Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Getafe match thread

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
Eh ? You draw that conclusion from a too-late kick-off friendly against modest opposition in the school holidays ?

No. More from the fact that the 7000 ST waiting list seems to have evaporated in the space of just over 1 season and if you look at the availability already for the first couple of home games there appears to be plenty of tickets still available. Also loads of people on here saying how much they miss the live match experience but didn't bother with the 1 home friendly we had.

redoubtable seagull

Oct 27, 2004
Am I the only one that thought Connolly was quite good yesterday? Hassled and harried and made a lot of good runs.
Was lacking service and desperately needed someone alongside him but I'm not sure he deserves all the stick he is getting.

Not for me. A one dimensional player who is very easy to defend against. It could be a confidence thing but if the club can, and as many have said before, he needs to go out on loan to a team with a good, progressive coaching set up to see if he can demonstrate his potential.

Kneon Light

Jul 24, 2003
Falkland Islands
Not for me. A one dimensional player who is very easy to defend against. It could be a confidence thing but if the club can, and as many have said before, he needs to go out on loan to a team with a good, progressive coaching set up to see if he can demonstrate his potential.

For me he just needs a striking partner. Won possession lots by forcing errors from defence/keeper. On his own I agree he can be easy to defend against but with someone alongside offering a different threat I think he is more than capable.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
No. More from the fact that the 7000 ST waiting list seems to have evaporated in the space of just over 1 season and if you look at the availability already for the first couple of home games there appears to be plenty of tickets still available. Also loads of people on here saying how much they miss the live match experience but didn't bother with the 1 home friendly we had.

Not only has the waiting list gone but there are still season tickets available.

However, that's not the whole story. I'd agree that it would be concerning if it hadn't been for Covid but there are some uncomfortable truths to face up to:

- Some people will simply not want to take the Covid risk, even with the pass requirement
- Some people will no longer have the same level of disposable income or job security
- Some may have unfortunately died
- Some may not accept the need for a Covid pass

Undoubtedly there will be those who also can't be arsed to sit through another season of sixteenth place, forty points and always being mentioned on MOTD as "in the relegation battle". This part is the only one the club are really in control of, hence why I've been banging this particular drum for a while.

redoubtable seagull

Oct 27, 2004
Not only has the waiting list gone but there are still season tickets available.

However, that's not the whole story. I'd agree that it would be concerning if it hadn't been for Covid but there are some uncomfortable truths to face up to:

- Some people will simply not want to take the Covid risk, even with the pass requirement
- Some people will no longer have the same level of disposable income or job security

Undoubtedly there will be those who also can't be arsed to sit through another season of sixteenth place, forty points and always being mentioned on MOTD as "in the relegation battle". This part is the only one the club are really in control of, hence why I've been banging this particular drum for a while.

To follow the theme, it was interesting to see that full capacity was allowed for the community shield at Wembley last night yet the attendance was only 45000. Now we know this game is no more than a pre season friendly for the two teams involved and Man City fans are bored of travelling to Wembley and never sell their allocation but Leicester only took 19000. To add to you your list it makes you wonder if fan apathy and being away from games so long is a factor.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
To follow the theme, it was interesting to see that full capacity was allowed for the community shield at Wembley last night yet the attendance was only 45000. Now we know this game is no more than a pre season friendly for the two teams involved and Man City fans are bored of travelling to Wembley and never sell their allocation but Leicester only took 19000. To add to you your list it makes you wonder if fan apathy and being away from games so long is a factor.

Yes, I thought about fan apathy and then forgot to add it to my post. Some people have just got out of the habit. My mate's son would have been one of those had he not been persuaded to give it one more go against Man City (which of course convinced him football was brilliant again)

Milano

Aug 15, 2012
Sussex but not by the sea
The fact that the ST wait list has just disappeared must be keeping Barber up at night. With a waiting list then it’s a lot easier to bring in unpopular policies such as steady price rises, no bottle tops, etc. With no wait list and even worse not selling out game by game then that position becomes weakened. Add in you now can’t lend a friend your ticket for a match without hassle, ID check, significant price rises (£5.50 for a cheeseburger now, £2.50 for a bottle of coke, seriously?) and I expect we might see this get worse before it gets better. I predict sub 27k crowds for some matches this season.

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
West...West.......WEST SUSSEX
The fact that the ST wait list has just disappeared must be keeping Barber up at night. With a waiting list then it’s a lot easier to bring in unpopular policies such as steady price rises, no bottle tops, etc. With no wait list and even worse not selling out game by game then that position becomes weakened. Add in you now can’t lend a friend your ticket for a match without hassle, ID check, significant price rises (£5.50 for a cheeseburger now, £2.50 for a bottle of coke, seriously?) and I expect we might see this get worse before it gets better. I predict sub 27k crowds for some matches this season.

You are probably correct in your assessment of crowds going down but I don't for one minute think we will be an isolated case. In fact if we averaged 27k for the whole season I would imagine a lot of people would be delighted with this set of figures after what is the season after a pandemic.
I for one was considering buying a ticket for the Watford game but when it came to it I wasn't ready yet. Call me bad fan, pathetic, wussy, whatever you like but the fact is it will take time for people to get back to feeling normal, I am not alone in feeling like this.

Goring-by-Seagull

Jan 5, 2012
significant price rises (£5.50 for a cheeseburger now, £2.50 for a bottle of coke, seriously?).

You're quite right here - last night I bought a Harvey's and burger for myself, and a bottle of coke and hot dog for the boy - £17.60. Are they having a laugh? And my burger was absolutely awful- open top cardboard tray and absolutely dry as a nun's wotsit.

Think it used to just be those "gourmet" burgers that were £5.50, the ones wrapped in foil with the "posh" sauce in. Now it's the normal cardboard ones that are 5.50.

They can stick their concourse food up their jacksies now, I'll grab the odd pint in there but otherwise I'll get food outside if need be, at least they're actually decent burgers.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits

ffs....:mad:how did you get to be a mod...:moo: just goes to show its not what ya know but who...:albion2::albion2::albion2:

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
You're quite right here - last night I bought a Harvey's and burger for myself, and a bottle of coke and hot dog for the boy - £17.60. Are they having a laugh? And my burger was absolutely awful- open top cardboard tray and absolutely dry as a nun's wotsit.

Think it used to just be those "gourmet" burgers that were £5.50, the ones wrapped in foil with the "posh" sauce in. Now it's the normal cardboard ones that are 5.50.

They can stick their concourse food up their jacksies now, I'll grab the odd pint in there but otherwise I'll get food outside if need be, at least they're actually decent burgers.

that sux mate ....the amex experience was always pretty good to be honest but they have to realise its a two way deal , they give you good products at a decent price , you lap them up and are happy ......they give you shite , you don't bother and before you know it you'll be sat at home watching it on the box and we'll have 12k in the amex because it's a shite, match day experience.

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
ffs....:mad:how did you get to be a mod...:moo: just goes to show its not what ya know but who...:albion2::albion2::albion2:

WTF are you on?

I've had disagreements with GB over the 40 points, games won stuff and arguments with Vaga before, but what in this post could possibly count as something a mod shouldn't post?

Goring-by-Seagull

Jan 5, 2012
that sux mate ....the amex experience was always pretty good to be honest but they have to realise its a two way deal , they give you good products at a decent price , you lap them up and are happy ......they give you shite , you don't bother and before you know it you'll be sat at home watching it on the box and we'll have 12k in the amex because it's a shite, match day experience.

This is the thing, we will most probably always go for as long as we can. And we WANT to spend money at the club. But if they want to serve up waaaay below standard food for waaaaaayyy above standard prices, we won't spend the money. We get that it's always going to be slightly more expensive than general food outlets. But if it's pretty inedible then that isn't a lot of good is it.

I know it can be a bit hit and miss sometimes and I've had dodgy everything at one point or another over the last 10 years, and have always thought "ah, one off, next one will be fine" but that burger last night was probably from the Man City game.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
WTF are you on?

I've had disagreements with GB over the 40 points, games won stuff and arguments with Vaga before, but what in this post could possibly count as something a mod shouldn't post?
constant ****ing moaning , bitching and whining.....it's not rocket science , we aint gonna compete with the big guns for any bloke who can hit the onion bag ...the celtic fella ..?? ahh well , lets see , he'll probably be shite as well ...Tammy Abraham 40 mill..??:lolol::lolol: it is what it is , sniping at the management is counterproductive shirley..? , when we all stood on the north stand 40 years ago ....yes 40 years ago ffs , did we have an avenue to goad and criticise Mullerry , Melia and to a lesser extent Lloyd cos that when it went tits up ..?? no we didn't ...this constant bitching is really grating ...we are in the prem ffs , we cant compete financially , Citeh fans are pissing themselves over paying 100 mill for grealish who will probably spend half of the season sat on his arse... difficult times....ya ya...:kiss:

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003

Just in from an all-dayer?

I've posted a few things in the past that I've regretted later on but I don't think that post is going to be one of them :lolol:

Worthing exile

May 12, 2009
For me he just needs a striking partner. Won possession lots by forcing errors from defence/keeper. On his own I agree he can be easy to defend against but with someone alongside offering a different threat I think he is more than capable.

Totally agree. Albion lost their way a few times yesterday and just hoofed it and Aaron is not going to win many headers. He needs it to his feet where he can use it or alternatively win free kicks, or he needs to feed off a bigger striker.

Ethelwulf

Apr 6, 2020
West Worthing
Apr 2020 ok Dude...:clap2:

What do you mean April 2020 I have posted on this board under my other user name Vulture since 2002 sorry Mr Angry meant 2003

I look forward to you getting a ban for your attempt to wind up a mod but for now I just put you on my ignore list .

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here