Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Germaine Greer marked woman.

I wasn't over keen on Irwin's TV persona, he was very much the OTT aussie "bloke". But that style is what sold him to the TV companies. That style made him the money to get involved with buying huge areas of land around the wold to protect the wildlife within and to stop them being developed.

By all accounts he was nothing like that off camera. He was, from what I've read and heard, a quiet self depreciating man, whose devotion to wildlife and conservation was matched only by his devotion to his family.

I can't help but think that Greer is being harsh for the sake of it. It looks to me like jealousy, she doesn't mention any of the good work he did.

However, she's entitled to her view and the papers are entitled to print it. Whether or not the timing is great is not the point.

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
Now this is funny!

suncreamcx1.png

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Tyrone Biggums said:
Do you even comprehend the amount of work he did?

From your comments it seems not.

The reason he chased snakes was not to annoy them but to diffuse the myth that snakes are nasty and attack people.

Maybe only an Aussies can comprehend the message he was conveying through his actions.
Oh what a crock of shit. So mistreating animals and disturbing their environment on the grounds it's what NOT to do is ok? If you REALLY want to learn about nature watch Attenborough, not some sensationalist attention-seeker.

Hornblower

Jul 7, 2003
Sorry, I can't be arsed to read the rest of the thread, are we saying that Germaine Greer would make a good replacement for McGee or not?

Brovian said:
Oh what a crock of shit. So mistreating animals and disturbing their environment on the grounds it's what NOT to do is ok?

When did he "mistreat" any animals? He interacted with them certainly, but if he had mistreated killer animals he would never have made it to 44 years old, and would not be the legend he is today.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Minteh Wonderland
smudge said:
My girlfriend is Aussie & when she was over in the UK she came across one of those "Australia's Deadliest" shows on the tv. I couldn't believe her reaction. She really didn't like that Steve Irwin as he is resposible for stereotyping Aussies who wear nothing but khaki shorts & do very silly things with dangerous animals.

Tell her not to worry - most people will be sticking with the 'Aussie behind the bar' stereotype. :thumbsup:

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
Brovian said:
Oh what a crock of shit. So mistreating animals and disturbing their environment on the grounds it's what NOT to do is ok? If you REALLY want to learn about nature watch Attenborough, not some sensationalist attention-seeker.

How is he mistreating them? he never hurt or injured an animal in any of his shows.

You are responsible for more mistretement of an animal every time tyou sit down for a steak or a fish dinner.

Attenborough sits there and watches the animals then leaves.

At least Steve Irwin put his money where his mouth was and bought land and set up programs world wide so that he ensured safe habitat and conditions for animals.

And how else do you raise the awareness of a plight other than to go out and seek attention to the cause.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Tyrone Biggums said:
How is he mistreating them? he never hurt or injured an animal in any of his shows.

You are responsible for more mistretement of an animal every time tyou sit down for a steak or a fish dinner.

At least Steve Irwin put his money where his mouth was and bought land and set up programs world wide so that he ensured safe habitat and conditions for animals.

And how else do you raise the awareness of a plight other than to go out and seek attention to the cause.
We're never going to agree, I just hated his style and the way he tried to make the animals 'perform' as if they were little better than circus acts or tourist attractions. That is mistreating them in my opinion. I'm aware of the work he did out of the public eye and hopefully that will be his legacy as opposed to being remembered as a kind of Johnny Morris on acid.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Minteh Wonderland
smudge said:
My girlfriend is Aussie & when she was over in the UK she came across one of those "Australia's Deadliest" shows on the tv. I couldn't believe her reaction. She really didn't like that Steve Irwin as he is resposible for stereotyping Aussies who wear nothing but khaki shorts & do very silly things with dangerous animals.

I take it she's not joining in then? :lolol:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asia-pacific/5326286.stm

Dandyman

In London village.
Brovian said:
a kind of Johnny Morris on acid.

:D Quote of the day (well, apart from the LI one).

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
The sour-faced old hag can say what she likes really. She just should have let the dust settle before she waded in thats all.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
I had never heard of Steve Irwin - and have been amazed at the re-action to his death. His father (sensibly) even turned down the offer of a State funeral. He was a TV presenter. He may have loved his family and been a great bloke ......... but death happens to us all.

A little perspective is needed. And if Germaine Greer (who was a total babe in her day - and has a mighty intellect to boot) chooses to make unflattering remarks after his death - well take it as an antidote the posthumous beatification that was gathering pace.

Tyrone Biggums said:

Attenborough also intruduced the majority of people over thirty to wildlife and paved the way for people like Steve Irwin.

When an animal is hissing at you and trying to run away from you like a lot did when Irwin grabbed hold of them this means they are distressed. It is their way of showing you that they are pissed off. So putting an animal under stress in a lot of peoples eyes is mistreating them.

Tyrone Biggums said:

Attenborough also intruduced the majority of people over thirty to wildlife and paved the way for people like Steve Irwin.

When an animal is hissing at you and trying to run away from you like a lot did when Irwin grabbed hold of them this means they are distressed. It is their way of showing you that they are pissed off. So putting an animal under stress in a lot of peoples eyes is mistreating them.

Reading Posh

Sophisticated rhetorician
Jul 8, 2003
Off M4 J11
Dick Knights Mum said:

A little perspective is needed. And if Germaine Greer... chooses to make unflattering remarks after his death - well take it as an antidote the posthumous beatification that was gathering pace.
Well put.

But just in case people want to mourn with the Aussie nation:

Australians have been urged to wear khaki on Friday, in memory of "Crocodile Hunter" Steve Irwin.

Leading political figures have joined the tribute for the naturalist and television personality who died this week after being struck by a stingray.

Throughout his energetic career, Steve Irwin was rarely seen in anything but his khaki-coloured shirts and shorts.

His legions of fans have been urged to wear the clothing out of respect for a man seen by many to have been an icon.

A national radio network has declared this "Crikey, It's Khaki Friday" - a reference to the crocodile hunter's famous catch-phrase.

A number of public figures, including the leader of the federal opposition, Kim Beazley, have joined in.

The khaki campaign began as a chain e-mail. It hopes to raise money for Steve Irwin's charity, Wildlife Warriors Worldwide.

Many Australians will remember him as a tireless conservationist.

"You know, everyone sort of loved his enthusiasm and his larger than life character, plus he did a lot of good things for the environment and the animals," one woman said.

Steve Irwin's family is planning a private funeral that may well take place next week.

A large public memorial service for the Australian television star is also being planned.

BBC

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
I think everyone should be allowed to grieve in private at this difficult time. I have been paying my own personal tribute by doing a poor-quality impersonation of the once-excitable dead man, mainly featuring the terms "croikey!" and "he's gettin' a bit CRANKY". But, as I say, it's private. Everyone has their own way of coping with the death of a cartoonish bloke they once saw on telly.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here