Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] General Election 2024 - 4th July

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Shitstalgia is rife in the things I look at. I adore old pictures of the UK, but especially Brighton. Yet you have to endure shitstalgia in abundance.

It's like the days of Janet and John were really a thing. The wistful retro-bias in people is only a reflection of being unable to cope with age. Of course the 70s were better- because I was a kid who didn't have a shit job (actually I have a rather good one, but anyway) didn't have to think about bills, future health and all the people I was closest to would still be alive.

In one of our late Friday wind downs I was a chatting with my boss about all this. We concluded that, as always, things always lay in between where truth is concerned. The society we live in now is probably the most enlightened in history, most socially conscious, but also the most intense. I think we need take a little bit from every era to form our utopia.
Great post, agree entirely.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Not having that. I'm 66 and not in great health. I hate the present incarnation of the Tories, regard Brexit as ****ish self harm, and worry about our kids.

And yet . . . this is definitely the finest time for the most people to have been/be alive. Me included. I love it. There is nothing from the past I want to put in my Tardis and transport to now. Certainly not my regrets.

(But I like to look at the past and fish out joy from recollection. I'll never resurrect the absolute babe magnet and risk-taking winner I once was, but that's probably for the best :lolol: )
I'd like the Noel Edmonds Breakfast Show to come back.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Charles Kennedy? I liked him.
Not him, though I liked him too. Sad about his sauce-thirst.

I looked the relevant man up, since you asked, and since it would be rude to not. It was Vince Cable.

Sad that neither you not I could remember his name. So much for the bright fairies in the dull parties.....
:thumbsup:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Shitstalgia is rife in the things I look at. I adore old pictures of the UK, but especially Brighton. Yet you have to endure shitstalgia in abundance.

It's like the days of Janet and John were really a thing. The wistful retro-bias in people is only a reflection of being unable to cope with age. Of course the 70s were better- because I was a kid who didn't have a shit job (actually I have a rather good one, but anyway) didn't have to think about bills, future health and all the people I was closest to would still be alive.

In one of our late Friday wind downs I was a chatting with my boss about all this. We concluded that, as always, things always lay in between where truth is concerned. The society we live in now is probably the most enlightened in history, most socially conscious, but also the most intense. I think we need take a little bit from every era to form our utopia.

I’ve had these discussions with @HWT before, agreeing with your argument.

In the 60’s and 70’s gays brave enough to come out were beaten up by strangers, victims of childhood (millions) sexual abuse would never be believed, kids were beaten by teachers, black folk had trouble finding lodgings let alone careers, the hoi polloi were excluded from professions by cleverly constructed financial/training barriers, deference to business owner bosses was expected, corrupt police took bribes, made up evidence, only wealthy posh folk got to see America, Caribbean, went skiing, much of Brighton/Hove and the UK was broken or boarded up (post war austerity), strikes/disputes dominated as the UK was overtaken one by one by competitors who didn’t make awful cars or products. There were far less medical cures eg my aunt died of a C, now with an 80% cure rate.

Zeberdi

“Vorsprung durch Technik”
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
This is strange - this thread is not showing up when I sign in - obviously I don’t have @Bozza on ignore but flummoxed as to why this thread is invisible to me 😳 I have to keep signing out or access it through earlier posts.

Does this also mean my posts aren’t seen on this thread?

EDIT

Had clicked on the “ignore thread” button by mistake when I was seeing who had “replied” earlier - all good 😂

Last edited:

Zeberdi

NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
Sunak tonight saying ‘24hrs to save country’, like he and his party haven’t actually had 14 years?
Truss wants 10 years (but that is to save the entire West tbh :lol:)

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
IMG_0205.jpeg

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Screenshot 2024-07-03 233516.png

:lolol:

I'm guessing that's a lift from 2019 with the word Conservatives replaced.... :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol:

I think they've honestly lost their marbles. Someone send the nurses into DMG media HQ

Zeberdi

NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
They’ve adapted Kinnock’s 83 speech.
Oh goodness, don’t mention Kinnock on the Eve of the GE - we are trying very hard to be circumspect and quietly hopeful in the Labour Party tonight with no joy nor even a teeny feeling of ‘well all right’ 🙂

But all pinned on and ready to go …

IMG_2006.jpeg

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Oh goodness, don’t mention Kinnock on the Eve of the GE - we are trying very hard to be circumspect and quietly hopeful in the Labour Party tonight with no joy nor even a teeny feeling of ‘well all right’ 🙂

But all pinned on and ready to go …

View attachment 185107

Interesting radio interview with Kinnock the other day. His heart and head told him the 92 election was lost a couple of weeks before his awful attempt at Americana. Canvassing in Labour marginals, he said voters wouldn’t look him in the eye.

But you don’t know everyone in a 70.000 wide community who’s said who they’re voting for, right?
Correct. My point was that out of around 30 colleagues/friends every single 1 of them apart from myself, said "Reform all day long" when we talked about the election. What my post was about was that Reform could surprise us here in this constituency!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here