ignorant, straw-brained dullard.

..... and relax.

(I may have mentioned this before .....)

Sorry, but I was born in 1987 and started singing at the albion in about 2003. I cant help that the version everyone sings is "TO win the cup", as this is therefore the version I learnt.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
DAMANCLAY said:
Sorry, but I was born in 1987 and started singing at the albion in about 2003. I cant help that the version everyone sings is "TO win the cup", as this is therefore the version I learnt.
But it doesn't make any SENSE! AAAAAGGGGHHHH!

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
DAMANCLAY said:
Why does it not make sense?

"And were going up to win the cup for Sussex by the sea" makes sense to me.
HOW does it make sense? We're playing Forest away in the League, what has they got to do with 'going up to win a cup'? The pre-1983 words, "going up and we'll win the cup" was a statement: we're good enough to get promoted and win the FA or League cup. Ok, we weren't but it was just a general hymn of praise to our glorious team. 'Going up to win the cup', whilst it does have a narrow (and occasionally relevant) meaning doesn't have the same broad-based, functional relevance to cover all Albion games. And it doesn't make us sound so ambitious. Is that all we want to do? Win a cup? What about promotion?

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I always thought it was, "and we're going up to win the cup, for Sussex by the Sea"

That is what I always sing anyway

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
Brovian said:
HOW does it make sense? We're playing Forest away in the League, what has they got to do with 'going up to win a cup'? The pre-1983 words, "going up and we'll win the cup" was a statement: we're good enough to get promoted and win the FA or League cup. Ok, we weren't but it was just a general hymn of praise to our glorious team. 'Going up to win the cup', whilst it does have a narrow (and occasionally relevant) meaning doesn't have the same broad-based, functional relevance to cover all Albion games. And it doesn't make us sound so ambitious. Is that all we want to do? Win a cup? What about promotion?

It makes enough sense for me to be honest, Its not like its grammatically incorrect.

I prefer how "going up to win the cup" sounds anyway. I think going up covers promotion.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
tedebear said:
I think I'll start singing "going up to look at the cup"..... it sounds more appropriate than winning it surely ;) :angel:

shut it aussie bird

:wave: :wave: :wave: :wave: :wave:

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Dies Irae said:
I always thought it was, "and we're going up to win the cup, for Sussex by the Sea"

That is what I always sing anyway
it is... Brovian is on a ridiculous wind-up...!

He is the founding (and only?) member of the Society for the Protection of the "And We'll" in Good Old Sussex by the Sea

the words to GOSBTS chanted by countless thousands of Albion fans are all "wrong" anyway but "to win the cup" mirrors the 4 syllables in "we're going up" - is what 99.9% of us have always sung - sounds better - and trying to make loyal fans feel bad about not knowing the proper words to their favourite song is simply mean - end of

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
DAMANCLAY said:
It makes enough sense for me to be honest, Its not like its grammatically incorrect.

I prefer how "going up to win the cup" sounds anyway. I think going up covers promotion.
I realise I'm being a pedantic old bastard - but HOW does it cover promotion? You don't get a 'cup' for winning the division (it's a 'trophy') and you don't go 'up' for it. You certainly don't get one for coming second and I think even the play-off prize is called a 'trophy'.

However I will graciously, as a special treat, let you sing it when we're playing Boston in the League Cup as it is relevant then!

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Moshe Gariani said:
it is... Brovian is on a ridiculous wind-up...!

He is the founding (and only?) member of the Society for the Protection of the "And We'll" in Good Old Sussex by the Sea

the words to GOSBTS chanted by countless thousands of Albion fans are all "wrong" anyway but "to win the cup" mirrors the 4 syllables in "we're going up" - is what 99.9% of us have always sung - sounds better - and trying to make loyal fans feel bad about not knowing the proper words to their favourite song is simply mean - end of
:lolol: :lolol:

I can't BELIEVE it matters so much to me! It always grates when I hear "going up to win the cup" and I always shout out "AND WE'LL" at that point. Well that's if I haven't got my hands on my ears to shut out the vile blasphemy.

EDIT: 'on' my ears not 'in' my ears!

Last edited:

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
Brovian said:
I realise I'm being a pedantic old bastard - but HOW does it cover promotion? You don't get a 'cup' for winning the division (it's a 'trophy') and you don't go 'up' for it. You certainly don't get one for coming second and I think even the play-off prize is called a 'trophy'.

However I will graciously, as a special treat, let you sing it when we're playing Boston in the League Cup as it is relevant then!

Oh dear god - I thought that when we sung GOSBTS was the only time we were united in one true voice as unified fans of the mighty blue and white - but alas my dream is shattered - we're a devided group of arguementatives all the time :(

;)

Last edited:

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Brovian said:
when is singing "we're by far the greatest team the world has ever seen" to be allowed next?

NB was true in the late 70s...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here