Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] General Election 2024 - 4th July

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
They are simply a re-badged BNP who have also attracted a number of post Covid conspiratorial loons.

I disagree with the idea they are gleaning votes from natural Tories. They are simply picking up the smelly flaky dead skin that the Tories relatively recently decided to attract after they binned the centre.
Fair enough. Slough-the-dead-skin time.

Sunak just went for it last night, throw as many untruths out there and something sticks.

Really hope Starmer cleans up politics, we need the public to have their trust restored in democracy
Sunak simply had to go for it last night. It was his last chance saloon if the polls are correct! He had to throw every thing he could at Starmer and did so. Hopefully, in 8 days time Sunak is on his bike🤞🤞🖕

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
2019 vs forecast next week.

IMG_2290.png
IMG_2291.png

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Still far too much blue.

Much prefer this - electoral calculus latest.

View attachment 184794

Up to 99 racists! Their foot would be firmly in the door as in France and Italy. In age old Lab-Tory entrenchments, I don’t feel people have cottoned yet to the dangers of this in the medium to long term.

Zeberdi

“Vorsprung durch Technik”
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
Not sure I like that forecast - It predicts Liz Truss holding on to her seat.

Prefer this as a more reliable prediction based on Electoral Calculus polling/data analysis which predicts a clear win for Labour

@Westander - an angry response to my post wasn’t one I was expecting - I wasn’t criticising you. As Bodian posted above, Electoral Calculus produce more accurate results.

Last edited:

Zeberdi

NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
Still far too much blue.

Much prefer this - electoral calculus latest.

View attachment 184794
Agreed.

Has to be booted out, she’s lurched Trump Far Right since hurting us fiscally. Don’t want an alliance with Farage.

Tactical voting to get her out?

She’s my Constituency MP and you are preaching to the converted - But why the angry 😡response to my post? Surely what I posted is something to like not be angry about?

You are the one who is posting she will win not me. I said she is predicted to lose.🙂

The only tactical voting in this Constituency will be Reform and Green Conservatives and maybe a few Lib Dems voting for Truss to keep Labour out otherwise Tories will be voting for their independent candidate or Reform.

Last edited:

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
But just a subset, the chattering classes including a few dozen blokes here. Most Brightonians I know can’t stand politics, never ever mention Gaza/Rejoin/antisemitism/poverty/housing. A standing joke amongst folk we know including the young is that when people bring up these issues, the response from the less serious is “Anyway, what are your plans for weekend?”, a variation on “More tea vicar?”.
Did anyone ever claim that NSC was the voice of mainstream opinion? If they did, they were more deluded than any Brexiteer/Remainer apologist floating their unbiassed(!) opinions around on this board.
NSC is an echo chamber for Remain; the rest of the UK isn't/wasn't. 52% to 48%.......and at the end of the day NSC was a part of the (losing) 48%. Is that or is that not a fact? Carry on...........................................

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Agreed.

She’s my Constituency MP and you are preaching to the converted - But why the angry 😡response to my post?

I said she is predicted to lose.

Btw what is the point of tactical voting if Labour is the only serious contender and is ahead in the polls? What tactical voting do you suggest?

Angry to think that the right wing mare might stay in the Commons. Not about you. All is good.

Anyway, this time next week will be the real event. Will you be staying up all night? I plan to, NSC is great on election nights, lots of company. This time I suspect the all night stalwarts might be joined by @WATFORD zero, @Hugo Rune and @Harry Wilson's tackle …. for some reason they gave election and referendum NSC nights a miss since 2010.

Last edited:

Zeberdi

NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
But just a subset, the chattering classes including a few dozen blokes here. Most Brightonians I know can’t stand politics, never ever mention Gaza/Rejoin/antisemitism/poverty/housing. A standing joke amongst folk we know including the young is that when people bring up these issues, the response from the less serious is “Anyway, what are your plans for weekend?”, a variation on “More tea vicar?”.
I think most ‘sensible’ people realise how divisive politics is now and try and avoid discussing it.

The Referendum on Brexit carved some families right down the middle - My Brother-in-Law was staunchly Leave as was my elderly Mum but my Sister and all three of my nieces were very much Remain as was I.

I don’t think the Country has really recovered from the schismatic nature of Brexit - in all discussion of domestic politics since, that has always been the angry elephant in the room for some folk.

Most people I know never mention Ukraine/Russia either btw

Last edited:

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Did anyone ever claim that NSC was the voice of mainstream opinion? If they did, they were more deluded than any Brexiteer/Remainer apologist floating their unbiassed(!) opinions around on this board.
NSC is an echo chamber for Remain; the rest of the UK isn't/wasn't. 52% to 48%.......and at the end of the day NSC was a part of the (losing) 48%. Is that or is that not a fact? Carry on...........................................

I never fell for that. How on earth can a few dozen middle age blokes relentlessly posting politics on a football forum be representative of a city or a county? The Bear Pit then Ignore Thread function dealt a fatal blow to the play-to-the-gallery noise.

Zeberdi

NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
Angry to think that the right wing mare might stay in the Commons. Not about you. All is good.

Anyway, this time next week will be the real event. Will you be staying up all night? I plan to, NSC is great on election nights, lots of company. This time I suspect the all night stalwarts might be joined by @WATFORD zero, @Hugo Rune and @Harry Wilson's tackle …. for some reason they gave recent election and referendum NSC nights a miss since 2010.

Ok.

Yes, I will be joining @Bozza on his thread for the all-nighter once I’ve finished at the Polling Station. I think I will need lots of coffee to get me through work on Friday but I have never missed a General Election all nighter ever since I was old enough to vote. :flounce:

I’ll post updates on the Truss thread at some points through the day from her Constituency too - they won’t be impartial but then again nor is NSC :wink:

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I think most ‘sensible’ people realise how divisive politics is now and try and avoid discussing it.

The Referendum on Brexit carved some families right down the middle - My Brother-in-Law was staunchly Leave as was my elderly Mum but my Sister and all three of my nieces were very much Remain as was I.

I don’t think the Country has really recovered from the schismatic nature of Brexit - in all discussion of domestic politics since, that has always be the angry elephant in the room for some folk.

Most people I know never mention Ukraine/Russia either btw

I briefly fell out with a Trump supporter I know in 2020, they kind of sent me to Coventry.

I know loads of Brexiteers, I respected their opinion, to my knowledge none were racists. I wasn’t going to fall out with them. Similarly I didn’t see a reason to despise Brexiteers on nsc. We aren’t defined by one legal and not abhorrent political view.

Last edited:

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
NSC is great on election nights, lots of company. This time I suspect the all night stalwarts might be joined by @WATFORD zero, @Hugo Rune and @Harry Wilson's tackle …. for some reason they gave recent election and referendum NSC nights a miss since 2010.
Well, some not all.

Sadly, @WATFORD zero's temporary suspension of posting rights following his recent abuse of another member kicks in at 9.59pm on Election Night. I tried everything to reverse it but the 'manual over-ride' lever came off in my hand and @Bozza can't get replacement parts in time as they have to get shipped in from the EU. But he'll be back on board by the following Monday when the ban expires.

Zeberdi

NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022

Or maybe NSC was just ahead of its time 😉 - since 2020, polls show the only time the majority opinion favoured Brexit was in 2021 - otherwise Bregret has been steadily rising. As of 2024, 31% still think it was right to leave. 55% now think we were wrong to leave. 13% don’t know.

So your argument may be right about NSC members in 2016-20 (before I joined) but not now.
IMG_1171.jpeg

Last edited:

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I never fell for that. How on earth can a few dozen middle age blokes relentlessly posting politics on a football forum be representative of a city or a county? The Bear Pit then Ignore Thread function dealt a fatal blow to the play-to-the-gallery noise.
Yep.

No thread is safe from them introducing the subject (and their angst) yet again, though. Still, minority rights and opinions must be respected, eh?

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Well, some not all.

Sadly, @WATFORD zero's temporary suspension of posting rights following his recent abuse of another member kicks in at 9.59pm on Election Night. I tried everything to reverse it but the 'manual over-ride' lever came off in my hand and @Bozza can't get replacement parts in time as they have to get shipped in from the EU. But he'll be back on board by the following Monday when the ban expires.

That might finally cure his Tourettes every time he says the word Boris.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Yep.

No thread is safe from them introducing the subject (and their angst) yet again, though. Still, minority rights and opinions must be respected, eh?

In the last couple of years that’s been generally mocked, even by other Remain NSC’ers. Most people, polls showed this pre election, were sick and tired of the subject.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here