Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Germaine Greer marked woman.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Les Biehn said:
I was actually making the point that Bernard Manning is a racist and you seem to think his 'comedy' style is funny. Which is a bit sad in this day and age.

oh ok , well im not racist , a bit sexist perhaps , but my GF gives as good as she gets on that front.

Jim D

Jul 23, 2003
Worthing
All the same, I wonder if we'll ever find out exactly how he was killed - and I don't mean the story we've been fed. How did the stingray get to sting him - given that it isn't predatory (except to shrimp)? Was he provoking it to get it to try and sting him?

Personally, I think Greer's 'Lion tamer' comment was about right. This was a guy who went around making animals mad in order to get a response. After all, nobody would spend much time looking at a sleeping croc or the tail of a snake slithering away into the long grass.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Jim D said:
All the same, I wonder if we'll ever find out exactly how he was killed - and I don't mean the story we've been fed. How did the stingray get to sting him - given that it isn't predatory (except to shrimp)? Was he provoking it to get it to try and sting him?
The whole incident is, apparently, on film. His producer has viewed it and discribed it as "very distressing - you're seeing a man dying". Its obviously not been made public (yet) as there is an enquiry going on, but I daresay it'll make its way onto some ghoulish website before long.

Last edited:

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
Dougal said:
oh ok , well im not racist , a bit sexist perhaps , but my GF gives as good as she gets on that front.

Each to their own. I think some feminists are arseholes with extreme views, but that happens in every walk of life, groups who adhere to certain ideologies often have extremists who are the most vocal of the group thus creating a stereotype that tars everyone else connected. Lots of feminists are very intelligent, men friendly individuals who don't particularly like living in a patriarchally orientated society. They have also contributed to a lot of intellectual developments in literature, film and art.

Also not all lesbians are feminists, some are actually rather traditional in their views.

Last edited:

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
tedebear said:
Fair enough - I've always found her quite the sad old woman to be honest. I think the timing of her article was quite distasteful and aimed for maximum impact, which is usually the way from someone who thinks lifes owes them, and so can fully understand the backlash... Just my opinion though...
In what way has she acted or suggested that "life owes her"? As far as I know, she's worked hard as an academic (if that's not a contradiction in terms!) ever since was part of that incredible generation of Australians that made up the Sydney Push. Maybe she's unpopular in Australia for leaving? *adjusts "f***-me shoes"* :)

Rougvie

Rising Damp
Aug 29, 2003
Hove, f***ing ACTUALLY.
Who will history remember in Australia in 100 years.

Irwin without a doubt, not some dried up old bitter and twisted fist lover.

H block

Jul 10, 2003
Worthing
Man of Harveys said:
She's given a load to the world too. But I think I'll wait for the waves of cheap'n'nasty unsavoury misogyny - which, ironically, is proving one of her main tenets perfectly - to stop breaking over this thread first.

Surprised she did`nt say he was wearing `Kill me shoes`

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Well I agree with her. It's obviously terribly sad he's been killed as he's left a widow and children, but I HATED his style. I didn't think his 'poke it, grab it, shake it' approach to nature was educational or respectful to the animals he 'studied', but then I'm more of a David Attenborough fan. I just hope there's no Irwin wannabes who want to step into his shoes. Well said Germaine.

PS - We've had other threads which were full of his fans paying tributes and I wasn't going to post my contrary views, but this seems to be the right place.

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
Wooaahh, nothing like a good old NSC over reaction. Ok she slighlty controversial here but nothing that bad.

The bloke did kinda get what was always coming to him.

Perry's Tracksuit Bottoms

King of Sussex
Oct 3, 2003
Lost
I've been slightly baffled by the response to Irwin's death. He seems to have become the Diana of the crocodile-baiting world.

As for Greer, I thought this was an interesting insight from Jon Ronson in the Guardian last weekend...

Five years ago I was invited to be an arts pundit on the BBC's Newsnight Review.

"Can I just say," I told my fellow pundit Germaine Greer in the green room, "that I'm an enormous admirer of your work."

"Thank you," said Germaine Greer.

"She's lovely!" I thought.

Then we were bustled into the studio and, suddenly, I was on live television. "So, Jon Ronson," said the presenter. "What did you think of Joel Schumacher's new film, Tigerland?"

"Well..." I began.

But then I stopped. I could sense I was being intensely stared at by Germaine Greer. She had positioned herself - just off camera - in my peripheral vision, and her eyes were bearing down on me. There seemed something odd about her stare and I involuntarily glanced over at her to get a proper look. Her finger was pressed burlesquely against her cheek. Her mouth was silently frozen in the shape of an "Ooooh!", as in "Ooooh! How interesting! Do tell!" Hers was a face distorted into a mask of comic mock fascination.

"Germaine Greer is subtly trying to sabotage my performance!" I thought, shocked. "That's a bolt from the blue. Why would Germaine Greer want to put off a fledgling arts pundit? Hasn't she got enough? She's Germaine Greer!"

As a result I stumbled on live television, I saw Germaine Greer smile to herself with satisfaction - like a grand lioness seeing off a virile but naive young rival - and I was never invited back.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
Man of Harveys said:
In what way has she acted or suggested that "life owes her"? As far as I know, she's worked hard as an academic (if that's not a contradiction in terms!) ever since was part of that incredible generation of Australians that made up the Sydney Push. Maybe she's unpopular in Australia for leaving? *adjusts "f***-me shoes"* :)

No she's hated because she's a bitter twisted old bitch that only ever says anything about Australia when she's bagging the shit out of it.
Sydney is a cespit thus it's no wonder it produces so many left wing tossers.

She a dirty old paedo to boot.

bigc

Jul 5, 2003
I think Greer likes to do the Julie Burchill....be controversial for the sake of being controversial.

she is entitled to her opinion, but surely she could have waited about 2 months, after the dust had settled.

I mean I hate Margaret Thatcher due to her politics, but I wouldn't, if given the chance, write any damning critic of her until a good few weeks after her death.

Just isn't right, and would be hypocritical cos I'd be outraged if someone rambled on about Michael Foot's duffel coat just after he dies.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
bigc said:
I mean I hate Margaret Thatcher due to her politics, but I wouldn't, if given the chance, write any damning critic of her until a good few weeks after her death.

Each to their own, and I honestly admire the dignity - it's a scarce enough commodity.

However, I'd be lying if I said I had any inclination even as I get older to backtrack on my long-standing but admittedly undignified offer: I'll buy a glass of champagne for anyone who wants one on the day Thatcher does the decent thing and shuffles off. It's all she deserves I'm afraid.

Last edited:

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
Man of Harveys said:
I'll buy a glass of champagne for anyone who wants one on the day Thatcher does the decent thing and shuffles off. It's all she deserves I'm afraid.

Nasty piece of work, then elbows are lethal.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
Brovian said:
Well I agree with her. It's obviously terribly sad he's been killed as he's left a widow and children, but I HATED his style. I didn't think his 'poke it, grab it, shake it' approach to nature was educational or respectful to the animals he 'studied', but then I'm more of a David Attenborough fan. I just hope there's no Irwin wannabes who want to step into his shoes. Well said Germaine.

PS - We've had other threads which were full of his fans paying tributes and I wasn't going to post my contrary views, but this seems to be the right place.

Do you even comprehend the amount of work he did?

From your comments it seems not.

The reason he chased snakes was not to annoy them but to diffuse the myth that snakes are nasty and attack people.

Maybe only an Aussies can comprehend the message he was conveying through his actions.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here