Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Glen Murray

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Wow showing your maturity there, he's had 2 good games all season where he has shown his potential, but these games don't come around enough for him to be considered in GP squad next season IMO.

2 good games, you sure about that? In games where he has not scored he has still been quality holding the ball up and generally making space for others. Just because he don't score 3 every game does not mean he has played badly

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
He's not shit, but he's definitley overrrated by many on here. He really does blow hot and cold, especally when you compare him to the top strikers in this division (Holt, Barnard, Lambert etc). I'm interested to see who we bring in in the summer because we need more consistency if we are to challenge for play off's/promotion next year.

fleet

Jul 28, 2003
The difference bwteen promotion and relegation in this league is finishing chances and avoiding silly mistakes at the back - simple as that. We will dominate most games but will not win as we do not have anyone who is clinical at finishing - this season it has not been Forster or Murray - or any of the others. We must get a striker who puts the chances away almost every time.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
The last time he had a good game was at Wycombe and before that it was Southampton.

With that sentence alone you destroy your own argument.

If you honestly can't see what he offers this team then maybe you should stick to watching the Premier League on Match of the Day, where they explain everything for you.

Murray was instrumental in the run of good form prior to the Hartlepool defeat, playing on his own up front and feeding off balls from the wide players. Many strikers simply aren't good enough to play as the 1 in a 4-5-1 formation, because they don't have the ability to hold it up and hold players off. Murray clearly is good enough, a point emphasised by how obviously toothless we were during his (admittedly self-imposed) suspension. He's scored (I think) 14 goals this season in a team that has been utter shite for vast portions of it, and having missed a number of games due to injury or suspension. He has an excellent football brain, he can finish perfectly well on his day- like any striker-, and if you think he's lazy, then you evidently haven't seen how many headers he wins in our own six yard box from opposition corners.

He had ONE bad game last night- and even then, he was still getting into positions to score, he just missed chances on the day. As someone else has pointed out, even Lionel Messi has games where he doesn't score. I notice Austin and Paynter haven't hit the net for Swindon for a couple of games, does that make them shit now?

Murray on his game is a class above most of the players in this team, and he doesn't deserve the shit he still gets on occasion from a few on here. If he was guaranteed to score every time he got the ball he wouldn't be playing for the Albion in League One, would he, he'd be in the Premier League. It would still be great to have another, poacher-type striker to play alongside him for next season, but for now he's what we've got, and I still think with a full pre-season, a bit of confidence and a team on form, he's easily capable of 20 goals next time around. If he misses a few on the way to that 20, so what?

I don't think he's perfect, he does go down a bit easily sometimes, and his penchant for getting stupid bookings is irritating and costly, but if we're going to start ruining players for a single bad game, they might as well all up and leave now. Last week it was Brezovan who got it in the neck after one error, this week it's Murray. Who next? :nono:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
We must get a striker who puts the chances away almost every time.

There's not many strikers roaming around in the 3rd division who do this.
If they did, they wouldn't be in the 3rd division.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003

Incredible, isn't it, how so many people can't grasp that particular concept :lolol:

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
If you look on Soccerbase Muzza has a better goals per game ratio than Fozzie - I think he's got 31 league goals in 62 appearances for the Albion! He also hit a goal every 2 league games for Rochdale.

He's still scored consistently in a period when we've struggled and he has reportedly benn unhappy or injured If Murray stays fit and happy for an entire season and he gets even better players around him then he must be good for 25+ in a season, especially if Gus can unearth someone that suits his style.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Incredible, isn't it, how so many people can't grasp that particular concept :lolol:

Yes, it is a bit odd.
As we've seen, a Zamora will come along once in a generation, and will soon rise to play at their true level. Murray clearly isn't in his class, nor will he ever be, but he IS a decent striker at this level, certainly better than most. Yet he fluffs a few chances and apparently he's "shit", and people are wanting to get rid and bring in someone who "almost never misses".

:facepalm:

I do have a slight fear that this whole Gus / Bloom combo is going to raise expectations to RIDICULOUS levels here, and the moment we look like falling short, its going to be armageddon. Personally, I've been supporting this club long enough now to take the default position that we are probably going to be shit and/or disappointing. Then anything better than that is a bonus.

Soul Finger

May 12, 2004
Wow showing your maturity there, he's had 2 good games all season where he has shown his potential, but these games don't come around enough for him to be considered in GP squad next season IMO.

What?! Says someone whose opening gambit was:

"Murray is shit"

Brilliant.

With succinct comments like that you should consider a career in politics, or possibly McDonald's.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Personally, I've been supporting this club long enough now to take the default position that we are probably going to be shit and/or disappointing. Then anything better than that is a bonus.

This.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Yes, it is a bit odd.
As we've seen, a Zamora will come along once in a generation, and will soon rise to play at their true level. Murray clearly isn't in his class, nor will he ever be, but he IS a decent striker at this level, certainly better than most. Yet he fluffs a few chances and apparently he's "shit", and people are wanting to get rid and bring in someone who "almost never misses".

:facepalm:

I do have a slight fear that this whole Gus / Bloom combo is going to raise expectations to RIDICULOUS levels here, and the moment we look like falling short, its going to be armageddon. Personally, I've been supporting this club long enough now to take the default position that we are probably going to be shit and/or disappointing. Then anything better than that is a bonus.

Exactly. I don't know if it's a thing with the younger supporters on here, or whether it's across the board, but it regularly amazes me how instantly judgemental people can be of players, managers and so on, not just at the Albion but at every club. Man United win ten games in a row then they lose one and BBC 6-0-6 is filled with callers saying Fergie is tactically clueless and can't motivate the players.

I can't remember it being like that when I used to stand on the East Terrace at the Goldstone- OK I was probably fairly young at the time and always full of childish enthusiasm for the game, but I think even then I still had the default brain settting that this was the Albion and therefore statistically the most likely outcome of any given game was disappointment. I knew even at that age that the players we had weren't always going to be world beaters, that they were playing for us because Liverpool and Real Madrid and Juventus didn't fancy them. Even if we were to win League One next season, we're still going to lose games along the way. How are some people going to cope??

We all have bad days at the office. The difference between most of us and Glenn Murray is that we don't have someone telling the world that we're a f***ing waste of space and should be booted out and replaced immediately.*

*Well, OK, I do, but that's usually when I've slapped a set of handcuffs on them and slung them in a cell for 8 hours :bla:

fleet

Jul 28, 2003

Look at the teams at the top and see what they have in common. Even Swindon, who seem rubbish apart from the fact that they score almost every chance, are up there. I'm not suggesting we sign Rooney, just we need the best that this division can offer or slightly higher.

the hitman

Jan 17, 2008
Viva Las Burgess Hill
The last time he had a good game was at Wycombe and before that it was Southampton, he's to inconsistent he hasn't scored enough goals this season and hasn't shown that he's worth £300,000 yet, BUT that's my opinion, i don't know how he still has all your support, after all I've seen of him I've just lost my faith in him, maybe I'm missing something...The only thing t the moment that i see good with him is his touch, but the formation isn't showing that off to its best, but it didn't when he was playing 4-4-2 when he was with Forster, i just think this club isn't for him maybe he will do better some where else..

Agreed. And still some people on here seem to think he is one of the best in the league and would be a decent Championship striker...

Lower mid table in league 1 is his place, definitely not a promotion pushing team (niether are any of our strikers.) Forster is the best we have.

Please do the right thing on saturday Gus, and start with Barnes ahead of Murray.

fleet

Jul 28, 2003
Agreed. And still some people on here seem to think he is one of the best in the league and would be a decent Championship striker...

Lower mid table in league 1 is his place, definitely not a promotion pushing team (niether are any of our strikers.) Forster is the best we have.

Please do the right thing on saturday Gus, and start with Barnes ahead of Murray.

I can't see Barnes in that loan striker position. Murray does it well. The issue is that we need to convert chances and just now we aren't doing that enough.

the hitman

Jan 17, 2008
Viva Las Burgess Hill
Look at the teams at the top and see what they have in common. Even Swindon, who seem rubbish apart from the fact that they score almost every chance, are up there. I'm not suggesting we sign Rooney, just we need the best that this division can offer or slightly higher.

Exactly. We could have 10 quality players passing the ball around like the best team in the division, and if you're striker is not good enough to put away the chances it is all wasted.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here