Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Get out your BONDAGE trousers for a thread full of PUNK

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Here's possibly the most comic/tragic Johnny-come-lately punk moment of all time...

'Guns for the Afghan Rebels' by the moronic Gary Bushell-sponsored Angelic Upstarts. And the singer Mensi - wait for it - was a former squaddie.

Not many shouts for that particular song nowadays then. Even on the disgustingly-named Thirtieth Anniversary Celebrations for something that was dead by 1979 :lol:

coventrygull

the right one
Jun 3, 2004
Bridlington Yorkshire
More to the point, why did you go? :rolleyes:

Simple. I liked them so I went. They did a shit gig and refused to do an encore. People started throwing glasses onto the stage. A mate of mine got on stage started to dance and a roadie came at him with an object in his hand. As they say the rest was History. At least they didn't need the van to take away their equipment.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Simple. I liked them so I went. They did a shit gig and refused to do an encore. People started throwing glasses onto the stage.

Bravest band I ever did see in the punk days was Suicide. They used to open for various punk luminaries, and were veritable GLASS-MAGNETS. Best named band EVER :lol:

Tho you had to admire their staying power. Unlike Patrick Fitzgerald at The Clash RAR gig at Victoria Park. Seem to recall he was about a line and a half into his fragile poetry set when a skinhead's can of lager hit him full in the face. No encore that day for the boy. Never even reached the end of the first verse :lol:

coventrygull

the right one
Jun 3, 2004
Bridlington Yorkshire
Bravest band I ever did see in the punk days was Suicide. They used to open for various punk luminaries, and were veritable GLASS-MAGNETS. Best named band EVER :lol:

Tho you had to admire their staying power. Unlike Patrick Fitzgerald at The Clash RAR gig at Victoria Park. Seem to recall he was about a line and a half into his fragile poetry set when a skinhead's can of lager hit him full in the face. No encore that day for the boy. Never even reached the end of the first verse :lol:

Oh yes Suicide supporting the Clash at Crawley. Think the Skinheads broke his jaw that night and he carried on. Bloody scarey gig that.

I remember Patrick getting canned. I think he was on before the Clash. I think he said. I hope you give the Nazis as much grief as you gave me. The funny thing was it was the nazis throwing the cans

:lolol:

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Oh yes Suicide supporting the Clash at Crawley. Think the Skinheads broke his jaw that night and he carried on. Bloody scarey gig that.

Crawley Sports Centre? Yeah, I went to that one. The natives were as evil then as they are now. Not nice having glasses aimed at your head when you're just walking along the road with short hair. Still, nevermind eh, at the end of the day, they still had to go home and live in Crawley :salute:

Last edited:

coventrygull

the right one
Jun 3, 2004
Bridlington Yorkshire
Crawley Sports Centre? Yeah, I went to that one. The natives were as evil then as they are now. Not nice having glasses aimed at your head when you're just walking along the road with short hair. Still, nevermind eh, at the end of the day, they still had to go home and live in Crawley :salute:

The Skins that caused the trouble that night were from Pimlico. I know because they chased me and my mates to the station. Happy days

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Did you ever go to the Greyhound pub in Croydon? Scarey place for punks, what with the ever-lurking skins, and that seriously spongey first-floor dancefloor that threatened to cave in at any moment. Hence the 'Strictly No Pogoing' signs :lol:

coventrygull

the right one
Jun 3, 2004
Bridlington Yorkshire
Did you ever go to the Greyhound pub in Croydon? Scarey place for punks, what with the ever-lurking skins, and that seriously spongey first-floor dancefloor that threatened to cave in at any moment. Hence the 'Strictly No Pogoing' signs :lol:

Never went there. I used to go to the Marquee and the Music Machine in London.

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
Bollocks we smashed them northen monkeys off the stage at the Top Rank :thumbsup:

My first ever gig. It was over 18 yet there was no rhyme nor reason to who got in. I was 14 and got in even though I look 12 and yet my mate who at least looked close to being 18 didn't.

I think the backing band was Subway Sect ... anyway it was very entertaining, though not quite a fraught as the UK Subs at the Top rank and then Crawley Leisure centre.

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
Wasted Life - SLF

[yt]n3mqtXQAunw[/yt]

Mainly notable because a youthful 17-yr-old Trufflehound is somewhere in the middle of the crowd there, about halfway back. It was filmed at the Electric Ballroom on March 10 1979, fellow nerds, by London Weekend Television for an episode of the South Bank Show on Rough Trade Records. I remember distinctly because the bright TV floodlights that day threatened to ruin the atmosphere (but thankfully didn't).

One of the support acts was early electronic-industrial pioneers Robert Rental and The Normal...

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU

A couple of weeks after the above SLf gig I saw the Banshees at the rainbow. The support act was The Human League (back when they were a real band and good). When they played their encore - an electro version of Rock n' Roll Pt 1 - Spizz came on wearing a bacofoil suit, and pranced around doing pretty passable Gary Glitter impressions - perhaps with hindsight not his greatest career choice... :eek:

I saw SpizzOil/SpizzEnergi/AthelticoSpizz 80 several times around that era - he was always a good laugh.

[yt]ahnHa0wBKvU[/yt]

I also note that Spizzenergi are playing the Prince Albert in Brighton TOMORROW. I, however, am in the wrong country... (and besides, I'm already going to see Elbow.)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here