Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Goodbye to Richard Carpenter ??

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
Kinky Gerbils said:
This club had the chance last year to clear out the old guard and start again, it didnt and that is half the reason Brighton are low in the table - new players needed to be brought in to shake things up a bit.

Don't agree. We need the experience. Maybe its time for Chippy to go, but I wouldn't say the same for OGH or Mayo.. we have a waffer thin squad and they can still perform.

All the best in the future Chippy, hope it all goes well and thanks for the memories. Especially that goal at Swindon.. and for playing in the playoff final with the aid of pain killing injections!

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Good luck Chippy

I will always remember you bitch-slapping that little twattwattwattwat at Hassocks the other week :lolol:

Oh, and all the other good stuff also. Obviously. Top man :thumbsup:

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Kinky Gerbils said:
Its not difficult to understand - you dont renew a contract of one player, more funds MAY be avaliable to spend on new players.
Even without your translator, I actually understood that fairly well...but you obviously don't know the sums involved (or if you do, you're not saying what they are) and totally needlessly removing two of the most experienced players who are still doing a job on the pitch from a squad otherwise comprised of kids is, frankly, a bit of a crap idea, IMHO.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
Biscuit said:
Don't agree. We need the experience. Maybe its time for Chippy to go, but I wouldn't say the same for OGH or Mayo.. we have a waffer thin squad and they can still perform.

All the best in the future Chippy, hope it all goes well and thanks for the memories. Especially that goal at Swindon.. and for playing in the playoff final with the aid of pain killing injections!

We do need some more experienced players in there, but we need players better than what is already there. Santos was brought in as he was an experienced head, but he was not better than the other defenders (in fact worse) and we have shipped him off to Oxford. Not really a good use of wages for the time he was here or signing on fees etc.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Uncle Buck said:
Is there any truth that Mayo has played enough games to trigger a clause in his contract that gives him another year?

With regards to Mayo, pressuming that Rents is given another year and Cobbs is taken on, do we need 3 left backs?
Two of them are kids, plus Mayo's more natural place was always in midfield - he isn't only a left-back - although his options appear to limited in that sense at present. He has also done well at centre-half as well.

Mayo is a bit of a utility player whom I suspect may well get another year. I honestly believe he has more to offer. And he is still only 29 - he's not finished yet.

Last edited:

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
The Large One said:
Two of them are kids, plus Mayo's more natural place was always in midfield - he isn't only a left-back - although his options appear to limited in that sense at present. He has also done well at centre-half as well.

Mayo is a bit of a utility player whom I suspect may well get another year. I honestly believe he has more to offer. And he is still only 29 - he's not finished yet.

Mayo is a left back, he has played most of his games there.

He played in midfield for a couple of seasons when we were in the basement division and even now we have better central midfielders than him.

I do not see it as a big issue having youngseters playing at full back, as long as there is a decent organiser in the defence.

One other thing with Mayo, the position he often looked most impressive in, but has rarely played in recent years was on the left side of 3 centre backs.

Parson Henry

Jan 6, 2004
Victor Bhanerjee's notebook
Uncle Buck said:
Mayo is a left back, he has played most of his games there.

He played in midfield for a couple of seasons when we were in the basement division and even now we have better central midfielders than him.

I do not see it as a big issue having youngseters playing at full back, as long as there is a decent organiser in the defence.

One other thing with Mayo, the position he often looked most impressive in, but has rarely played in recent years was on the left side of 3 centre backs.

I give up. I cannot work out the subtle nuance on the Chippy/Casper leg break with this one.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
The Large One said:

Agree. In an otherwise forgettable game, I thought Kerry played really well against Port Vale, pushing forward and attacking as if he'd been doing it all his life.

If we give him another year then we might have even sorted out his testimonial by then.

Last edited:

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
mendoza10 said:
I hear that he has had his contract paid up, and has left the club.
:clap:

So you could say that's Chippy's contract gone for a bertin?

saltash seagull

Mar 1, 2004
cornwall
surely if chippy has had his contract paid up he wouldn't be able to play fro anyone until next season?

you can only sign an emergency loan
or players that were free agents before the end of jan like bas was

so which 1 does chippy fit into?

Parson Henry

Jan 6, 2004
Victor Bhanerjee's notebook
I don't think he will cost much. In fact I feel a 'Middle of the Road' moment coming on.

Where's our Richard Gone, where's our Richard gone..

Coooeeee..Chippie, Chippie's cheep cheep
'

:blush:

:down:

Crap ...

Last edited:

Yoda

English & European
ChapmansThe Saviour said:
52827.jpg

Another ordacious goal. :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
I once bought Chippy & his bird a drink in some Hove pub, bastard never got me one back :angry:

Many thanks for the GREAT Memorys Chippy, Swindon away & Spurs Away to name but a few :clap: :clap: :bowdown: :clap: :clap:

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
saltash seagull said:
surely if chippy has had his contract paid up he wouldn't be able to play fro anyone until next season?

you can only sign an emergency loan
or players that were free agents before the end of jan like bas was

so which 1 does chippy fit into?
Chippy would be a free agent, and could permanently sign for anyone straight away.

Last edited:

Yoda

English & European
Kinky Gerbils said:
Not sure it would be Lynch could cover in as well.

From what Ive seen of Rents he is as good as Kerry.

But then, in the same sense, who do you have as cover in the centre? Adam Hinshelwood is out for a while yet. El-Adb looks like he could now finish the season at right back. O'Cearuill looks out of sorts at the moment. That only leaves more kids in Tommy Elphick and Paul Hinshelwood.

the Realist

Feb 5, 2006
Diatribe said:
Mayo's testimonial perhaps (if it ever happens).

I would say that it would be an absolute given that Richard Carpenter will be invited back to play in Kerry's testimonial (along with the likes of Danny Cullip, Adam Virgo ... none of which got a Withdean send-off incidentally)

Perhaps not Leon Knight and Dan Harding though :D

Last edited:

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Best of luck and thanks for all you did

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here