Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

General Photography thread

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
But now the post isn't vertical :facepalm:
It doesn't need to be - that's perspective. The horizon should be level though, unless it's deliberately a long way out.

Straightened on my phone.
:eek:

I shoot in RAW mode which produces almost a digital negative. There are colours in the image as you can see, but not to the extent when you shoot in jpeg mode when your camera will do the "developing" for you.
There aren't any colours in the RAW file at all. I don't mean in the same way that a jpeg is also ones and zeros, but a RAW file doesn't have values for RG&B as a jpeg does, a RAW file has to be converted before being viewed.

When you're happy with what you've done, you can save your file as a JPEG, whilst the original stays as a NEF file as you left it. For example, before I posted the original image below, I had to slide all the sliders back and set everything back, so none of the original file was permanently changed.
If you use Lightroom, you won't have to do that, as it will never change your original NEF.

If you've got 2 SD cards, you can set one of jpeg and one for RAW in your camera.
And if you've only got one SD card, you can set the camera to record both NEF and jpeg to it.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls

sebtucknott

Aug 22, 2011
Shoreham-by-Sea
Photo from yesterday's sunset :)

panorama-small.jpg

Zukey Seagull

Jun 23, 2013
Worthing
But surely you would keep back ups locally as well?

If you are worried about failing drives you could always set them up as a RAID system http://www.thegeekstuff.com/2010/08/raid-levels-tutorial/

At the moment I have a 1TB western digital hard drive, which is really good. But now I have a camera which uses more megapixels I might need to get another hard drive. I have my photos on my laptop, some in the cloud and all photos on my external hard drive.
So I am backed up pretty well, but relying on the cloud can not be the best of things.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Any tips on a good camera (new) for under £100.00 (if there is such thing!) ?

Buy a bridge camera. Some of them under £100 with a big zoom and macro look quite good. Results in poor light at the moment are not up to much.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

Zukey Seagull

Jun 23, 2013
Worthing
It's just a point-and-shoot. I use Photoscape to adjust the contrast etc.

Fair enough. I love shooting water with different shutter speeds. You can get it so it's looks like the water is moving or have it so you can see indivual droplets.
I find ashdown forest a good place to go for photos. If you can get there that is.

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Fair enough. I love shooting water with different shutter speeds. You can get it so it's looks like the water is moving or have it so you can see indivual droplets.
I find ashdown forest a good place to go for photos. If you can get there that is.

I love the forests in Mid-Sussex.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I'm not sure what that would be. It is just a default setting.
It will be different for each photo you take, your camera will guess the best setting to use. Depending on what software you use, you can look it up. There's other information stored too. Pasting the url of your image into an online exif viewer tells me that the shutter speed for your shot was 1/2000th of a second, aperture f2.4, ISO 8000. That's why the water is nicely frozen in time (if you wanted that). It would have been better (IMO) if the pebbles closest to the camera were in focus, which is down to the aperture and where you focused.

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
It will be different for each photo you take, your camera will guess the best setting to use. Depending on what software you use, you can look it up. There's other information stored too. Pasting the url of your image into an online exif viewer tells me that the shutter speed for your shot was 1/2000th of a second, aperture f2.4, ISO 8000. That's why the water is nicely frozen in time (if you wanted that). It would have been better (IMO) if the pebbles closest to the camera were in focus, which is down to the aperture and where you focused.

My word, just by doing that it gives so much detail. It seems to have got the camera make wrong. It's a Canon (Unless that's the same as Sony). It got the date right.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
My word, just by doing that it gives so much detail. It seems to have got the camera make wrong. It's a Canon (Unless that's the same as Sony). It got the date right.
That's weird, not sure why it's wrong. If you load images straight from the camera into Lightroom or similar, I assume it would be correct. You didn't take the photo with your Sony phone did you?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here