Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

General Photography thread

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
That's weird, not sure why it's wrong. If you load images straight from the camera into Lightroom or similar, I assume it would be correct. You didn't take the photo with your Sony phone did you?

Ah yes, quite possibly. An XPeria Z.

Bryzee

Dec 30, 2014
Seaford
Started with a fuji hs20 bridge camera about 3 years ago now have Nikon D800 , Nikon D3200 & a D3. lenses: 50mm 1.4, 85mm1.8, 14-24mm 2.8, 24-70mm 2.8, 70-200 2.8 vr2, just bought a tamron 150-600 which is excellent for sports and wildlife without paying big bucks. I have an 18-200mm which is stuck on the d3200 all the time and a 70-300 f4.5-5.6 plus a 80-400mm
all nikon. plus i have an old nikon FE film camera with a couple of old lenses (makes you think about your shots)
I have 2 sb800 speedlights manfrotto monopod and tripod.
Software: Photoshop 6 lightroom 4.5 and photomatix for hdr. Went a bit wild buying all this gear but I really enjoy it gets me out the house. I have some good football shots from the Chelsea game a few years back but I dont take it in now because i`m in the upper east stand too far away.
There is a guy on youtube who gives good lessons Called Gavin Hoey comes from Sussex check him out I have learnt a lot from him.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Unusual first post.

Northstander

Oct 13, 2003
Started with a fuji hs20 bridge camera about 3 years ago now have Nikon D800 , Nikon D3200 & a D3. lenses: 50mm 1.4, 85mm1.8, 14-24mm 2.8, 24-70mm 2.8, 70-200 2.8 vr2, just bought a tamron 150-600 which is excellent for sports and wildlife without paying big bucks. I have an 18-200mm which is stuck on the d3200 all the time and a 70-300 f4.5-5.6 plus a 80-400mm
all nikon. plus i have an old nikon FE film camera with a couple of old lenses (makes you think about your shots)
I have 2 sb800 speedlights manfrotto monopod and tripod.
Software: Photoshop 6 lightroom 4.5 and photomatix for hdr. Went a bit wild buying all this gear but I really enjoy it gets me out the house. I have some good football shots from the Chelsea game a few years back but I dont take it in now because i`m in the upper east stand too far away.
There is a guy on youtube who gives good lessons Called Gavin Hoey comes from Sussex check him out I have learnt a lot from him.

Is that you Gavin?

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 200

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Am thinking of treating myself to a SLR but having been away from it for years and never having had a digital I don't want to spend a great deal. Any ideas from you experts. I do actually want a SLR and not a compact. So cost will matter. I want to take it on the river banks and lakes when I'm fishing when the better weather comes so lenses will matter won't they.

jevs

Mar 24, 2004
Preston Rock Garden
Am thinking of treating myself to a SLR but having been away from it for years and never having had a digital I don't want to spend a great deal. Any ideas from you experts. I do actually want a SLR and not a compact. So cost will matter. I want to take it on the river banks and lakes when I'm fishing when the better weather comes so lenses will matter won't they.

Got s lovely Ricoh SLR + super lens. Don't know much about it but it don't arf take good photos

sebtucknott

Aug 22, 2011
Shoreham-by-Sea

How much do you want to spend?

What do you want to take photos of?

Are you bothered by second hand?

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
G
How much do you want to spend?

What do you want to take photos of?

Are you bothered by second hand?

Well 2 to 3 hundred probably and certainly not worried about second hand if it's worth it . General photography really including some sports/athletics.

sebtucknott

Aug 22, 2011
Shoreham-by-Sea
G

Well 2 to 3 hundred probably and certainly not worried about second hand if it's worth it . General photography really including some sports/athletics.

Personally I would go with a Canon or Nikon. The biggest factor in good images is the lens rather than the camera. If you get a Canon/Nikon you have a wider choice of lens and also if you decided to buy a nicer lens(es) in the future if you then upgraded the body you wouldn't be wasting your money.

I'm a Canon guy so only know about them, I would go for a second hand 550D or 600D ideally with a 18-135mm lens

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Canon-EOS...Cameras_DigitalCameras_JN&hash=item1c4a545e12

Or if you can't find one for the price, get one with 18-55 and buy an additional lens at a later stage like a 70-300mm or something.

Could probably pick up a 350/400/500D although I'd be a little cautious of shutter life.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Personally I would go with a Canon or Nikon. The biggest factor in good images is the lens rather than the camera. If you get a Canon/Nikon you have a wider choice of lens and also if you decided to buy a nicer lens(es) in the future if you then upgraded the body you wouldn't be wasting your money.

I'm a Canon guy so only know about them, I would go for a second hand 550D or 600D ideally with a 18-135mm lens

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Canon-EOS...Cameras_DigitalCameras_JN&hash=item1c4a545e12

Or if you can't find one for the price, get one with 18-55 and buy an additional lens at a later stage like a 70-300mm or something.

Could probably pick up a 350/400/500D although I'd be a little cautious of shutter life.

Thanks

Zukey Seagull

Jun 23, 2013
Worthing
I just purchased myself a nikon lens (Nikkor) mainly for macro photography.
Looking forward to it coming on Sunday.
I now have 3 lenses but now need a new camera bag. Can anyone recommend one which is not a backpack as I already have got one of those. E.g. A sling bag.
I have looked on Amazon but wanted ideas from everyone on here please.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Am thinking of treating myself to a SLR but having been away from it for years and never having had a digital I don't want to spend a great deal. Any ideas from you experts. I do actually want a SLR and not a compact.
I would suggest you consider something like a micro 4/3rds. Not many people need an SLR any more.

http://improvephotography.com/12465/dslr-vs-micro-four-thirds-cameras/

What sort of photography do you want to do, how much time and effort do you want to put into it, how many lenses do you need and how much can you spend?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here