Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Get Off Dean Wilkins Back !!!

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Dean Hammonds contract talks started in October - how is that the begining of the season - his first offer from Dick was lower than his current wage - how is that fair? yes Dick offerred him more but i would say it was too late Dick had taken the piss with previuos offers - With regards to George all he ever did was tell the truth - in the DVD that STH were sent before Xmas he was saying he wanted to stay at the club - this is how Dick repays him - he gets sent back to Ipswich and then shipped back to Ireland !!

Mmm, well that is interesting, my wife and I were talking with DK after a game in April, right at the end of the 07-08 season, and he told us then he was in contract negotiations with Hammond, and that Hammond was asking for way more than he was on, and had told DK he wanted to be the highest earner in the club. DK said, categoricaly, that he didn't believe he was the best player in the club, therefore would never get the highest wage until he proved he was the best in the club. Is this the "Truth" you keep talking about? Because I think you are about 6 months out on when you think the negotiations started. But maybe you know something else.

Last edited:

itszamora

Go Jazz Go
Sep 21, 2003
London
Mmm, well that is interesting, my wife and I were talking with DK after a game in April, right at the end of the 07-08 season, and he told us then he was in contract negotiations with Hammond, and that Hammond was asking for way more than he was on, and had told DK he wanted to be the highest earner in the club. DK said, categoricaly, that he didn't believe he was the best player in the club, therefore would never get the highest wage until he proved he was the best in the club. Is this the "Truth" you keep talking about? Because I think you are about 6 months out on when you think the negotiations started. But maybe you know something else.

So it's Dick Knight's judgements on players that hold sway, rather than the manager's? Great.

itszamora

Go Jazz Go
Sep 21, 2003
London
Well its certainly not the players judgement is it.

Why has this been brought up again nearly a year on anyway?

I have no idea, you'd have to ask Superphil that. Probably to do with a lot of the people on this board getting off on ganging up on one member (who does post a fair bit of shite), we've seen it with kev the ape, 1066 and now bhadeb it seems.

From the fallout over his departure, it would seem Wilkins probably did think that Hammond was one of the better, if not the best, player at the club. Why Dick Knight who is NOT a football professional feels it is right for him to charge in and say Hammond isn't one of the best when the manager may have a different view is quite beyond me and probably has a lot to do with DK's ego.

Interestingly, one of Micky Adams' main retorts to critics this season (and I know, he has said it to me) is that he's a professional in football and the fans who question his decisions aren't. Funny how it seemingly works both ways for DK.

D

Deleted member 2719

Sorry but i don't believe that Super Dick would be telling you detail about a players personal requirements so are you telling the TRUTH or is Dick using you to spin some negativity on Hammond and therefore Wilkins?

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
Don't me so mean about Mrs Superphil Danny, she is a very nice lady indeed.

:lolol::lolol: she is indeed

Sorry but i don't believe that Super Dick would be telling you detail about a players personal requirements so are you telling the TRUTH or is Dick using you to spin some negativity on Hammond and therefore Wilkins?

I agree, but I assure you he did discuss it with us. We talk with DK after most games, in the hospitality hut which Superwife and I use at each home game. He talks quite freely about a lot of things to do with players, Falmer and other Albion stuff. My belief is, if he didn't want what he says repeated, then he wouldn't say it in the first place. I rarely repeat what he says, because I don't care to. I have stood next to him whilst he had a discussion with a player we had on loan last season, where he was clearly telling the player he wanted him to stay, and if he could, he would like to make the move permanent. He talked at length about the Hammond thing with Superwife, and not only us, but with others too. You might be right, perhaps he does it to spin, in fact I am sure he does to a degree. He is from a PR background after all.

Oddly enough, when we meet up after matches with the senior people at the club, Bloom, Chapman, DK MP etc, they are normally quite up front if you ask them a question, and are quick to defend things if they think you are having a dig. But I get the feeling that we, on here, make an awfull lot more of events than they seem to. They probably have a read of NSC and chuckle to themselves about the way fans see events. They do not come across as ogres, neither are they smarmy or Mafia-esque. They all come across as regular blokes, who all love the Albion, and do as much as they can to keep the club going.

Maybe some will think I am totally in DKs camp, not really, I love the Albion, I am fortunate to be able to speak with the people who run the club, I think DK has made several mistakes, and I have told him so on occasion, but I don't think he has ever done anything to deliberatly damage the club. The Wilkins thing must be a millstone round his neck, but it is history, there was obviously something there that caused friction, but it is over, he needs to get on with it, building Falmer running the club, etc.

Last edited:

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
The only reason I can see for bringing forward this thread is to bully someone, behaviour that is now unacceptable in the playground or in the workplace.

As everyone on here could be assumed to have experience of at least one of these environments it might be appropriate to consider why it becomes acceptable here?

And no I don't agree with pretty much anything BHADeb says or the way she hides behind a shield of unrevealable sources but surely saying so should be enough?

Sorry (climbs off high horse and gets coat)

Last edited:

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
My thoughts are as follows.

1) Wilkins is gone, Adams is here and we are not having a good season therefore we need to rally behind the PRESENT and not ruminate about the PAST.

2) I am very much in the pro-DK camp and I believe that he would not have got rid of DW without reason.

3) With regard to Wilkins' departure, it may have been unfair (who knows) but one man is not bigger than the club and we have to move on.

With regard to my 3rd point I can see people seeing that as quite hypocritical considering Knight's position but given his role in saving our club I would back him against pretty much anyone else.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
The only reason I can see for bringing forward this thread is to bully someone, behaviour that is now unacceptable in the playground or in the workplace.

As everyone on here could be assumed to have experience of at least one of these environments it might be appropriate to consider why it becomes acceptable here?

And no I don't agree with pretty much anything BHADeb says or the way she hides behind a shield of unrevealable sources but surely saying so should be enough?

Sorry (climbs off high horse and gets coat)

Could you expand on why you consider it to be bullying?

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
Sorry Severnside, i didn't intend it to seem that way, but I can see your point and apologise, I would hate to be thought of as a bully, and I can see how it could be taken that way. This was the first time I had read this thread, with the points made by bhadeb which are referred to so often, hence my initial response.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
3) With regard to Wilkins' departure, it may have been unfair (who knows) but one man is not bigger than the club and we have to move on.

With regard to my 3rd point I can see people seeing that as quite hypocritical considering Knight's position but given his role in saving our club I would back him against pretty much anyone else.

I don't think you are a hypocrite, as it was the board of directors, rather than DK, who made the decision to sack DW.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Could you expand on why you consider it to be bullying?

Having laboured through the "Brighton Lose Falmer" thread where this particular lady gets something of a hammering this thread was highlighted. It immediately gets brought from the archive to the top of the board?

I'm grateful to Superphil for understanding my perspective

rant over :albion2:

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
bhadeb getting bullied?

Don't make me laugh.

She makes unsubstantiated comments and flatly REFUSES to give the 'full story'. This (quite rightly) gets questioned and she starts whinging that everyone is ganging up on her.

Pathetic.

Yeah she gets some stick, bullying maybe.

I am sure you make unqualified opinions as do most on here and if you have anything to offer of any interest its likely to be unsubstantiated.

It seems that the real frustration that most on here have with her, is that she actually is a million miles closer to people that might actually know what happens than you will ever be.

Get over it, how can she ever say 'well actually I am a mate of x, y or z', she can't offer that validation.

It makes you feel comfortable to discredit her without that assurance.

Fine, it makes you feel superior and dont you and others love it.

Many seem to be a disciple of LB, fine, but I wouldn't trust his judgement or accept his views as I know that some are inaccurate.

Maybe he offers just a mistaken opinion or is a full blown spin merchant for the club, probably the latter.

His only validation is that he get's a brief chat with a dismissive player or egotistical director whilst he buys yet another overpriced drink at yet another club event masquerading as a fan friendly gig.

Firstly DK shares the impending sacking of Wilkins to LB back in January 2008 and now DK offers Superphil info. on Hammonds personal contractual terms.

They are either lying or DK's actions are shameful, take your pick.

For what its worth bhadeb is pretty accurate on the unreported goin's on in the club.

Uncomfortable to many, but dont dismiss her so readily.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here