Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Good ol' Delusional Naylor.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Joel Lynch is not that good at left-back - at least, his best games were in the centre. Anyhow, he unilaterally decided to get the hump and go bench-warming in Nottingham, so he can reap what he sows. Having said that, he didn't even warm the bench last Saturday, despite recovering from injury.

I was talking about the team Micky inherited. On paper you might be right about those six players you've mentioned, but at no time were any four of those at the club at the same time, so it's hard to judge.

"unilaterally decided to get the hump" - Micky's the manager, his issue to deal with.
"at no time were any four of those at the club at the same time" - again, as manager, it is Micky's responsibility to have the right players playing in the right positions together. It is not "bad luck" they weren't at the club at the same time.

Surely you can't deny Thornton was woefully misused? That game against Cheltenham was one of the best displays by a single player I've seen for years at the Withdean. After that, dropped. If he was misbehaving to the point where Micky couldn't play him, GET RID. Don't have him sitting there or bring him on for 4 mins at the end of games.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
If you look at the team Wilkins left us with I honestly thought that the following could quite easily be playing in a promotion-winning side the following season:

Kuipers, Whing, Richards, Lynch, Elphick, Hinshelwood, Cox, Murray, Forster.

If we could have added the likes of Westlake, Currie and Racon, plus one or two decent kids like Sullivan and Fraser, then I feel sure Wilkins would have had us in the top 7 or 8.

Mendoza

NSC's Most Stalked
Surely you can't deny Thornton was woefully misused? That game against Cheltenham was one of the best displays by a single player I've seen for years at the Withdean. After that, dropped. If he was misbehaving to the point where Micky couldn't play him, GET RID. Don't have him sitting there or bring him on for 4 mins at the end of games.

The best bit was, his loan came to an end at the end of that month, and then we EXTENDED it, and still didnt play him

les dynam

Oct 10, 2008
Hove
when we drew with forest away back end of last season we WERE in a play off position i'm sure. i think we were sat 6th in the league that night. so to say we were never in the hunt last season is WRONG.

naylor you're not a journalist anymore. you've become a spin doctor. you have NO integrity left.

zego

Jul 10, 2003
Answered your own question. Players look horrendously unfit and unmotivated.

Maybe you are watching a different team.

My team doesn't always win, but always gives their all in the games I have seen, despite depletions due to loan players returning home, and injuries sustained in the battles.

But I have to say I've never seen them play at home, where I understand they are often booed, sometimes before the game has even started, sometimes before they come on as substitutes.

Add a stream of derogatory comment on NSC based on arguments such as colour of hair, and frequently un-spoiled by having actually been at the match nor taking any account of 11 players on the same pitch who are trying their best to beat us.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
"unilaterally decided to get the hump" - Micky's the manager, his issue to deal with.
"at no time were any four of those at the club at the same time" - again, as manager, it is Micky's responsibility to have the right players playing in the right positions together. It is not "bad luck" they weren't at the club at the same time.

No matter how much people have the hump over how the team is playing at the moment, and how much Micky is (rightly) getting it in the neck, I'm not going to go along to the carte blanche using of Joel Lynch's flouncing attitude to be another thing to beat Micky with. How can anyone deal with a player who doesn't want to be dealt with? Lynch's attitude sucks. Micky wanted him to stay (he turned down his transfer request twice), Lynch wanted to go somewhere that had dangled a carrot under his nose.

You're right it's not 'bad luck' they weren't at the club at the same time - it's a fact. FWIW I never particuarly rated O'Callaghan (good for a couple of games - liability thereafter, mainly getting under Hammond's feet), and Livermore has looked less than impressive - even given his matches in the centre of midfield. Thornton blew hot and cold for me - outstanding one match, not up for it the next.

Notwithstanding Micky's shocking under-performance this season, there is no-one who can honestly believe that the squad he inherited was good enough for the Championship, surely? Three or four players short for the Play-offs, at least seven or eight short to survive in the next division up. That was what I was thinking at the time, any rate.

But I have to say I've never seen them play at home, where I understand they are often booed, sometimes before the game has even started, sometimes before they come on as substitutes.

That is utter rubbish, I have seen 90% of the home games this season and I have not heard any booing before the game has started or any booing of a player about to come on as a substitute!

paulclark

Sep 7, 2008
well done john at last someones telling the truth

is naylor on adams family tree we have watched 3 good games this year man city millwall leicester the rest have been utter crap

as for w.ere exactly the same as last year under wilkins we were never 5th from bottom the bad run we went thru might have had something to do with dk playing games with baz savage and o callaghan im afraid we are going down
:yahoo::ascarf::falmer::albion2:
why loan 5 players that are never going to be ours and then not replace them or thompson then winge were down to bare bones

I didn't call for Micky's dismissal. I said I wanted the old one back.

Barnham Seagull

Yapton Actually
Dec 28, 2005
Yapton
No matter how much people have the hump over how the team is playing at the moment, and how much Micky is (rightly) getting it in the neck, I'm not going to go along to the carte blanche using of Joel Lynch's flouncing attitude to be another thing to beat Micky with. How can anyone deal with a player who doesn't want to be dealt with? Lynch's attitude sucks. Micky wanted him to stay (he turned down his transfer request twice), Lynch wanted to go somewhere that had dangled a carrot under his nose.

You're right it's not 'bad luck' they weren't at the club at the same time - it's a fact. FWIW I never particuarly rated O'Callaghan (good for a couple of games - liability thereafter, mainly getting under Hammond's feet), and Livermore has looked less than impressive - even given his matches in the centre of midfield. Thornton blew hot and cold for me - outstanding one match, not up for it the next.

Notwithstanding Micky's shocking under-performance this season, there is no-one who can honestly believe that the squad he inherited was good enough for the Championship, surely?

No but the squad was good enough for a top half finnish.

We have swapped a manager for one who operates a totaly different style to the last using the players that suited the last manager.

Micky will change the squad, lets hope that we do not go down in the process and that his side will be good enough.

Unfortunately I have seen nothing to make me think he can make us into a half decent side.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
How can anyone deal with a player who doesn't want to be dealt with?

Surely that sort of thing is EXACTLY what separates a good manager from an average one? You think Joel Lynch is any harder to deal with than Cristiano Ronaldo, Craig Bellamy, Ashley Cole or Didier Drogba? No chance.

If I was a player and heard the lack of ambition shown in Adams post-match interviews, I too would probably want to leave and go to a club with a manager that actually believed in themselves.

Barnham Seagull

Yapton Actually
Dec 28, 2005
Yapton
Surely that sort of thing is EXACTLY what separates a good manager from an average one? You think Joel Lynch is any harder to deal with than Cristiano Ronaldo, Craig Bellamy, Ashley Cole or Didier Drogba? No chance.

If I was a player and heard the lack of ambition shown in Adams post-match interviews, I too would probably want to leave and go to a club with a manager that actually believed in themselves.

My thoughts exactly.

We have lost a lot of talent recently because we failed to deal with the players in a proper way. Hammond and Savage to name two - thow this is down to Knight rather that Micky.

bright1064

Dec 21, 2007
Brighton
The way he still manages to get a little dig in at Wilkins is ridiculous. How the hell can he slate Wilkins and defend Adams?? His Adams obsessed journalism is SICKLY to read.

zego

Jul 10, 2003
That is utter rubbish, I have seen 90% of the home games this season and I have not heard any booing before the game has started or any booing of a player about to come on as a substitute!

Sorry, just going on posts from posters on NSC who claim to have been at home matches - for example BHA vs Luton.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
No but the squad was good enough for a top half finnish.

We have swapped a manager for one who operates a totaly different style to the last using the players that suited the last manager.

Micky will change the squad, lets hope that we do not go down in the process and that his side will be good enough.

Unfortunately I have seen nothing to make me think he can make us into a half decent side.

Agreed. But the club wanted more than 'a top-half finish', possibly in order to be an established Championship club in time for Falmer.

Sadly, in bringing in Adams, it has so far backfired on them.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM

You're not comparing like with like.

If those players flounce at the club they're, what happens? They leave - knowing that they're in a position to command a good lifestyle with someone else. Except in Ronaldo's case, where could he have gone except downwards, from the biggest, richest club in Europe who also happen to be the European and World Champions?

Could ANYONE at Brighton (or any other Third Division club) prevent their equivalent from happening?

Now you're using hindsight as justification. We had not made that bad a start to the season (not great, but not bad) by the time Lynch decided to bugger off.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
So no managers at this level can control their "fiery" players?

Spider

Sep 15, 2007
I can't believe he's allowed to write shit like that - as plenty have said it's a complete lie. We did, at one point, slip down to the bottom half of the table, but never to 20th, and anyway that was only because of having games in hand.

Last year we had 34 points after 24 games, after the same amount of games this year we have 23. Not to mention the fact that last year we were just 6 points of the play offs at this point, as it stand we are 21 points off (with a game in hand).

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
So no managers at this level can control their "fiery" players?

I didn't say that.

My point is that I believe that Lynch was simply looking for an excuse to bite on the carrot that was being dangled in front of him (a move to Forest) after Micky had said 'No, I want you here'.

One could argue Micky presented him with that excuse, but as excuses go, it's pretty lame.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I didn't say that.

My point is that I believe that Lynch was simply looking for an excuse to bite on the carrot that was being dangled in front of him (a move to Forest) after Micky had said 'No, I want you here'.

How else do you get out of a three-year contract?

Perhaps that....mixed with the fact Mickey bought TWO central defenders when we already had cover.

But fair enough. I believe that over time Lynch will prove that it was the right move for him and he will continue to play a higher level than us for years to come.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Perhaps that....mixed with the fact Mickey bought TWO central defenders when we already had cover.

But fair enough. I believe that over time Lynch will prove that it was the right move for him and he will continue to play a higher level than us for years to come.

The irony being that, if he'd have stayed here, he could have now been playing regularly, possibly keeping Hinshelwood out of the team.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here