Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Food] Getting a dog

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
You really are an odd one. ???
Do you really think a bricklayer learned his trade in 3 months?
Why do you think a plasterer is semi-skilled? But you would pay £250+ ??? I would only pay a skilled plasterer to work in my home.
Having a degree :lolol:
You do realise that many tradespeople also have worked hard at school and gone onto further education?
I did 4 years for my plumbing apprenticeship, 4 days working and 1 long day at college weekly. Exams for City & Guilds after 2 years and Exams for advanced C&G after 4 years.

A tradesperson that has their own business also has many outgoings.

You really are pompous or on a wind up, unless you know nothing about the real world.
I’ve seen the same argument on here many times mate, for some strange reason we are the scum of the earth driving around all day ripping people off :shrug:

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
It’s a 5 year degree course to be a vet . So whilst not the 7 years required to be a medical consultant, it’s a highly skilled job . So don’t be that surprised when the bills as you say aren’t cheap !

What irritates me is when a basic brickie whose probably spent 3 months job shadowing a builder , had the cheek to quote me £750 for less than 2 days work to do some repointing . I won’t pay more than £250 per day for any tradesmen unless it’s at least semi skilled like a plasterer and even then I begrudge paying people that kind of money to people who don’t even have a degree. Not trying to sound pompous or on a wind up but I think it’s only fair that people that worked hard at school and at further education should be paid more . It always used to be like that , tradesmen have only been really earning good money since the 1970’s onwards .

I’ve prepared the accounts for tradespeople for decades. You’re making the age old mistake, normally by tight fisted folk on decent money in a white collar job/profession, who hear of those quoted day rates for a tradesperson, multiply it by 225 days or something similar .... coming up with a bricklayer, plasterer, carpenter, roofer, electrician or plumber on astonishing money per annum.

It doesn’t work like that. In reality, with jobs that go badly wrong financially, periods with no work at all, customers who bump them for money, low paying work taken to keep busy, days off to price up complicated work, no paid holidays or time off for sickness/injuries .... annual turnover is invariably modest. Plus many trades involves back breaking work, people can’t sustain that working at pace for 45 years.

Skills - don’t under estimate the skill of a good bricklayer, landscaper. The finished product is a world apart from a bodger or overly confident DIYer.

Repointing is a horrible and mucky job, working with an angle grinder. Shop around, don’t resent the guy who quoted too much for your liking, you can even give it go yourself.

You’re right about the 70’s, that was a watershed for most jobs in the UK. No longer were bosses of estate agencies, professional practices, large stores, treated like lords, they had to start paying better, staff weren’t trapped for life, 5.5 working weeks disappeared, ridiculous reverence and servitude was rapidly breaking down forever. For the better of the 95% and the detriment of 5% of snobby, arrogant bosses.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Many references in the NT that Jesus worked as a carpenter too in his early years [emoji106][emoji120]

image.jpeg

He was definitely a carpenter, here he is with a very early Makita 445762 cordless saw.

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
I’ve prepared the accounts for tradespeople for decades. You’re making the age old mistake, normally by tight fisted folk on decent money in a white collar job/profession, who hear of those quoted day rates for a tradesperson, multiply it by 225 days or something similar .... coming up with a bricklayer, plasterer, carpenter, roofer, electrician or plumber on astonishing money per annum.

It doesn’t work like that. In reality, with jobs that go badly wrong financially, periods with no work at all, customers who bump them for money, low paying work taken to keep busy, days off to price up complicated work, no paid holidays or time off for sickness/injuries .... annual turnover is invariably modest. Plus many trades involves back breaking work, people can’t sustain that working at pace for 45 years.

Skills - don’t under estimate the skill of a good bricklayer, landscaper. The finished product is a world apart from a bodger or overly confident DIYer.

Repointing is a horrible and mucky job, working with an angle grinder. Shop around, don’t resent the guy who quoted too much for your liking, you can even give it go yourself.

You’re right about the 70’s, that was a watershed for most jobs in the UK. No longer were bosses of estate agencies, professional practices, large stores, treated like lords, they had to start paying better, staff weren’t trapped for life, 5.5 working weeks disappeared, ridiculous reverence and servitude was rapidly breaking down forever. For the better of the 95% and the detriment of 5% of snobby, arrogant bosses.

I don’t think I’m tight fisted but you are right , I did work out that lots of the tradesmen were earning about £150k a year and paying very little tax . I didn’t take everything else into account . I can barely change a light bulb , so won’t make the mistake of attempting any repointing or painting or plastering !

AlastairWatts

Nov 1, 2009
High Wycombe
What ever happened to Mongrels? They're the best dogs.[rs/QUOTE]

Yeah, I've got one - a labrador/rottweiler cross. Lovely nature (but I did have him castrated the first day he was here) and great with the grandchildren. But he's now getting on - around 10 years - and the pet insurance is running @ £65.00 a month. His labrador ancestry means that he will eat quite literally anything (spends his days looking for food) which has meant three expensive trips to the vet.

He's a big lump - now around 45 kilo after a strict diet - and looks the part of a guard dog. Altlhough I live in a pub he's not allowed in the bars except when we're closed, otherwise he just makes a nuisance of himself begging for food. But come to the door after we're shut and he does the full guard dog routine - works a treat!

With literally thousands of dogs looking to be re-homed please, please get a rescue dog. Worth a trip to almost any reputable rescue centre. But be prepared for the walking - great on a day like today but mid-February ain't a whole bundle of fun and also the endless poo collection. (I think mine might be in a compeitition to see who can produce the most) And if you go on holiday or can't get home one night then you need a group of friends prepared to help out.

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado
I don’t think I’m tight fisted but you are right , I did work out that lots of the tradesmen were earning about £150k a year and paying very little tax . I didn’t take everything else into account . I can barely change a light bulb , so won’t make the mistake of attempting any repointing or painting or plastering !

I asked how you made your living - still waiting for an answer - don't be shy

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I’ve seen the same argument on here many times mate, for some strange reason we are the scum of the earth driving around all day ripping people off :shrug:

To be fair I still like to keep my hand in. So I still rip people off 1 job in 4.

Mr Putdown

Jan 26, 2004
Christchurch
What irritates me is when a basic brickie whose probably spent 3 months job shadowing a builder , had the cheek to quote me £750 for less than 2 days work to do some repointing.

I wouldn’t cut out and repoint brickwork for £750 a day, never mind two, irrespective of the skill involved. It’s one of the most boring, shite jobs out there.

What do you for work, out of interest?

I’d hazard a guess you’ve got very soft hands.

Juan Albion

Chicken Sniffer 3rd Class
Many references in the NT that Jesus worked as a carpenter too in his early years [emoji106][emoji120]

Not really. One mention of being a carpenter and one of being a carpenter's son. And both were questions, although likely rhetorical. But the term for carpenter probably included stone work, so he might have laid a few bricks for you as well.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
It’s a 5 year degree course to be a vet . So whilst not the 7 years required to be a medical consultant, it’s a highly skilled job . So don’t be that surprised when the bills as you say aren’t cheap !

What irritates me is when a basic brickie whose probably spent 3 months job shadowing a builder , had the cheek to quote me £750 for less than 2 days work to do some repointing . I won’t pay more than £250 per day for any tradesmen unless it’s at least semi skilled like a plasterer and even then I begrudge paying people that kind of money to people who don’t even have a degree. Not trying to sound pompous or on a wind up but I think it’s only fair that people that worked hard at school and at further education should be paid more . It always used to be like that , tradesmen have only been really earning good money since the 1970’s onwards .

First cafe owners and now trades people. You really know how to make friends don't you ! And you should really stop converting degrees - some of the laziest and entitled people I've interviewed have been degree holds with an attitude that makes them think they have some god given right to the role 'because I have a degree you know' !

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Got to love NSC and the way it can veer so far off topic, with the bonus of a binfest on this thread too

Has the OP decided on his dog breed yet?

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Got to love NSC and the way it can veer so far off topic, with the bonus of a binfest on this thread too

Probably a Boxer, it seems having a trade is advantageous.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010

I've decided to sod the dog and re-train as a builder off the back of this thread.

Just practicing that noise of sucking air through my teeth before commenting that 'This won't come cheap'

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta

I think that shows a complete fail!

So anyone without a degree should earn less than those that are academic ?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here