Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] General Election 2024 - 4th July

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
You just parrot out that anything other than the current state of affairs constitutes extremism of the left or the right (or, citing the horseshoe theory, that they're ultimately the same as one another). Such parroting only tends to occur when the current state of affairs is failing badly whereas, when things are going reasonably well, there doesn't tend to be the hype around extremism, as it can be more or less ignored, or is fixated elsewhere than the 'extremism' (of course) of the left and the right, eg Islamic fundamentalism. For those that parrot as such, there's never, ever a left or a right, only a centre-left versus an extreme/far left or a centre-right versus an extreme/far right.
If you want a more technical answer as you might with an MA in History, it's all to do with hegemony.
Just read this properly. No idea where that came from. @A1X's question was innocuous and reasonable. I've been fretting about this all day :down:

Reactions: A1X

Durlston

"You plonker, Rodney!"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
So when was this announced?

Oh well, got far more important things to worry about than just one shitty vote full of wànkers around here that won't make a jot of difference.

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Keir Starmer has insisted the UK will not rejoin either the EU, the single market or the customs union within his lifetime, in his firmest pledge yet that Labour will not seek much closer relations with Europe for as long as he is prime minister.

The Labour leader told reporters on Wednesday he did not think Britain would go back into any of the three blocs while he was alive, all but ruling out rejoining even if he wins a second term in office.
Good. If ever I get back to being allowed to vote for my local MP again, I'll go back to voting Labour
Indeed.

This ‘supermajority’ BS from the Tories will have the same effect as the last minute rolling out of that swine Johnson will have.

Tories will stay at home. There is a huge group of undecided voters whose natural instinct is ‘what’s in it for me?’ Why support a party when they are about to be crushed. Why get off your fat Tory ass to place a vote when the party has just undertaken probably the worst election campaign in history?
Why get off your fat Labour arse to place a vote in what is a foregone conclusion?
A Labour win is good, even with a small majority.
A Labour landslide beating the ‘97 total would be amazing.
But a result with Tory MPs on the double figures would be historic, utterly brilliant and wonderful for this country. Especially if somehow they could come third.
You'd prefer Reform to become the official second party? Wow!

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
One significant way to help business and achieve growth would be to take away control of interest rates from the Bank of England who are keeping the interest rate at way above the current rate of inflation. High interest rates rates stifle investment in new infrastructure, R&D, housebuilding etc.

Who benefits most from high interest rates? Why, the banks of course as they invest and they lend. They get the benefit of the high rates at both ends.

Starmer should remove the BoE's control of interest rates immediately. The costs of borrowing must come down if we want to achieve growth.
Blair made the arrangement because interest rate changes had been used for egregious political purposes by the outgoing Tory shower and he wanted to remove this as a thing (perhaps as a temptation). Somehow Lawson f***ed many of us up with insane interest rises only for he tories to then drop them again in time to take credit for an 'economic miracle'. Just like Sunk is currently claiming over inflation "Down from 11 to 2%, a record reduction showing how lovely I am" neglecting to mention that it was his cretinosity that took it up to 11 in the first place. He tried the same with 'the boats' but has shut up now the numbers have bounced back to record levels. The chiselling ****.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
You'd prefer Reform to become the official second party? Wow!
Silly sausage!

I think you must be the only person in the Country to even think they’d become the 2nd party. It seems your knowledge of this FPTP election is on par with Boris Johnson’s knowledge of the birthdays of his many, many children.

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Silly sausage!

I think you must be the only person in the Country to even think they’d become the 2nd party. It seems your knowledge of this FPTP election is on par with Boris Johnson’s knowledge of the birthdays of his many, many children.
It seems that the Tory party are a tad worried about Reform taking their votes! You're not one of the deluded fools who think that the Lib. Dems. will become the second party, surely? I thought you were far more politically aware than that!

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
It seems that the Tory party are a tad worried about Reform taking their votes! You're not one of the deluded fools who think that the Lib. Dems. will become the second party, surely? I thought you were far more politically aware than that!
They can take hundreds of thousands of Tory votes but FPTP prevents them from getting over a dozen seats. I’ve not seen any recent polls predicting they’ll get double figures. I have seen polls today indicating that the Lib Dems could get 70+.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
Can't we just call it and give Labour a 250 seat majority and the Cons 10yrs in the darkness why they reinvent themselves. Can get back to Albion talk then

Reactions: cjd

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
And the new PM will have the lowest approval rating of any PM on taking office (or something like that - source: The Rest is Politics)
To get really low rankings you have to have been in charge for long enough to have vintage wine fuelled parties when the rest of the country are locked up or dying.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Just read this properly. No idea where that came from. @A1X's question was innocuous and reasonable. I've been fretting about this all day :down:
Don't fret Harry. If you go back a little, in response to the reply of @A1X to this post, I clarified that I was speaking generally about the plural you who advocates and practices extremism of the centre whereas, perfectly reasonably, your and the poster fear that I was using the singular you. It's one of the delights of the English language.

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
They can take hundreds of thousands of Tory votes but FPTP prevents them from getting over a dozen seats. I’ve not seen any recent polls predicting they’ll get double figures. I have seen polls today indicating that the Lib Dems could get 70+.
70 seats will outnumber the Tories? Right-e-ho.

FWIW, whatever strange things may be thrown up by tomorrow's election, I have no doubt that. for better or for worse, the Tories will be the second party.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Don't fret Harry. If you go back a little, in response to the reply of @A1X to this post, I clarified that I was speaking generally about the plural you who advocates and practices extremism of the centre whereas, perfectly reasonably, your and the poster fear that I was using the singular you. It's one of the delights of the English language.
Thanks! I have always enjoyed your posts and general aura, and had feared you had done a Kilroy :lolol: :thumbsup:

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Extremism of the centre is such an odd phrase, though I understand why you’ve used it (twice).

If you catch any centrist dictatorships, notice centrists rounding up an entire race into gas chambers or closing borders due to everyone living in concrete boxes, queuing for bread and driving Ladas, do let me know,

Nobby

Sep 29, 2007
Regardless of anyone’s specific political leanings on here, a ‘super’ majority with a small potentially ineffective opposition is surely damaging to the UK’s democracy?

Whilst it’s clearly time for a change, and the Tories have brought a lot of this on themselves, will five years of Starmer ‘Carte Blanche’ really make the UK a better place?
Yes.
Even if it’s because it can’t be any worse

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
FPTP you say? I like the sound of that outcome. I will have to look it up to see what FPTP means. I have spent much of the day worrying about all sorts of strange voting rubrics, AVSU, Third preference, The Gush.....it is all confusing.

If I vote for someone and they get the most votes, it means they win, right? People keep telling me this is wrong and immoral.

I am going to make a stand and say, no, I think it is appropriate. So there.

Now, I am going to look up FPTP and see if that has any merit.

Thanks for cheering me up :thumbsup:

:lolol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here