Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] General Election 2024 - 4th July

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Still far too much blue.

Much prefer this - electoral calculus latest.

View attachment 184794
I think the Tories will do better than we think. However, if that was correct, would that mean the Lib Dems were the official opposition ?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Crikey.

Still far too much blue.

Much prefer this - electoral calculus latest.

View attachment 184794
Yes, far too much blue!
Screenshot_20240628_074344_Chrome.jpg

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
I think the Tories will do better than we think. However, if that was correct, would that mean the Lib Dems were the official opposition ?

Yes.

That is the ideal outcome now. LibDems as official opposition.

Unfortunately we'd need Reforms vote to hold up for that to be the outcome, and I can't see that happening.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Yep.

No thread is safe from them introducing the subject (and their angst) yet again, though. Still, minority rights and opinions must be respected, eh?

What silly bugger introduced the B word on here .... Oh :facepalm:

Did anyone ever claim that NSC was the voice of mainstream opinion? If they did, they were more deluded than any Brexiteer/Remainer apologist floating their unbiassed(!) opinions around on this board.
NSC is an echo chamber for Remain; the rest of the UK isn't/wasn't. 52% to 48%.......and at the end of the day NSC was a part of the (losing) 48%. Is that or is that not a fact? Carry on...........................................

Yes, we all know you are definitely a winner, enjoy your winnings :thumbsup:

Last edited:

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Angry to think that the right wing mare might stay in the Commons. Not about you. All is good.

Anyway, this time next week will be the real event. Will you be staying up all night? I plan to, NSC is great on election nights, lots of company. This time I suspect the all night stalwarts might be joined by @WATFORD zero, @Hugo Rune and @Harry Wilson's tackle …. for some reason they gave election and referendum NSC nights a miss since 2010.

My plans to watch all the way through election nights and the reality may not always be the same as you may find out next week :wink:

But for the referendum, I was abroad on holiday and there was no way I was staying up to watch that gurning moron's supporters unknowingly take the country down the pan and wreck the economy in 2019 :thumbsup:

Last edited:

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Yes.

That is the ideal outcome now. LibDems as official opposition.

Unfortunately we'd need Reforms vote to hold up for that to be the outcome, and I can't see that happening.
Reform have had a bad week. First the confirmation regarding Farage's love of Putin (old news but many have been asleep on it) and secondly in the absence of other extreme parties at the election, we have confirmation that Reform are really just a BNP tribute act as racist as f**k at the core.

Neither great for participation beyond 10-15% rump of weirdos. In America Farage would be on 35-40%

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Reform have had a bad week. First the confirmation regarding Farage's love of Putin (old news but many have been asleep on it) and secondly in the absence of other extreme parties at the election, we have confirmation that Reform are really just a BNP tribute act as racist as f**k at the core.

Neither great for participation beyond 10-15% rump of weirdos. In America Farage would be on 35-40%
That’s where Farage was headed before the 34 guilty verdicts were returned. Suddenly it didn’t look quite so lucrative.
Now, it’s avoiding hustings, and charging £5 a head to talk to devotees.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Yep, with you on the tories doing better than people think. Hopefully not enough to force a hung parliament and God forbid, imagine if they actually won it!! It'll be biggest shock in political history.
Nah, by the last week of the campaign, most voters have already made up their minds. The Conservative Party’s messages and policies have been in the public eye for months, and those who support or oppose them are unlikely to change their stance at this late stage.

Historically, major shifts in polls during the final week of UK general elections are rare. Voter behavior tends to be relatively stable as the election date nears, and dramatic changes in support for any party, including the Conservatives, are uncommon.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Nah, by the last week of the campaign, most voters have already made up their minds. The Conservative Party’s messages and policies have been in the public eye for months, and those who support or oppose them are unlikely to change their stance at this late stage.

Historically, major shifts in polls during the final week of UK general elections are rare. Voter behavior tends to be relatively stable as the election date nears, and dramatic changes in support for any party, including the Conservatives, are uncommon.
Someone mentioned on the BBC there is around 4 million undecided voters, that is a decent chunk.

This just seems like an odd election, the result was known months ago, but will that put some people off going to the polls and voting for Labour.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Someone mentioned on the BBC there is around 4 million undecided voters, that is a decent chunk.

This just seems like an odd election, the result was known months ago, but will that put some people off going to the polls and voting for Labour.
I agree that the perception that the election is a foregone conclusion is dangerous.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester

They're not all going to break for the Cons though. Pollsters use differing modelling to determine how they will eventually decide to vote - which is why YouGov are showing lower numbers of Lab voters than all others - and recent history shows that if you take the average then they give fairly good estimate, especially once you get to the last 5 days of campaigning!

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

That’s why some Tories are ‘happy’ to mention a wipeout, thinking that some won’t be bothered about making an effort. Older Tory voters do turn out, but younger people wanting change need to make an effort.

I didn’t watch QT last night as I end up wanting to throw something at the tv, but I have been heartened by clips like this, young articulate young lady.

Last edited:

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
That’s why some Tories are ‘happy’ to mention a wipeout, thinking that some won’t be bothered about making an effort. Older Tory voters do turn out, but younger people wanting change need to make an effort.

I didn’t watch QT last night as I end up wanting to throw something at the tv, but I have been hearte by clips like this, young articulate young lady.

Stripped the heart of the youth services as part of their obsession in austerity

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here