Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gerrard Out for 3 Weeks - Will England Miss Him??

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
Well Rooneys hardly a goal-machine either, so we're certainly not losing out in that respect by replacing him in the team with Emile. At least with Heskey you do tend to get the best out of Owen.

But do you play Crouch and Owen together as both have a reasonably decent scoring record.

As I said earlier, if fit, Owen has to be the pick up front, it is just who do you play alongside him.

Stumpy Tim

There are some clear FACTS:

1. Without Owen, England don't have a goal-scoring striker at International level
2. Lampard should not be playing for England, and definitely not with Gerrard
3. Wes Brown is SHIT
4. England don't have a world-class keeper

Green
Richards, Terry, Ferdinand, Cole
Bentley, Hargreaves, Barry, Cole
Rooney, Owen.

It's easy really

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
But do you play Crouch and Owen together as both have a reasonably decent scoring record.

As I said earlier, if fit, Owen has to be the pick up front, it is just who do you play alongside him.

I don't think Crouch and Owen perform well together.
Owen is still our best striker, and should be first choice when fit, no question. If you asked Owen who he would like as his strike partner, I GUARANTEE he would say Heskey. And the stats back this up as the best combination.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
heh heh

''Crouch’s five appearances for England have ended with five wins. The team has scored 10 goals in the 231 minutes (less than 2Å matches of playing time) he has spent on the field. His beneficial effect on Michael Owen, who has scored five times in 180 minutes operating alongside the big chap, is striking.

At home against Poland, Crouch came on with 23 minutes remaining and the score went from 1-1 to 2-1; against Argentina in Geneva, his 10 minutes as a substitute saw England go from 2-1 down to 3-2 winners; his last appearance was 25 minutes against Uruguay, during which he scored and helped turn a 1-0 deficit into a 2-1 win.

On statistics alone, there should be little debate about whom Sven-Göran Eriksson should pick instead of Rooney — unless you want to argue that Crouch’s impact coming off the bench is so extraordinary that it would be a pity to lose him as an “impact sub”.

They might be a bit old but they tell a story.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
With Heskey, Owen averages a goal in each match, scoring every 82min 15sec; with Rooney, that rises to a goal every 201 minutes.

Owen does better with Darius Vassell (90min 15sec), Peter Crouch (91min), Andrew Cole (127min 18sec), Jermain Defoe (143min 30sec) and Alan Shearer (190min 6sec) than with Rooney.

M. Samuel 11.10.07

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I would play Abonlahor up front with Rooney and if fit Owen against Andorra.

If this group is going to be as tight as everyone says if its on goal difference, then we should put out a team that will score lots of goals against the lesser teams.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
The stats don't lie.

You HAVE to play your main goalscoring threat with those players that bring the goals out of them. In this case you have to play Heskey/Owen.

Last edited:

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Pah, I doubt it. Ingerland are a world power we'll just replace him with another invincible.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
The stats don't lie.

You HAVE to play your main goalscoring threat with those players that bring the goals out of them. In this case you have to play Heksey/Owen.

This is indeed an irrefutable statement of FACT, and I therefore wish to affiliate myself with this assertion.

Albion Rob

There have been a lot of people talking a lot of crap in this thread, but I think we have a winner here. Bentley has been consistently excellent for Blackburn for the past two years. He has played 7 games for England (most, if not all, off the bench), and you are ready to write him off? Then you lay into undoubtedly our best midfielder or attacker over the past 2 or even 4 years, saying he should be dropped?! Bloody hell!

It is definitely time for some of the youngsters to be given a go. I suspect that the reason that Richards isn't playing is because he's a centre back; that's where he's been playing for Man City. Where did he play for the U21s last week? I don't think it's in the interests of Man City or England to try to teach him (and he needs to be taught, his positioning when he plays RB is particularly suspect) to play in a different position. So we're somewhat hamstrung in terms of the RB position.

I'm not saying he hasn't been good for Blackburn (not seen Spurs yet this season) but you get quite a small window of opportunity to impress at international level (unless your name is Frank Lampard, who to be fair was quote good when he started playing for England) and hammering croses out of play just doesn't do it for me.

To say Joe Cole has been consistently our best attacking player isn't really saying much and wehn was the last time he took a game by the scruff of the nexk and really made a difference in a game? From what I've seen, when we're playing well, he joins in but when it's going badly, I don't feel he can turn a game round from the wing. I'd sooner see him deployed behind a striker or a front two.

Maybe a 5-3-2 With Ashley Cole and Micah Richards as attacking fullbacks, Barry, Gerrard and Joe Cole in the middle. I just don't think Cole (J) has the pace to get away from players that you need as a left midfielder.

barney

Jul 31, 2006
hopefully crouch and defoe get sorted this season. that would be great for england, a partnership who are actually used to playing together. crouch's record for england isn't exactly shabby either

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Defoe is not an international quality striker. He's had enough time to prove whether he is or not.

Whereas I believe Ashton, Agbonlahor and Walcott all have the potential, but I don't believe they will all realise that potential.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
With Heskey, Owen averages a goal in each match, scoring every 82min 15sec; with Rooney, that rises to a goal every 201 minutes.

Owen does better with Darius Vassell (90min 15sec), Peter Crouch (91min), Andrew Cole (127min 18sec), Jermain Defoe (143min 30sec) and Alan Shearer (190min 6sec) than with Rooney.

M. Samuel 11.10.07

Tend to agree, they're almost a couple. If you want to play Owen then the stats dictate that the best player to have alongside him is Heskey. If Owen isn't picked or is injured then Heskey shouldn't be anywhere near the team as on his own (or even with anyone other than Owen) he isn't good enough.

It really isn't rocket science, it's just a case of remembering that a TEAM can be better than the sum if its parts (witness Greece in Euro 2004). And also remembering that the best players don't necessarily make the best TEAM.

That second reason is why I hope Alan Shearer gets nowhere near the England manager's job. He's said in the past that he'd pick Rooney over Heskey whatever the circumstances as Rooney is the better footballer and therefore the team must be better with him in it and Heskey out. Good job Alf Ramsey didn't think that way in 1966.

There are some clear FACTS:

1. Without Owen, England don't have a goal-scoring striker at International level
2. Lampard should not be playing for England, and definitely not with Gerrard
3. Wes Brown is SHIT
4. England don't have a world-class keeper

Green
Richards, Terry, Ferdinand, Cole
Bentley, Hargreaves, Barry, Cole
Rooney, Owen.

It's easy really

Two defensive centre midfielders Timothy? Not gonna work.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here