Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gerrard Out for 3 Weeks - Will England Miss Him??

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Thank you easy.

You can rely on Beckham to play a couple of lovely passes crossfield to Gerrard every 30 minutes (which do absolutely nothing) but like I said, end product is lacking.

We rely on him for good crosses (we KNOW Bentley is a quality crosser of the ball AND takes players on) so if Beckham doesn't cross well there is no reason whatsoever for him to be on a football pitch.

Again I will always respect his pride and desire but it's time to do the honorable thing and let the youngsters through, who desperately need to be settled in before the next tournament.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I'd have him in the squad sure. Good option with 20 mins left if we're struggling against a rubbish team.

Spanish how does it answer itself? If you cant name me a SINGLE great performance the last THREE times it's really mattered then there's a big problem there!

Don't hate Beckham at all. I've been the one defending him previously but as time's gone on he's just indefensible now. He has NOTHING to his game but crossing. Bentley can do that. And more.

Re: Beckham actually delivering on free kick potential in last seven years; OK well I'll give you a clue. It's not very many.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
That could work for Frank, rather than the usual shoe-horning in of the big names. But if he doesn't perform DROP HIM, make him play for his place, as should Gerrard, Beckham, Ashley Cole.

These are quality players who don't even need to look at the team sheet, if they're fit they're playing, so why bother trying hard?

Where's the tough taskmaster Capello we'd heard about? Sure hope he gets angry soon.

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
Not sure how this turned into a Beckham debate, but you've GOT to have him in the squad if you don't start him - he must have averaged an assist per game in the qualifiers. No surprise to see him set one up the other night - hardly "no end product". Problem is, if Bentley is to be given a go, he should have been tested a bit more in all the friendlies we've just had. But if he's genuinely the better player, then throw him in, and stick Beckham on for the last half hour if we're struggling (granted, we still lost, but look at the way he changed the game vs Croatia).

As for Gerrard - too many half-arsed performances over the years, he's a club - not country player. Get rid.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I'd rather Gerrard than Beckham in the team anyday.

Beckham to Brown - goal was really infuriating as it likely means they'll both keep their places regardless of overall performance. Sure that cross was good but if you take every single set piece for England (who are very good in the air - Rio, Terry, etc) then you're bound to get plenty of assists. If Hargreaves or Gerrard or Bentley was designated free kick taker they would have exactly as many assists.

When Beckham plays it dictates how the rest of the team plays - flat, lifeless relying on punts up to the 'big man' (Defoe.....genius). We need Ashley Youngs, Bentleys, Joe Coles to go AT the opposition full backs.

Beckham definitely in the squad, agreed.

But surely you guys agree that we need to be bringing the youngsters through more as surely we can't be relying on Beckham in 2010?

Bentley doesn't need 'testing' he's proven week in week out at Premiership level (far higher standard than MLS) that he's a quality player.

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
Bentley doesn't need 'testing' he's proven week in week out at Premiership level (far higher standard than MLS) that he's a quality player.

Has he proven himself though? I've seen him have good games against Derby, West Ham, Sunderland...but against the better teams he goes missing.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Hmm fair point.

But like I said, I don't see why we're wasting time playing Beckham, Lampard, Heskey etc when it's vital that we develop the youngsters NOW. Otherwise what happens when we come to 2010, got a few players over the hill and the likes of Ashley Young, Walcott, Richards, Agbonlahor, Ashton haven't had a decent chance in the main team?

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Read my comment regarding assists above. If you take EVERY single free kick and corner (must be in the thousands now) you're bound to get tonnes of assists with a team as aerially strong as England.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Please pick Ashley Young Capello you clown....

He wont though he will move Barry to the left and bring in Hargeaves to partner Lampard.

Leaving both our best wide players Cole and Young benched at best !

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Unfortunately you're probably right Marshy.

Square pegs in round holes. Best 11 players rather than best team. Same story for last 8 years.

Please can Capello show up? Been a very friendly shadow of himself so far.

As for Gerrard - too many half-arsed performances over the years, he's a club - not country player. Get rid.

I was wondering how long it would take you to join this thread with your usual anti-Gerrard nonsense. You are like bhadeb: she sees a thread with Wilkins or Knight in the title and she has to have a dig. You see Gerrard in the title and you do the same thing.

You insisting that Beckham must be included in the squad, despite the fact that he's like an ageing boxer who doesn't know when it's time to quit but Gerrard should be 'got rid' is laughable. This is the Gerrard that practically every football manager would have as an automatic choice in their side-club or country (if that were possible). Still, guess they know f*** all compared to such a font of football knowledge as yourself.

No wonder Liverpool fans say that they don't give a stuff what he does for England so long as he does well for LFC. I tend to agree with them with 'experts' like you continually slagging him off.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
But thats llike saying Mushy is shit at cricket cause he only took 598 wickets from 4,400 overs?

Not really, because as I say, England are strong aerially. We generally score a lot more from set pieces than other countries. What I'm saying is Bentley and a few others are as good at crossing as Beckham, and thus if they had taken the same MASSIVE amount of set pieces he has they would get the same amount of assists.

Mushy's a legend.

Knotty

Feb 5, 2004
Canterbury
Hmm fair point.

But like I said, I don't see why we're wasting time playing Beckham, Lampard, Heskey etc when it's vital that we develop the youngsters NOW. Otherwise what happens when we come to 2010, got a few players over the hill and the likes of Ashley Young, Walcott, Richards, Agbonlahor, Ashton haven't had a decent chance in the main team?

The problem is we have to play the team now that will win NOW, and that's not necessarily the team that will be the best in TWO YEARS time.

Without entering the debate on individual players, there are some who should be in the team now who probably will be past their peak in two years. The opposite also applies to some younger players now.

I could pick an XI now that I thought would be at their peak in 2010, but would not pick that team for the qualifying games now.

That's what Capello has to get right. I agree with others that Gerrard's op could be blessing in disguise, as Capello has to do something different.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I've been hugely disappointed with Capello so far. We've not progressed one iota under him, he's still picking the same XI that Gingerflaps would have put out there.

The inclusion of that over-the-hill, jetlagged showpony just about takes the biscuit. I'm beginning to think it must be some kind of Nike / Umbro / Gillette conspiracy. There MUST be some back-handers going around for Capello to trot out a midfield of Gerrard-Lampard-Barry-Beckham. It makes NO SENSE whatsoever.

Mendoza

NSC's Most Stalked
Not really, because as I say, England are strong aerially. We generally score a lot more from set pieces than other countries. What I'm saying is Bentley and a few others are as good at crossing as Beckham, and thus if they had taken the same MASSIVE amount of set pieces he has they would get the same amount of assists.

Mushy's a legend.

I think Beckham has lost his legs, but I honestly dont think anyone can cross a ball better than him that is involved in the England set up.

Bentley certainly not, but he has got to prove he is worth a go with such a stupid price tag. Maybe if Bentley takes as many crosses, freekicks, corners as Beckham did, then it is sods law he will improve. The only thing I think Bentley is better at than Beckham is pace and unnecessary stepovers.

Ashley Young woul be my pick for right wing if I had a choice

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Well I understand what you're saying Knotty, what worries me is seeing Micah Richards sitting in the under 21s behind Wes Brown AND Glen Johnson, explain that to me please.

My point is Capello should be gradually bringing these youngsters through so they are good enough to win NOW or in the near future. Players like Ashley Young, Walcott, Bentley, have the potential to be in a team that wins us games NOW or in the very near future.

I just can't understand the logic of playing Heskey in a friendly, we know exactly what Heskey can do (which is look utterly lost without Owen, absolutely quality with Owen) so why not given Agbon or someone else a chance to prove themself?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here