Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Food] Getting a dog

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Rescue dogs could go either way, so could a breeders. There will always be an element of luck of the draw where animals are involved. I guess research is key plus crossed fingers.

Nah, go for a rescue. Yes, it's a matter of chance but centres tend to know their dogs and will find a suitable one. And at least you haven't forked out a grand. You've given a donation to help other dogs and at least you know you'll have done some good,

My rescue dog is snuggled under my desk as I type this - she's intelligent, loyal, friendly and a great guard dog. I'd have really missed out if I hadn't picked her

nickjhs

NSC Patron
Apr 9, 2017
Ballarat, Australia
Plan to get 2. Get the first one, settle in with it then get the second. Having two dogs is so much easier than one. They entertain each other at home and on walks. A single dog demands a lot more of your attention, can have separation anxiety issues, etc.. With 2 you are still a massive part of their lives but you can also have the great enjoyment of sitting on the sidelines watching them play.

If you have never had a dog before I strongly suggest you check out what dog clubs are in your area. The first few months are absolutely vital if you want a great relationship with the woofa, you need to set the boundaries, and knowing how to do this does not come easily to some people. Get this period wrong and you end up with a dog that can not be let off the lead, drags your arm off when walking on the lead, chews everything, wont do anything it is asked and basically rules the roost. Some basic obedience and understanding dog psychology makes all the difference. My sister travels all over the US as a dog trainer and spends most of her time training the owners. One extremely important rule with two new dogs, let them work out their own pecking order. They will get into a fight STAY OUT OF IT, unless it is going too far and blood starts spurting. If you step in you will have years of niggling and games ending in fights because the pecking order is not settled.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here