Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] Glastonbury 2024

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
I am sure ALL of NSC will be cheering on the forum's favourite ever band, Coldplay tonight

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Albion flag spotted on West Holts stage
View attachment 184827
@Bry Nylon's flag spotted during LCD Soundsystem set
IMG_20240629_122054.jpg

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Did Idles ask people to dispense with the flags? :lolol:

I missed that. Must have been gutting and not a little chastening for all those people who think Glastonbury is all about getting their flag seen on telly.
I missed the start. But there were no flags up when I began watching. I did see that someone had a placard and Joe told the bloke to take it down, because it was obstructing the view and his ability to interact with the audience. I am assuming he had already told everyone to take the flags down at the start. Top man. And who can't love a bloke with a Yosser Hughes moustache and a 70p haircut that his missus has died pink? Gizza job.

Grizz

NSC Patron
Jul 5, 2003
Really wanted to see the K-Pop band 17, but still not sure about it all. I get it's a huge industry, hugely manufactured, but it all seemed a bit half-hearted, just going through the motions. Was disappointed.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
As I thought, it's basically just down to your taste in music then. To be fair, artists all have their own bands playing the music live. Its not TOTP.
Not really musical taste. If you like live music then yes I would expect bands to play live and not use backing tracks. If you are happy watching people dancing around pretending to sing and play then that's fine. Dua Lipa used one last night as confirmed on BBC Breakfast this morning - sometimes she is singing live, sometimes she isn't, same with her band.
My personal taste is that I want to hear live music, warts and all, as that makes each live performance unique.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
Can someone explain the Glastonbury hype? I've been once about 20 years ago, thought it was ok.... But really a bunch of middle class white people camping in a field , off their tits on all kind of substances is not my idea of fun. And it seems like the crowd gets older every year.

I'm going to see sza and sampha tonight in Hyde park, it might be glasto lite but feels a lot more appealing, and I can walk home !
Based off your oft stated love of all things shiny and the high life would you have preferred it if they were rich kids off their tits on all kinds of substances?:)

I last went to glastonbury about 20 years ago and loved it. Not sure how much I'd enjoy it now I'm older and much less hardy than I was as a young'un.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Not really musical taste. If you like live music then yes I would expect bands to play live and not use backing tracks. If you are happy watching people dancing around pretending to sing and play then that's fine. Dua Lipa used one last night as confirmed on BBC Breakfast this morning - sometimes she is singing live, sometimes she isn't, same with her band.
My personal taste is that I want to hear live music, warts and all, as that makes each live performance unique.
Live performance takes in many forms though. Dua Lipa’s act is a hugely choreographed show and is quite a different entity to something like, say, Idles. Then again Sleaford Mods is literally one bloke pressing play on a computer placed on a beer crate with another bloke singing. All are live performances in my mind.

I recently watched an interview with Mark Kelly from Marillion, yes I know, who spoke about their live show and how he triggers passages of sampled music on his keyboard when playing live to enable them to perform songs they’ve recorded in a studio. Is this live? If not, where do you draw the line?

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Catching up from yesterday, Sugababes shutting down another stage was a joy

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I am sure ALL of NSC will be cheering on the forum's favourite ever band, Coldplay tonight
Obviously a terrible, terrible band but they make good festival I hear.

Anyone watch LCD soundsystem? Saw him at C2 a few years ago, amazing. One of the best artists of our generation.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Live performance takes in many forms though. Dua Lipa’s act is a hugely choreographed show and is quite a different entity to something like, say, Idles. Then again Sleaford Mods is literally one bloke pressing play on a computer placed on a beer crate with another bloke singing. All are live performances in my mind.

I recently watched an interview with Mark Kelly from Marillion, yes I know, who spoke about their live show and how he triggers passages of sampled music on his keyboard when playing live to enable them to perform songs they’ve recorded in a studio. Is this live? If not, where do you draw the line?
Well it's a very good question and I would say no that is not live. Playing something live to create the sample, then pressing a button to repeat it is ok. But someone else will be along in a minute to say that it's fine.
I had the misfortune to see The Farm earlier in the year at a "festival" in Newcastle (5 bands in reality). They were so bad that the band could not play along to the backing track - the drummer was playing one thing and we could hear something entirely different. It was laughable.
I would say that it would be almost impossible for Dua Lipa (or anyone else for that matter) to dance around like she does and sing to a high quality at the same time. If her fans are happy with that then who am I to argue.

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
Did Idles ask people to dispense with the flags? :lolol:

I missed that. Must have been gutting and not a little chastening for all those people who think Glastonbury is all about getting their flag seen on telly.
Their energy didn't flag. I'm not a huge fan of punk rock 🤔 but theirs was a great set (even on my phone)

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Their energy didn't flag. I'm not a huge fan of punk rock 🤔 but theirs was a great set (even on my phone)
Top punning. I’ll have to try-colour my best to beat it.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Obviously a terrible, terrible band but they make good festival I hear.

Anyone watch LCD soundsystem? Saw him at C2 a few years ago, amazing. One of the best artists of our generation.
I think they are Brilliant

boik

Well it's a very good question and I would say no that is not live. Playing something live to create the sample, then pressing a button to repeat it is ok. But someone else will be along in a minute to say that it's fine.
I had the misfortune to see The Farm earlier in the year at a "festival" in Newcastle (5 bands in reality). They were so bad that the band could not play along to the backing track - the drummer was playing one thing and we could hear something entirely different. It was laughable.
I would say that it would be almost impossible for Dua Lipa (or anyone else for that matter) to dance around like she does and sing to a high quality at the same time. If her fans are happy with that then who am I to argue.
Billy Nomates got tons of stick last year for not having a band. She *IS* her band. Writes everything and plays every instrument. How is she supposed to do that live? I admire her for doing it her way.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Billy Nomates got tons of stick last year for not having a band. She *IS* her band. Writes everything and plays every instrument. How is she supposed to do that live? I admire her for doing it her way.
That's different. She is not pretending to play all the other instruments live. I assume she sings live?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here