Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Gerrard Confirmed as Villa Boss

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
I think this is a great move for Steven Gerrard. He seems a smart guy, judging by the choices he has made so far in his managerial career.

He coached Liverpool's youth team, then Under-18s, took over Rangers at the right time when they were on an upward curve, knocked back Newcastle in 2019 because he realised he didn't have the experience for that job, he then built a side to challenge Celtic, then he blew them away last season. Having gone undefeated in 2020/21 Rangers didn't strengthen in the summer and consequently Celtic have made up ground, so I can see why he wants to move now.

Villa have been punching below their weight for quite a while, and Grealish papered over the cracks. Regular Top 10 finishes should be attainable for that club, so the opportunity is there for Gerrard. I think he is a better manager than Dean Smith, I think he can steady the ship and then kick on next season.
Sadly, I think you're right

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Doubt it Potter gets away with things here no wins for 6 games at a club with much higher expectations wouldn’t go down well.

Really ? When has he actually lost 6 games in a row , or 5 games n a row or 4 games in a row that makes you certain this is the case ?

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Will be interesting to see if he is dumb enough to take that job. I think he'd get the chance somewhere iin due time f he just takes a chill pill. Norwich job should be for someone who is either a bit desperate or some foreigner wanting to get into English football.

I agree - I don't think that is the right job for Lampard at the moment - But none of those Managers are going to get offered a job where they wouldn't be fending off relegation. So they are going to have to go and try and prove themselves somewhere

These Managers are the ''New Tim Sherwood'' who used to get quoted for jobs every time that one came up and then when Sherwood came to having to keep a team in the PL he was sacked fairly rapidly. It isn't easy to keep a team in the PL unless you get the right backing behind the scenes

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I think this is a great move for Steven Gerrard. He seems a smart guy, judging by the choices he has made so far in his managerial career.

He coached Liverpool's youth team, then Under-18s, took over Rangers at the right time when they were on an upward curve, knocked back Newcastle in 2019 because he realised he didn't have the experience for that job, he then built a side to challenge Celtic, then he blew them away last season. Having gone undefeated in 2020/21 Rangers didn't strengthen in the summer and consequently Celtic have made up ground, so I can see why he wants to move now.

Villa have been punching below their weight for quite a while, and Grealish papered over the cracks. Regular Top 10 finishes should be attainable for that club, so the opportunity is there for Gerrard. I think he is a better manager than Dean Smith, I think he can steady the ship and then kick on next season.

Excellent post. I think Villa’s owners will spend significantly too, as SG moves on substandard players and he’ll carry more kudos in attracting better players than Smith.

faoileán

Jan 29, 2021
Rangers fans must be gutted.
21 October..

Reporter: "Steven, what would you say to those linking you with a move away?"
Gerrard: "Do I look happy? Do I look settled? Don't ask me silly questions then."

Judas after that comment.

I really hope Rangers get a good replacement (Smith??) and Villa struggle after their shoddy treatment of Dean Smith

Yeah Rangers fans are such a lovely wholesome bunch... my heart bleeds for them (not)

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
Shirley top ten, I recently worked out from reliable data that their squad cost £444m, that’s about double ours.

Although the loss of Grealish is huge. His game-changing, plus the diving around, won them an awful load of points last season.

I wonder if he has assurances about spending, the way they targeted him immediately making him the man (unlike the summer charade at Spuds or the last chaotic month at NUFC), I would suggest means that have. They need a CB for starters, error strewn and comatose Mings is inept.

Maybe Mings will do the reverse of what Scholes and others have done? When replaced at Villa by a competent centre back he may retire from club football to focus 100% on his international career as Southgate's mascot.

faoileán

Jan 29, 2021
Well as long as those "lovely" Celtic fans don't have anything to celebrate.:p

I wouldn't describe Celtic fans as lovely but I was unlucky enough to be in Manchester on business when Rangers were in town for the 2008 UEFA Cup final and I can honestly say I have never seen a more horrible mob in my life; aggrogant, aggressive, drunken, publicly urinating, and the men were just as bad.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I wouldn't describe Celtic fans as lovely but I was unlucky enough to be in Manchester on business when Rangers were in town for the 2008 UEFA Cup final and I can honestly say I have never seen a more horrible mob in my life; aggrogant, aggressive, drunken, publicly urinating, and the men were just as bad.

It cuts both ways, a different faith of Christian schooling and colour green instead of blue doesn't produce well behaved working class football supporters in Belfast, Glasgow and wider Lanarkshire. Celtic supporters have caused trouble home and abroad, a year ago they attacked the police and Celtic officials.

Both clubs have huge support, each home game sees legions converging from across all the British Isles, preseason 'friendlies' elsewhere all the way back to the 1970's eg in England see 10,000's turning up to take over cities for the weekend. Because of that, they tend to get swerved.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
A decent appointment for Villa. The major downside is that if a particular job becomes available earlier than expected, he'll leave irrespective

Villa are one of those sides who I see as a direct competitor. I think we're likely to be finishing close in the league with them in the coming years, probably in the 8th to 13th type positions. Probably we'll be hard to separate in the matches we play against each other

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta

Old joke :)

I have been in 3 pubs where Celtic fans were watching their team.

Awful behaviour.

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
Old joke :)

I have been in 3 pubs where Celtic fans were watching their team.

Awful behaviour.

I used to work with a Celtic fan, one of the biggest twats I've ever met. Openly racist about anyone who wasn't a sweaty, walked about singing either Celtic or IRA songs who he supported because it gave him a platform to hate the english. absolutely nothing to like about the bell end.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
Can you imagine the '' Implosion of the Media '' if their '' Three Musketeers '' Eddie Howe, Frank Lampard and Steven Gerrard all get relegated in one fell swoop next May

Which one survives at the expense of Paddy V then?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here