Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Food] Getting a dog

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
Keep an eye out some time this year as the Government are publishing an overhaul of the tenancy agreements that will allow pets in rented properties. It may not help your current tenancy but you will be able to find a new property a lot easier that will have to accept pets.

I believe it's only the model tenancy agreement that they are proposing to change, it doesn't make any material difference legally. One is still allowed to reasonably refuse pets...

arewethereyet?

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
I believe it's only the model tenancy agreement that they are proposing to change, it doesn't make any material difference legally. One is still allowed to reasonably refuse pets...

Yes the model tenancy, hopefully it would make “reasonable” landlords think more morally why it can be beneficial to their tenants, I’m sure there can be reasonable wear and tear and or accidental damage clauses put into agreements. I have been renting my current property for 19 years and we were allowed to get a dog nearly 14 years ago, my landlord is a rare breed of absolutely fantastic.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Yes the model tenancy, hopefully it would make “reasonable” landlords think more morally why it can be beneficial to their tenants, I’m sure there can be reasonable wear and tear and or accidental damage clauses put into agreements. I have been renting my current property for 19 years and we were allowed to get a dog nearly 14 years ago, my landlord is a rare breed of absolutely fantastic.

It's not simply wear and tear though is it?

As with smokers, the unfortunate thing with dogs (and other animals) is the long term odour that remains. Lovers of said creatures are often oblivious through long term smellage, but there IS a residual odour that can be hard to shift.

Any future tenant might not be so keen share the whiff of Fido.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Patterdale terrier is a good shout

A bit Stubborn ( Lancastrian)

theyre not a pure breed so don't seem to have health inbreeding issues.

ours has a bit of something else ging on so a bittaller than average, but lovely laid back temperment, great with kids, barks when appropriate, good at football, chases cats/pigeons all the normal dog stuff. very loyal and affectionate. likes a swim in the river/sea

most importantly, a clean dog, not too big or small (14kg) short haired and he doesn't smell like a sewer rat, even when wet . . . .apart from the timer he rolled in goat shit!

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
For years, my wife and kids have been nagging to get a dog and my efforts to postpone the inevitable are as flimsy as Boris defence of the Cumquat. Whilst I know what will happen - after 2 weeks I'll be the only one walking the thing whilst the kids smash the PS4 - I've cracked and starting to think of the practicalities of owning one and bagging a turd in the morning before work.

Advice from the floor please as I don't know where to start

Do's, don'ts, makes, models, stories of how it changes the dynamic in the house but none about dogs at work. I've read enough about those on here. One of us is working at home so it won't be lonely.

I guess we want one that isn't on the go all the time, not massive or has more hair than Richard Keyes and I don't want a small yappy one like scrappy do or an angry one that looks like it wants to eat small children. Mrs would like a cockapoo or similar but they are upwards of a grand FFS.

Doesn't really answer any of your specific questions, but I've been in the same position recently and now there is a dog living in our house because democracy rules ok. The only difference is that I put my foot down from the outset and said that I didn't want it impacting on my life at all. That means I don't walk it, feed it, play with it, pick up its shite, let it in the car (Mrs C doesn't drive) or generally have anything to do with it. He's a nice enough dog, but I never wanted one in the house and I still don't. Sadly the old 'a dog is for life, not just for Christmas' cliché has kicked in a bit here and Mrs C is pretty much the only one who bothers with it (in terms of the walks and the exercise it needs). To the point where I actually feel sorry for it – and her.

It's a baby cockerpoo? (is that what they're called) and he's relatively chilled most of the time, if that helps...

boik

We lost Meg last summer to canine hepatitis after 10 amazing years. Now ready to get another one, but it's very difficult to find a specific cross-breed unless it end in "poo". If anyone knows of a German Shepherd/Lab cross anywhere please pm me. Would prefer a puppy or <1 year old.

P1000790.JPG

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I have a Podengo/collie cross (there are probably other breeds mixed up too)

Mongrels are great

Rocco, our hound is a bitser , ,It says Patterdale on his passport etc but there's something else going on. a bit collie, he's nearly 5 and still looks like a collie lab cross puppy. we've given up trying to guess what the full recipe is, but 'he's a good boy'

southdownswolf

Aug 4, 2003
eastbourne
What ever breed dog you get, it's how you train it that makes the biggest difference.
You have to make sure that you are in control of it and teach it good habits.

Which is probably why our two little ***** control the sofa and bed rather than us.......

Anyway, this is my little Sussex / Springer spaniel cross. Springer's are loopy as hell and Sussex are stubborn little so and so's, so a cross really is as mental as it sounds....
33185541173_bcf3e71cfa_h.jpg
49636789821_22cb1068b5_h.jpg

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I have been under pressure for some time to get a dog and I am fighting gamely on. Too many negatives for me, the poor thing would be stuck in the house most of the day unless I did the walking duties. Was close to getting an ex Racing Greyhound once as a friend had a pair and they were lovely..

I think you have to be a Dog Person as you have to fully commit.

When we were discussing the merits of getting a dog all those years (Dixie)!ago I was in the minority:.. I gave n and never regretted a day of it. I know of a carpenter who can put a dog flap in free of charge. Would need t be happy without that if you are out all day.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
My dog has been sick this last week after a hefty vets bill she’s finally turned the corner thank god. A thing to remember when getting a dog vets aren’t cheap.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
When we were discussing the merits of getting a dog all those years (Dixie)!ago I was in the minority:.. I gave n and never regretted a day of it. I know of a carpenter who can put a dog flap in free of charge. Would need t be happy without that if you are out all day.

This carpenter, can do a Greyhound size one then ?

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
What ever breed dog you get, it's how you train it that makes the biggest difference.
You have to make sure that you are in control of it and teach it good habits.

Which is probably why our two little ***** control the sofa and bed rather than us.......

Anyway, this is my little Sussex / Springer spaniel cross. Springer's are loopy as hell and Sussex are stubborn little so and so's, so a cross really is as mental as it sounds....
View attachment 124118
View attachment 124119

Those eyes :smile: very nice looking dog, someone that lives near me has got a Springer and Cocker cross, a Sprocker I believe, it's stunning.

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
My dog has been sick this last week after a hefty vets bill she’s finally turned the corner thank god. A thing to remember when getting a dog vets aren’t cheap.

It’s a 5 year degree course to be a vet . So whilst not the 7 years required to be a medical consultant, it’s a highly skilled job . So don’t be that surprised when the bills as you say aren’t cheap !

What irritates me is when a basic brickie whose probably spent 3 months job shadowing a builder , had the cheek to quote me £750 for less than 2 days work to do some repointing . I won’t pay more than £250 per day for any tradesmen unless it’s at least semi skilled like a plasterer and even then I begrudge paying people that kind of money to people who don’t even have a degree. Not trying to sound pompous or on a wind up but I think it’s only fair that people that worked hard at school and at further education should be paid more . It always used to be like that , tradesmen have only been really earning good money since the 1970’s onwards .

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
We have a Border Terrier, great with kids, lovely affectionate dog, mad as sh1t and a mind of his own, wouldn't swap him for the World.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
we've had our Labradoodle for 9 years now and love her to bits. biggest issue though is cost when they get older, we spend circa £350 a month on her and increasing. the other thing is to take into account having people to look after them when you go out. we have a 4 year old daughter now as well and the dog is far more of a bind, cant go out for more than a few hours, can't take her with you when you go out to most places, holidays involve the extra cost of kennels as do days out if you want them (usually £25 a day approx)

As stat mentioned, you'll love it to bits and want to be with it more than the family soon enough though! :)

£350 a month is almost a third of my monthly income, scale down to gerbils or charge the dog rent.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here