Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] General Election 2024 - 4th July

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
I'm a massive Remainer but I agree with all of this.
I'd say the Brighton community has a huge 'smugness' issue
Maybe a tiny bit strong, but some on NSC certainly veer towards that on occasion!
Perhaps it gives them a nice warm feeling like pissing your pants on a cold day.😁

Last edited:

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Interesting article on the Tory’s demise. This is years in the making, not Sunak’s fault as the arrogant tw@t Kwarteng would try to trick people …. already plotting for power. The Tories have left themselves just with an elderly/older Brexit demographic, now they’re fighting for those few million votes with Farage’s racists.

https://www.theguardian.com/comment...k-tories-election-conservatives-david-cameron

La fin.

Last edited:

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Not football related ☺️
Just the smug, 'artisan' everything, 'people's republic of Brighton & Hove', 'always on the right side of history' attitude

But just a subset, the chattering classes including a few dozen blokes here. Most Brightonians I know can’t stand politics, never ever mention Gaza/Rejoin/antisemitism/poverty/housing. A standing joke amongst folk we know including the young is that when people bring up these issues, the response from the less serious is “Anyway, what are your plans for weekend?”, a variation on “More tea vicar?”.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
But just a subset, the chattering classes including a few dozen blokes here. Most Brightonians I know can’t stand politics, never ever mention Gaza/Rejoin/antisemitism/poverty/housing. A standing joke amongst folk we know including the young is that when people bring up these issues, the response from the less serious is “Anyway, what are your plans for weekend?”, a variation on “More tea vicar?”.
Down our way, a less polite, “what the f—k are you on about?”

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I must say, I think Starmer is playing a blinder in this campaign.

He’s let out enough rope for Tory’s to hang themselves while simultaneously batting away all of the Tory and Reform smear campaigns.

I don’t like Starmer much but I have to hand it to him, he’s taking the Tory’s apart. Or rather, sidestepping the muck while the Tory’s slip around in it 🤣

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I must say, I think Starmer is playing a blinder in this campaign.

He’s let out enough rope for Tory’s to hang themselves while simultaneously batting away all of the Tory and Reform smear campaigns.

I don’t like Starmer much but I have to hand it to him, he’s taking the Tory’s apart. Or rather, sidestepping the muck while the Tory’s slip around in it 🤣

He’s largely not said anything controversial (other than booting out the racists), on taxation or expensive policies since day one. Standing still, keeping quiet and Labour’s polling has gone from a record 52% at Truss to a very respectable 42% now. Interesting the same absolute numbers are expected to vote Labour as did for Momentum in 2017.

The difference now is that the 58% is split so many ways, exacerbated by Reform. Watching TV you’d have the impression that Ed Davey is on the march, huge press coverage. When Sunak called the election they were on 9.7% and a forecast 65 seats. Now 10.7% and 71 seats. Hyperbole?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Does this extend beyond politics? Plucky and Stains fans online have often whinged about our arrogance :lolol: .
One day they may have something to be arrogant about. But I doubt it. Wankas.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

I think there is enough evidence now to suggest anyone still planning on voting Reform is either thick, or a ****, or both, or a tory in denial (which does not exclude their also being in one or both of the first two groups of course; Venn diagram, please).

Into the sea with them.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
I think there is enough evidence now to suggest anyone still planning on voting Reform is either thick, or a ****, or both, or a tory in denial (which does not exclude their also being in one or both of the first two groups of course; Venn diagram, please).

Into the sea with them.

They are simply a re-badged BNP who have also attracted a number of post Covid conspiratorial loons.

I disagree with the idea they are gleaning votes from natural Tories. They are simply picking up the smelly flaky dead skin that the Tories relatively recently decided to attract after they binned the centre.

Last edited:

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill

Into the sea with them.
That's harsh. There are two types of Reform voters, the thick ones you refer to and those that see it as a huge money making opportunity like Habib, Tice, Banks etc.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

Into the sea with them.

I like clarity. One positive from their ascent is confirmation that 85% of English voters aren’t racist.

IMG_2280.png

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
That's harsh. There are two types of Reform voters, the thick ones you refer to and those that see it as a huge money making opportunity like Habib, Tice, Banks etc.

I had thought that about Tice. But in a recent hustings he came across as very angry about a whole load of right wing stuff such as immigrants.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here