Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

George O'Callaghan says things are NOT right at the Albion...

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Well thats Bas, Big George and Ricahrds all gone just like that. In my opinion we've lost our chance of promotion, i dont like to criticise Dick Knight, but he really should have done more to keep these 3 crucial players.

Agreed. Show some loyalty to the right people. If we are serious about arresting the decline in crowds then we need to build on the team that has been in decline ever since we stayed up in the Championship.

To put a positive spin on things, at least George O'Callaghan cares, so perhaps we are not out of the hunt for a potential transfer coup of him.

I am sure a lot of clubs operate the way we do, but that is no excuse.

Zesh Rehman

Sep 6, 2006
Oxford
Agreed. Show some loyalty to the right people. If we are serious about arresting the decline in crowds then we need to build on the team that has been in decline ever since we stayed up in the Championship.

To put a positive spin on things, at least George O'Callaghan cares, so perhaps we are not out of the hunt for a potential transfer coup of him.

I am sure a lot of clubs operate the way we do, but that is no excuse.

I hope your right about Big George, but if i were him then i wouldnt stay here.

You say alot of clubs operate the way we do and im kind of ashamed to agree with that. I use to always be proud to say i was a Brighton fan because we were a well run team, good young players, brilliant fan base home and especially away, a team on the way up and generally had good prospects. Obviously i only started supporting the Albion 10 years ago so didnt see all the Archer and Belloti shit. But things are starting to fall apart again, we are no longer a team that should be aiming for a regular place in the championship, we're now just your average League 1 side. Its just sad because we're almost on par with the likes of Port Vale, Gillingham, Crewe etc.

Jimmy Grimble

Nov 10, 2007
Starting a revolution from my bed
well if we are talking permanent signings its even more impressive then - EVERYONE he mas made has been a decent signing and improved the team

agree about savage being a donkey, but the fact that when he played for us he improved the team and did a job indicates that wilkins was doing something right to get that much out of him - im 90% certain wherever he goes next he wont be anywhere near as effective as he was here

The team improved yes, BUT, we did not improve to a top 7 club.

Jim D

Jul 23, 2003
Worthing
What makes you think O'C will be offered a new deal? After saying that I doubt that DK will want him back - he has some very strict views about players disrupting the others - ask Bertin if you can find him.

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
The team improved yes, BUT, we did not improve to a top 7 club.

things dont change overnight - i cant think of one club that has gone from struggling in their league to being promotion material without an injection of money. the annoying thing is we have looked like we COULD achieve a top 6 spot this season - wilklins had put together a side that was winning games, playing well and could have gone onto get promotion - unfortunately we have now lost richards, savage and possibly o'callaghan - all his hard work has been undone by the boards reluctance to sort players contracts out

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
What makes you think O'C will be offered a new deal? After saying that I doubt that DK will want him back - he has some very strict views about players disrupting the others - ask Bertin if you can find him.

so because he has had a dig at the board, they are going to sacrifice a decent play-off chance by not signing him?

its wilkins team, and as such it should be up to him who we keep and who we let go

Jimmy Grimble

Nov 10, 2007
Starting a revolution from my bed
things dont change overnight - i cant think of one club that has gone from struggling in their league to being promotion material without an injection of money. the annoying thing is we have looked like we COULD achieve a top 6 spot this season - wilklins had put together a side that was winning games, playing well and could have gone onto get promotion - unfortunately we have now lost richards, savage and possibly o'callaghan - all his hard work has been undone by the boards reluctance to sort players contracts out

slightly i agree with this. Though IMO i think a differnt manager would get better performances out of our side. Despite this i think Wilkins should stay on to the end of the season, and if we finish top 6 i'll eat my words.

BUTTERBALL

East Stand Brighton Boyz
Jul 31, 2003
location location
I was really looking forward to the rest of the season - until today. If we don't get Richards back, we lose O'Callaghan and with the already departed Savage, I think that will cripple the playing side of things.

I genuinely felt we would make the play off's this year, but the club need to get a grip on this situation NOW :nono:

forumwayseagull

Oct 22, 2005
Rochester kent
Surely the players can express that they want security etc. It is also around that time of year whe players and clubs want to mess around as one wants as much as he can get and not pay much for it ( club) the other wants as much as poss for as long as poss.

I hope it all settles down and those that matter will stay.:glare:

So what's O'C trying to achieve talking to Sky Sports like this? Sounds like he wants a contract he's not being offered to me and this is the best way to tell the world he's available.

But - O'C was the player we couldn't agree terms with in the beginning. He's been getting a regular place with BHA, but always wanted more money than Brighton want to/can pay. The REST of the players aren't going to be any more 'settled' if this bloke gets paid over the odds and they don't!
Some of the younger players DO tend to have little snitty-fits if they're not picked - but that would happen anywhere at this level - those salme players might be assured an easy-life in the 2nd Division, but probably NOT at higher levels.

O'C seems to me, to be a bit of a stirrer here, by the sounds of this 'grand admission', and dislodged the gruntles of some other lads in the process. He's not an Arsenal loanee or a Chelsea youngster, nor a mercurial talent, he's come from Cork to NOT make the grade at Ipswich - and wasn't it the MIDFIELD that was found sadly wanting today at Millwall??

Too bad, but I think a little damage control might be in order here. The club is CERTAINLY bigger than any players on our books, and like Bertin - if these boys cannot love and respect the club with things as they are, (and mostly getting a regular game ffs), then as a fan of our club, I will readily and immediately respond :bigwave: and get on with business.

Yes, there are people who do think that one or two players are totally indispensable, every time we hear about a Cullip or a Bertin leaving, but they can't see the level pitch imo. BHAFC will entrust Dean Wilkins to put out a squad worthy of winning games - and if that's without a couple of morale-sinkers or half-hearted lads who might think they're bigger than this modest concern - then don't let the door bang them on the arse.

Unless we are short-paying players on promises or screwing employees, then the lads should all be pleased to be a part of this club, and figuring in the club's plans at all. Really!

Post script clause; If I got the wrong end of the stick or have misunderstood what was said today (and is occasionally coming out of other players), then I still stick by this opinion.

The club (Dick) doesn't WANT promotion, imo.

We can't afford to compete in The Championship while at Withdean.

We tried it before, and we've had excursions bouncing up the league ever since DK's been at the helm!
Why, suddenly, would he lose ambition or adventure?
Would Wimbledon have ever made it to the top by thinking that way? Did Wigan spend billions in recent years?
Honestly, I don't know these things.

As for whether we can compete at a higher division with exactly the same squad.....has that EVER been the intent?

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
Given that players' contracts at ALL clubs are probably getting shorter these days, surely we won't be the only one with lots of contracts to negotiate at the end of the season?

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
We tried it before, and we've had excursions bouncing up the league ever since DK's been at the helm!
Why, suddenly, would he lose ambition or adventure?
Would Wimbledon have ever made it to the top by thinking that way? Did Wigan spend billions in recent years?
Honestly, I don't know these things.

As for whether we can compete at a higher division with exactly the same squad.....has that EVER been the intent?

.......er.......we,ve had three seasons in the Championship under Dick Knight.

The first time , he made sure we came staight back down, by employing the cheap and utterly in-experienced Martin Hinshelwood.

The second year in the Championship, before McGhee was totally dis-illusioned, Adam Virgo,s tenacity and vital goals just about kept us there on the last day for another year.

The third year, Dick Knight made certain that Virgo wouldn,t pull that bloody stunt again........and promptly sold him to Celtic for £1.5 million.........and giving bugger-all to Mcghee for proper team strengthening...........result....relegation again.

Object achieved.

DICK KNIGHT DOES NOT WANT CHAMPIONSHIP FOOTBALL AT WITHDEAN.....!

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
Bit of a reality check:

Savage has previous when it comes to leaving clubs over a contract
O'Callaghan and Richards aren't our players and something still might be sorted in January.

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
But - O'C was the player we couldn't agree terms with in the beginning. He's been getting a regular place with BHA, but always wanted more money than Brighton want to/can pay. The REST of the players aren't going to be any more 'settled' if this bloke gets paid over the odds and they don't!
Some of the younger players DO tend to have little snitty-fits if they're not picked - but that would happen anywhere at this level - those salme players might be assured an easy-life in the 2nd Division, but probably NOT at higher levels.

O'C seems to me, to be a bit of a stirrer here, by the sounds of this 'grand admission', and dislodged the gruntles of some other lads in the process. He's not an Arsenal loanee or a Chelsea youngster, nor a mercurial talent, he's come from Cork to NOT make the grade at Ipswich - and wasn't it the MIDFIELD that was found sadly wanting today at Millwall??

Too bad, but I think a little damage control might be in order here. The club is CERTAINLY bigger than any players on our books, and like Bertin - if these boys cannot love and respect the club with things as they are, (and mostly getting a regular game ffs), then as a fan of our club, I will readily and immediately respond :bigwave: and get on with business.

Yes, there are people who do think that one or two players are totally indispensable, every time we hear about a Cullip or a Bertin leaving, but they can't see the level pitch imo. BHAFC will entrust Dean Wilkins to put out a squad worthy of winning games - and if that's without a couple of morale-sinkers or half-hearted lads who might think they're bigger than this modest concern - then don't let the door bang them on the arse.

Unless we are short-paying players on promises or screwing employees, then the lads should all be pleased to be a part of this club, and figuring in the club's plans at all. Really!

Post script clause; If I got the wrong end of the stick or have misunderstood what was said today (and is occasionally coming out of other players), then I still stick by this opinion.

Fair summing up, IMO. We would all like promotion, & I don't think it would be sabotaged, but it would take a miracle to pay Championship wages on Withdean gates.

We have to hope that the local lads can see a future at Falmer and want to be part of that. Backed up by a few experinced players, there's no reason why we cannot produce a side to entertain and push for the top. Any real players of potential can then get the moves they deserve, helping to finance the future.

They won't get those moves if they play like they did today.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here