Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Gerrard Confirmed as Villa Boss

redoubtable seagull

Oct 27, 2004
Yes, unequivocally.

Bad news for us too - Potter likes to plan for each match, I think, and would surely have had a plan to deal wiyh Dean Smith's Villa. Now, Gerrard will have had a week to work with his new team (and he's no mug!), and Potter will have no way of knowing what to expect, what to plan to counteract.
A draw would now be a good result I think, unfortunately.

I think you’re right that a draw seems very much on the cards. Gerrard will one assumes want to focus on defensive shape and organisation this week. They’ve let in 20 in 11 so far and are third worst GC on the league. He’s hampered a little as Villa have I think 6 first team players on international duty and Bailey and Martinez probably will not get back to the UK until late Wed or Thu as they both play for their countries late Tuesday night. And of course, despite being 7th, we still don’t score many.

Lever

Feb 6, 2019
I haven't read all the comments, so it may well have been said, but 'the bounce' accompanying the arrival of a new manager does seem to be a real thing. It tends not to last, but it remains a bit unfortunate that we play Villa away for Gerrard's first game.....

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Was always going to be a draw, as they are below us on the table.

I know we are in need of a win after so many drawn games, but l'd be happy enough with a point next Saturday, Villa Park has never been one of our luckiest grounds, and at least that point will keep us ticking over.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
I think you’re right that a draw seems very much on the cards. Gerrard will one assumes want to focus on defensive shape and organisation this week.

I’m hoping you a wrong. First match for a new manager at home, with the attacking talent they have, he might well decide to start on the front foot and get the crowd behind them. We know this will be to our advantage. If he is concentrating on getting the likes of Watkins, Ings, Buendia & Bailey in the team, we can focus on all the gaps that will be left at the back. It would be amazing not to face another flat-back-five.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
I fancy that by our home game in February they will be a different kettle of fish - This away match may be an easier task (if there is such a thing).

jcdenton08

Offended Liver Sausage
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
A quick glance at their forum is very telling. Over 96% of voters rate his managerial performance in their game today as “poor” or “very poor”.

Bit eggy for Gerrard. Will he beat Scott Parker in the sack race?

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
[tweet]1563898857733365766[/tweet]

:lolol:

I don't think there is such a thing as a "best side" anymore. Graham Potter in particular simply puts out the best eleven he can to combat the opposition that we are facing in each match.

It is a squad game now after all, and the team rotates quite a lot.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Gerrard and Lampard and Rooney will all run out of starstruck mug chairmen sooner rather than later IMHO :wave:

Oh Wayne Rooney won me over in the end, did a fine job trying to keep the Rams in the Championship. Surprised, and disappointed to see him jump ship from the English game and decamp to the States. He would have been in demand over here.

beardy gull

Jul 18, 2003
Portslade
Oh Wayne Rooney won me over in the end, did a fine job trying to keep the Rams in the Championship. Surprised, and disappointed to see him jump ship from the English game and decamp to the States. He would have been in demand over here.

Early days of course but not pulling up any trees at D.C. United.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here