Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] General Election 2024 - 4th July

dolphins

Jan 26, 2012
BN1, in GOSBTS
For those waiting on their postal votes, mine and Mrs D's have literally just been delivered.

Interestingly, the voting form includes the area that each candidate lives in. For Pavilion, the Reform candidate lives in Herne Bay and Sandwich. Wonder if they've been to Brighton often?

Edit: just filling mine in and you have to include your Date Of Birth in some boxes - the year is prefixed by 19.. which surely is wrong - assuming my maths is correct, those born as soon as 2006 (2006?! bloody hell...) can vote, and would qualify for a postal vote. Another way to stop youngsters voting? :unsure:

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
For those waiting on their postal votes, mine and Mrs D's have literally just been delivered.
the year is prefixed by 19.. which surely is wrong - assuming my maths is correct, those born as soon as 2006 (2006?! bloody hell...) can vote, and would qualify for a postal vote. Another way to stop youngsters voting? :unsure:
Wow you can’t be that stupid can you?

They know your DOB ffs when you applied

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
Interesting comment re postal votes - I chased mine up this today as I'm going away next week.

Was told - they would be sent out Monday / Tuesday next week - so arriving probably Tuesday / Wednesday next week.

So will arrive only (just over) a week before the election....seemed a bit late to me....

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria

Interestingly, the voting form includes the area that each candidate lives in. For Pavilion, the Reform candidate lives in Herne Bay and Sandwich. Wonder if they've been to Brighton often?

Edit: just filling mine in and you have to include your Date Of Birth in some boxes - the year is prefixed by 19.. which surely is wrong - assuming my maths is correct, those born as soon as 2006 (2006?! bloody hell...) can vote, and would qualify for a postal vote. Another way to stop youngsters voting? :unsure:
Why do you have to put your DOB of a postal vote. I don't have to do this at the polling station.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Interesting comment re postal votes - I chased mine up this today as I'm going away next week.

Was told - they would be sent out Monday / Tuesday next week - so arriving probably Tuesday / Wednesday next week.

So will arrive only (just over) a week before the election....seemed a bit late to me....
Especially if you are away for a fortnight's holiday - which wouldn't be that unusual at this time of year. Maybe it's to prevent all the students on their 18-30 holidays from voting?

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Maybe it's to prevent all the students on their 18-30 holidays from voting?
Seemingly, many of them don't intend to vote anyway. The Office for National Statistics for England and Wales have said that the number of young people not registered to vote is estimated at approximately 4.3 million people.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
So why don't they just print it on the form instead of printing it '19--' for the voter to fill in the last two digits?
🤷
My son and daughter away at Uni both got postals through with 20 prefixed, maybe it could be possible for somone to open up the envelope and commit fraud maybe?

Edit and it’s 2 digits for rest of year, 2 for month and 2 for day👍

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
🤷
My son and daughter away at Uni both got postals through with 20 prefixed, maybe it could be possible for somone to open up the envelope and commit fraud maybe?

Edit and it’s 2 digits for rest of year, 2 for month and 2 for day👍
Fair enough - and thanks for the sensible reply (they don't always occur on NSC!)

dolphins

Jan 26, 2012
BN1, in GOSBTS
Screenshot 2024-06-20 at 15.35.56.png

Not sure he knows the exact meaning of "literally" - unless, of course, he has proof that they ARE nicking them!

Washie

Jun 20, 2011
Eastbourne

Applications to vote by post closed yesterday.

Washie

Jun 20, 2011
Eastbourne

You can apply to vote by proxy until 26th. So if you trust someone enough to vote for you, you can register them to put in your vote if you will be away when the postal vote arrives.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland

Mine arrived (oop North) yesterday.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron