Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] General Election 2024 - 4th July

BrightonCottager

Sep 30, 2013
Brighton
Mine arrived (oop North) yesterday.
Ours arrived (in Preston Park) yesterday too. The DoB thing was a bit odd - I guess to help counter fraud. My 18yo daughter was very excited to vote in her first GE. Only hope the Royal Mail don't lose them now (1500 arrived after the count in the 2023 local elections).

chickens

Have you considered masterly inactivity?
NSC Patron
Oct 12, 2022
The Telegraph poll was clearly designed to scare the loyal Tory vote into going out on polling day. I would love to see it, but I fear it’s incredibly optimistic.

I can’t stress enough the need to vote tactically. Check who is able to beat the Conservative candidate in your area, it might be that as a natural Labour voter you have to vote Lib Dem, or as a natural Lib Dem voter you have to vote Labour to be certain of removing the Conservative candidate.

A tactical voting tool is here: https://tacticalvote.co.uk/

Similarly, if you’re a decent former Conservative voter who can’t bring themselves to vote Labour, then I’d recommend the Lib Dems. If you’ve actually been hiding your open racism beneath a thin veneer of respectability then Reform is the party for you.

Last edited:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I watched a bit of Starmer yesterday and didn't think he was prepared for the question about his having said Corbyn would make a 'great prime minister'. He said he didn't think Starmer would win, and would nevertheless have been better than Johnson.

That said.....it would be more honest if the questioner had asked whether it is ever acceptable to change one's mind in politics (obviously it is), and whether it is a requirement to stand down as an MP if you don't like your leader, and make a massive noise about it in the media (obviously not - stay in the tent and fight for change when the opportunity arises - which is what Starmer did).

Obviously the question is designed to make Starmer look hypocritical or a dick and, to be honest, it isn't an easy question to answer. But I thought he could have done better. Perhaps the fact he didn't answer it well is paradoxically a good thing. Stark contrast to the slick lying bullshit from Sunk.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
I watched a bit of Starmer yesterday and didn't think he was prepared for the question about his having said Corbyn would make a 'great prime minister'. He said he didn't think Starmer would win, and would nevertheless have been better than Johnson.

That said.....it would be more honest if the questioner had asked whether it is ever acceptable to change one's mind in politics (obviously it is), and whether it is a requirement to stand down as an MP if you don't like your leader, and make a massive noise about it in the media (obviously not - stay in the tent and fight for change when the opportunity arises - which is what Starmer did).

Obviously the question is designed to make Starmer look hypocritical or a dick and, to be honest, it isn't an easy question to answer. But I thought he could have done better. Perhaps the fact he didn't answer it well is paradoxically a good thing. Stark contrast to the slick lying bullshit from Sunk.
And it succeeded.

If he didn't believe in Corbyn's take on things / didn't like his policies / thought he was a racist grandpa why did he not stand AGAINST Corbyn for the party leadership rather than campaigning on his behalf and telling the world what a "great PM" he would make?

That's a rhetorical question of course. I'm not expecting you to know the answer. Hell, even Starmer couldn't come up with an answer. Is it an issue with Starmer's judgement or his honesty and integrity? It has to be one. It could be both.

Doonhamer7

Jun 17, 2016
Of the 4 leaders on question time - I was most impressed by Davey - he felt the most honest of the four, unimpressed with Stammer and I don’t trust Sunak all a bit too smooth (someone advising him is stupid - the three Tories who bet on election date need to be suspended immediately (as what happened to the policeman)) noted the ‘shame‘ from audience over leaving ECHR

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
I wonder if the gaming commission are looking to see if any tory candidates have placed some spread bets on the election results!!

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Is it an issue with Starmer's judgement or his honesty and integrity?

It's an issue with FPTP where any party who is going to get into Government are going to need to maintain a very large coalition of divergent views across their party. Something one of the current two parties seems to have entirely forgotten with their brilliant idea of bringing their two wings together with a referendum, (destroying the British economy in the process) and then deciding to pander to the 'winning' wing completely at the expense of the centre and other wing :shootself

On this whole betting thing, I'm struggling to keep up to date. I understand it's currently 4 people involved. Is it now 2 sitting MPs that are under investigation, together with the Director of the Election campaign husband of one, none of whom have been suspended by Rishi, whilst the Policeman from Downing Street that has also placed a bet has been suspended immediately. Is that right ?

Last edited:

aolstudios

Nov 30, 2011
brighton
If he didn't believe in Corbyn's take on things / didn't like his policies / thought he was a racist grandpa why did he not stand AGAINST Corbyn for the party leadership rather than campaigning on his behalf and telling the world what a "great PM" he would make?

That's a rhetorical question of course. I'm not expecting you to know the answer. Hell, even Starmer couldn't come up with an answer. Is it an issue with Starmer's judgement or his honesty and integrity? It has to be one. It could be both.

He decided to stay & rebuild the party. He's going to win, so frankly his judgement looks pretty good, doesn't it?

Last edited:

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
On this whole betting thing, I'm struggling to keep up to date. I understand it's currently 4 people involved. Is it now 2 sitting MPs that are under investigation, together with the Director of the Election campaign husband of one, none of whom have been suspended by Rishi, whilst the Policeman from Downing Street that has also placed a bet has been suspended immediately. Is that right ?

The "2 sitting MPs" are definitely candidates in the current GE. Not sure if they are current sitting MPs or not (I don't stay up to date on Tories), but inclined to think they are not sitting MPs based on the wording of articles about it all. Otherwise - spot on.

In other news, had the conservative flyer for Mims Davies through the door yesterday. Had a quick skim through it. Very interesting that the "primary content" (front page, inside pages) is all very focussed on putting down Lib Dem / Green. Only the very back page devotes any time to anti-Labour.

Tells us everything we need to know about who to vote for tactically: Lib Dem it will be.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
The "2 sitting MPs" are definitely candidates in the current GE. Not sure if they are current sitting MPs or not (I don't stay up to date on Tories), but inclined to think they are not sitting MPs based on the wording of articles about it all. Otherwise - spot on.

In other news, had the conservative flyer for Mims Davies through the door yesterday. Had a quick skim through it. Very interesting that the "primary content" (front page, inside pages) is all very focussed on putting down Lib Dem / Green. Only the very back page devotes any time to anti-Labour.

Tells us everything we need to know about who to vote for tactically: Lib Dem it will be.
I managed to prevent to tory rag actually coming through the letter box and dirtying my mat by directing them to the recycling bin in the porch!

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Once a parliament has been dissolved it has no members so neither of the two tory candidates can be regarded as "sitting MPs" but merely candidates. Any person who was an MP in the previous parliament is currently described on the HoC website as "the former member for [name of constituency they were elected to represent]."

As I understand it, the bloke from Wales was definitely an MP in the last parliament, and Sunak's PPS; and for the woman from Bristol this is her first crack at it, having most recently worked as a Conservative Party staffer.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border

Usual Tory response even if they know the people under investigation are guilty, an investigation must take place first.

Delay delay, don't answer questions and hope by the time the investigation is completed, things have moved on, and any guilty verdict can be buried by the usual dead cat story.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here