Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gerrard Out for 3 Weeks - Will England Miss Him??

Knotty

Feb 5, 2004
Canterbury
The stats don't lie.

You HAVE to play your main goalscoring threat with those players that bring the goals out of them. In this case you have to play Heskey/Owen.

The historical stats prove it, of course, but what has either of them done in the past couple of years? It would be a huge gamble in my opinion and going back to the past.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Personally I'd like to see Joe Cole take Gerrard's place with Barry wide left, Hargreaves holding.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Barry's never a natural winger though.

We should change according to form rather than trying to find the perfect 11 and play every game with that.

Del Boy

Oct 1, 2004
I feel it's good news for england, gerrard NEVER performs for England, we then leave out decent players like Joe Cole to try him on the wing - which NEVER works.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
The historical stats prove it, of course, but what has either of them done in the past couple of years? It would be a huge gamble in my opinion and going back to the past.

I tend to agree with this. Whilst I am willing to admit I have not seen Owen play for anyone regularly over the past couple of years when I have seen him he has seemed to be a million miles from the fleet footed player I remember. He has looked well short of pace both over distance and off-the-blocks and didnt seem overly bothered. Maybe I have just caught him at bad times with injuries but he didnt strike me as a player who could cause damage at international level. Given his injury record these days I suggest that this state of affairs is probably a fair reflection of how it will be with him the majority of the time.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
With Heskey, Owen averages a goal in each match, scoring every 82min 15sec; with Rooney, that rises to a goal every 201 minutes.

Owen does better with Darius Vassell (90min 15sec), Peter Crouch (91min), Andrew Cole (127min 18sec), Jermain Defoe (143min 30sec) and Alan Shearer (190min 6sec) than with Rooney.

M. Samuel 11.10.07

How many games are these stats based on though? This is quite important when dealing with statistics. And the opposition and nature of the game will be influential to the figures.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
How many games are these stats based on though? This is quite important when dealing with statistics. And the opposition and nature of the game will be influential to the figures.

Dunno.
But after Rooney, the Heskey/Owen combo was almost certainly the most commonly used (which made sense as they were also together at club level).

In stark terms, speaking personally, if Owen is fit then I would drop Rooney in favour of Heskey playing up front with him.

Hannibal smith

Jul 7, 2003
Kenilworth
Thus far, I am deeply unimpressed with Fabian CRAPELLO. The problem (despite what the resident blind and jocks on this board say) isn't that the players aren't good enough but that thier definition of teamwork is to stand around doing the full teapot whilst shrugging shoulders after an Andorran postman has slammed one past Calamity James.

Big names have to be dropped, lesser lights have to be bought in and England need to look like a team rather than 11 individuals. Since 2006 we've barely had a good game but the same players seem to make the team however badly they play. Those that who are bought in don't keep their places. I'm no Jermaine Jenas fan but he played well when he was bought in but has promptly dissapeared from the radar. Meanwhile Lampard and Gerrard stroll around the middle blasting 60 yard balls into the car park and the fat bloke in the crowd to seemingly no detriment to thier careers.

Gerrard being injured (and lets not forget it was his choice to have the op now, so that he won't miss many club not country games) can only be a good thing. If it frees Lampard to play like he does for Chelsea then maybe just maybe the penny will drop with our new manager to drop the undropable. Miracles may happen.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Thus far, I am deeply unimpressed with Fabian CRAPELLO. The problem (despite what the resident blind and jocks on this board say) isn't that the players aren't good enough but that thier definition of teamwork is to stand around doing the full teapot whilst shrugging shoulders after an Andorran postman has slammed one past Calamity James.

Big names have to be dropped, lesser lights have to be bought in and England need to look like a team rather than 11 individuals. Since 2006 we've barely had a good game but the same players seem to make the team however badly they play. Those that who are bought in don't keep their places. I'm no Jermaine Jenas fan but he played well when he was bought in but has promptly dissapeared from the radar. Meanwhile Lampard and Gerrard stroll around the middle blasting 60 yard balls into the car park and the fat bloke in the crowd to seemingly no detriment to thier careers.

Gerrard being injured (and lets not forget it was his choice to have the op now, so that he won't miss many club not country games) can only be a good thing. If it frees Lampard to play like he does for Chelsea then maybe just maybe the penny will drop with our new manager to drop the undropable. Miracles may happen.

Totally agree.
On the point of the midfield line-up, the one time we've looked half decent in recent memory was when we buttfucked Russia 3-0 at Wembley. Lampard was injured, so the midfield lined up:

J Cole - Barry - Gerrard - SWP

Nice fluent display with pace and creativity (and Owen / Heskey up front). But it took an injury to a superstar to force the hand of Gingerflaps into making this necessary change. I'm already IMMENSELY disappointed at Capello sticking with the old guard, but he now has to split that Lampard / Gerrard abortion of a partnership up for something else - and it will end up paying off (unless of course the jetlagged showpony is lining up on the right yet again - that'll f*** it all up nicely).

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
In yet another example of club over country priority, Hargreaves is going to play for the Scummers tonight, but Ferguson already knows that he's not going to be fit enough to play for England next week...

BBC SPORT | Football | Internationals | Hargreaves to miss England games

"Hargreaves, who joins Steven Gerrard on the sidelines, has tendinitis in his knee and will also not play in United's Super Cup game on Friday."

Still shit timing on Gerrards part though, I agree.

Safe.

Jun 8, 2008
lampard is shit, even though jimmy bullard is old he should have a go.

Del Boy

Oct 1, 2004
lampard is shit, even though jimmy bullard is old he should have a go.

That post is such a pile of shite for several reasons, an obvious one being Lampard is hardly shit. The other being...

Lampard 30
Bullard 29

:thud:

Safe.

Jun 8, 2008
del boy is it a pile of shit, why did capello choose him you wanker

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here