Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gerrard Out for 3 Weeks - Will England Miss Him??

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I think Beckham has lost his legs, but I honestly dont think anyone can cross a ball better than him that is involved in the England set up.

Bentley certainly not, but he has got to prove he is worth a go with such a stupid price tag. Maybe if Bentley takes as many crosses, freekicks, corners as Beckham did, then it is sods law he will improve. The only thing I think Bentley is better at than Beckham is pace and unnecessary stepovers.

Ashley Young woul be my pick for right wing if I had a choice

Bentley's not particularly quicker than Beckham was as a youngster, but he takes the full back on. Such a simple but important facet to a good winger. And watch Match of the Day last week again if you can, his crosses were absolutely beautiful, every last one of them.

Albion Rob

Where has this Bentley noise come from? He has been very poor whenever he has featured for England and the highlight of his international career so far has been to beat the French left back in Paris then hammer the ball out of play when attempting to cross it.

If we're going to have a pop at Beckham then we really need to start questioning what Joe cole is doing in the side as well becuase he just doesn't seem to do anything and lacks the pace to go past players.

Knotty

Feb 5, 2004
Canterbury
Well I understand what you're saying Knotty, what worries me is seeing Micah Richards sitting in the under 21s behind Wes Brown AND Glen Johnson, explain that to me please.

My point is Capello should be gradually bringing these youngsters through so they are good enough to win NOW or in the near future. Players like Ashley Young, Walcott, Bentley, have the potential to be in a team that wins us games NOW or in the very near future.

I just can't understand the logic of playing Heskey in a friendly, we know exactly what Heskey can do (which is look utterly lost without Owen, absolutely quality with Owen) so why not given Agbon or someone else a chance to prove themself?

I agree that some of the younger players should have been given a chance in the friendlies, and playing the 'old' team last week didn't make sense as we all know what they can do. It was such a wasted opportunity. Now, if younger players are to be blooded in the first XI then they are in the qualifiers and if that all goes wrong it won't matter how good they might be in 2010, we won't be there.

I also agree about some of the players. Wes Brown it not as bad as some like to make out, but Micah Richards is clearly our best RB at the moment and, although he has been out with injury, should have played last week.

I am not sure that Bentley is the right-sided player that we need but he certainly should have started the last couple of friendlies and, if playing well, stayed on to give him the experience he needs before the important games.

I also believe that Young and Agbonlahor are the future, but is that the future next week or the future next year and in 2010? More time in the first XI in friendlies might have shown us.

Where has this Bentley noise come from? He has been very poor whenever he has featured for England and the highlight of his international career so far has been to beat the French left back in Paris then hammer the ball out of play when attempting to cross it.

If we're going to have a pop at Beckham then we really need to start questioning what Joe cole is doing in the side as well becuase he just doesn't seem to do anything and lacks the pace to go past players.

There have been a lot of people talking a lot of crap in this thread, but I think we have a winner here. Bentley has been consistently excellent for Blackburn for the past two years. He has played 7 games for England (most, if not all, off the bench), and you are ready to write him off? Then you lay into undoubtedly our best midfielder or attacker over the past 2 or even 4 years, saying he should be dropped?! Bloody hell!

It is definitely time for some of the youngsters to be given a go. I suspect that the reason that Richards isn't playing is because he's a centre back; that's where he's been playing for Man City. Where did he play for the U21s last week? I don't think it's in the interests of Man City or England to try to teach him (and he needs to be taught, his positioning when he plays RB is particularly suspect) to play in a different position. So we're somewhat hamstrung in terms of the RB position.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
There have been a lot of people talking a lot of crap in this thread, but I think we have a winner here. Bentley has been consistently excellent for Blackburn for the past two years. He has played 7 games for England (most, if not all, off the bench), and you are ready to write him off? Then you lay into undoubtedly our best midfielder or attacker over the past 2 or even 4 years, saying he should be dropped?! Bloody hell!

It is definitely time for some of the youngsters to be given a go. I suspect that the reason that Richards isn't playing is because he's a centre back; that's where he's been playing for Man City. Where did he play for the U21s last week? I don't think it's in the interests of Man City or England to try to teach him (and he needs to be taught, his positioning when he plays RB is particularly suspect) to play in a different position. So we're somewhat hamstrung in terms of the RB position.

Richards has however played at right back for sometime so does know the position.

Plain and Simple Micah Richards should be playing right back for England.
Ashley Young needs a run on the left and Joe Cole on the right.
Then play either Barry or Hargreaves holding behind Lampard or Gerrard
Just these simple things will improve us greatly.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Dont care. I gave up on the England team years ago. They come across as a bunch of overpaid prima-donnas who have a belief that if they turn up for a game they will win. Joe Cole´s recent casual and dismissive "we´ll be alright" comment and Ferdinand´s "England deserve to be in major tournaments" epitomise the attitude. Rio, you deserve nothing....you earn it!

Richards has however played at right back for sometime so does know the position.

Plain and Simple Micah Richards should be playing right back for England.
Ashley Young needs a run on the left and Joe Cole on the right.
Then play either Barry or Hargreaves holding behind Lampard or Gerrard
Just these simple things will improve us greatly.

I agree that Richards is the best of a bad lot; however I suspect that my earlier post may reflect why Capello doesn't want to play him there.

I wouldn't play Lampard or Gerrard; both have been shit for England for far, far too long. I can't remember the last time either of them had a good game for England... Gerrard in the 5-1 game but surely (please) there must have been a game since then? I would play Barry and Hargreaves; give the others time off the bench, and let them play themselves back into contention. Agree entirely with Young and Cole on the flanks. Would have Ashton and either Rooney (if he will actually play as a striker, rather than a centre midfielder) or Agbonlahor up front.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
I think a midfield of Cole Barry Hargreaves/Carrick Young with Ashton and Rooney up front would be interesting. Agbonlahor on the bench to come on and ROAST teams in the last twenty. Just anything to make it a bit less stagnant. PLEASE.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Finally sense is starting to prevail in this thread.

And Bentley RAN the game against Switzerland, he was absolute quality.

Mendoza

NSC's Most Stalked
I think back line of M Richards, Woodgate, Ferdinand, A Cole

And a midfield of Young, Barry, Hargreaves, J Cole

will be dynamic enough, yet solid enough to play against anyone.

Still not sure about Keeper or Strikers. Rooney needs to be dropped, and I like the way Walcott and Agbonlahor are playing, but both together may not work. One of them with Owen would be brilliant

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I wonder whether we should get away from 4-4-2 though.....

Just to throw another spanner in. And yes we do miss an on-form Owen. Big time. That's one of the big names I'd be more than happy to see again.

I wonder whether we should get away from 4-4-2 though.....

Just to throw another spanner in. And yes we do miss an on-form Owen. Big time. That's one of the big names I'd be more than happy to see again.

You can move away from it; but then you are looking at probably playing 1 striker, with two runners supporting. I'm not sure where Rooney would fit into that system. He's been shoe-horned into it at Man Utd as the central striker, but I don't think he's done a particularly good job of it.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I would argue that at Man Utd Rooney, Tevez and Ronaldo all played in practically free roles overlapping each other, and clearly from playing week in week out this worked brilliantly.

Also I think a lot of people would argue Rooney played really well last year, but did not play to his strengths and there have been many articles which have rightfully suggested that his own personal game has suffered due to playing selflessly for Man Utd.

Rooney doesn't get the time at England to forge this understanding with two other players. I just don't like 442 because it often makes us play so rigidly.

I have no real issue with that. In the games at Wembley last year they worked fairly well together.

The problem with Heskey is that he does not score enough goals, but unlike Crouch he does have a bit of pace.

He doesn't score goals, but if you have a firing Owen alongside he will get enough for both of them. The problem comes when trying to play Heskey alongside someone like Rooney. We either need Owen fit and firing again, or to find a new goalscorer. I'm hoping Ashton will come good, he looks like he has goals in him. Also, Ashton is physical enough to allow you to play Rooney off of him.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
He doesn't score goals, but if you have a firing Owen alongside he will get enough for both of them. The problem comes when trying to play Heskey alongside someone like Rooney. We either need Owen fit and firing again, or to find a new goalscorer. I'm hoping Ashton will come good, he looks like he has goals in him. Also, Ashton is physical enough to allow you to play Rooney off of him.

Heksey has scored something silly like 4 goals for England, which even for a support striker is poor.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
See all that makes me think of is David Bardsley, former QPR defender.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I have no real issue with that. In the games at Wembley last year they worked fairly well together.

The problem with Heskey is that he does not score enough goals, but unlike Crouch he does have a bit of pace.

Well Rooneys hardly a goal-machine either, so we're certainly not losing out in that respect by replacing him in the team with Emile. At least with Heskey you do tend to get the best out of Owen.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here