Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gary Dicker, is in my opinion, not terribly good.

The Terminator

Aug 7, 2010
Good league 1 player but just hasn't made the step up.

DPM0395

Aug 11, 2011
London
Dicker certainly seems to have been wasteful in possession since back, Navarro is pretty decent imo, both at a similar level but the main point is that I'd struggle to think of any players in our squad at a higher level in the same position, certainly would be nice if this was addressed in the summer. Painter I am not a big fan off, shit chips up the wing, very slow (lack of pace being what they all have in common). Unfortunately, pace is massively important it seems in the championship, Kebe doesn't seem that good to me, but very fast, Blackpool seem to use similiar quick players to good affect.

Anyone got any thoughts about a box to box midfielder that would make a difference to our side next year?

Sam Ovett

The New Manager Bus
Dicker certainly seems to have been wasteful in possession since back, Navarro is pretty decent imo, both at a similar level but the main point is that I'd struggle to think of any players in our squad at a higher level in the same position, certainly would be nice if this was addressed in the summer. Painter I am not a big fan off, shit chips up the wing, very slow (lack of pace being what they all have in common). Unfortunately, pace is massively important it seems in the championship, Kebe doesn't seem that good to me, but very fast, Blackpool seem to use similiar quick players to good affect.

Anyone got any thoughts about a box to box midfielder that would make a difference to our side next year?

Matt Sparrow?

Lifelong Supporter

Aug 4, 2009
Burgess Hill
It will always be some player though won't it. If not Dicker you will find somebody else to target. If he were to go, it would be the next person in line. it is all prettyi pittiful. Dicker is 4 games back from a broken leg and playing in a team that has been struggling. He is not a world beater and has been playing under pressure. Do you not appreciate we have been playing against a team at the top of the league, one that is third and a Watford team that are pretty physical. He assisted in the first goal yesterday with a perfectly weighted pass inside the full back. I reckon that was pretty important and well done !!!! Come on say it, well done Dicker. Would it really hurt that much !!!

tycoon0_0

Aug 3, 2011
Why are people blaming his return from injury???

Gary Dicker cannot pass a ball. He cannot cross a ball. He cannot head a ball. He cannot strike a ball.

Unless he is passed the ball DIRECTLY to his feet and given about 15 seconds without being tackled he MAY play a short ball to Bridcutt who then actually gets the ball forward.

Considering how quick Gus is to drop any of the loan players he has ridiculous faith and patience with Dicker, Painter and Barnes. Hopefully all three will be moved on this summer and those wages can be spent on Championship quality players.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
Why are people blaming his return from injury

Gary Dicker cannot pass a ball. He cannot cross a ball. He cannot head a ball. He cannot strike a ball.

Unless he is passed the ball DIRECTLY to his feet and given about 15 seconds without being tackled he MAY play a short ball to Bridcutt who then actually gets the ball forward.

Considering how quick Gus is to drop any of the loan players he has ridiculous faith and patience with Dicker, Painter and Barnes. Hopefully all three will be moved on this summer and those wages can be spent on Championship quality players.

If you have only seen him this season it is strange to be so harsh. He was the passing heart of the League One Champions last season - one of the best seasons many people can remember. Even in that team there were people who could not see what he delivered to the team.

I want to see him given every chance to make the step up. And if Gus thinks he can do it - then he deserves our support.

But to say he can't pass a ball is obtuse.

Mackerboy

Sep 20, 2011
We need a new left back 100% painter is just out of his comfort zone IMO. Good lad tho and wish him the best. Dicker has clearly struggled since his broken leg. Good squad player but not every game starter IMO. He has looked tired at the end of games and should have come off to get nooney involved. Next season he will be better as he has only just come back from a broken leg ! Give him a chance.

bhawoddy

Jan 25, 2011
If you have only seen him this season it is strange to be so harsh. He was the passing heart of the League One Champions last season - one of the best seasons many people can remember. Even in that team there were people who could not see what he delivered to the team.

I want to see him given every chance to make the step up. And if Gus thinks he can do it - then he deserves our support.

But to say he can't pass a ball is obtuse.

But were not in league 1 anymore - The jump up has caught a few of them out for pace and ability. Its factual.

To say dicker cant pass is a bit strong, but he, navarro, painter have all been found wanting for a side that is challenging for promotion. They are all too slow and should be looking at other clubs for next year, in league 1 where they are best suited. They would no doubt be top end players in that division.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Why are people blaming his return from injury???

Barnes has been very good this season.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
But were not in league 1 anymore - The jump up has caught a few of them out for pace and ability. Its factual.

That is actually opinion. Particularly for Dicker. My view is that he is struggling - but if Gus wants to give him an opportunity at this level - well that is fine by me.

To say dicker cant pass is a bit strong, but he, navarro, painter have all been found wanting for a side that is challenging for promotion.

Can't pass is actually factually incorrect and disrespectful to a player who has served our club well. I will wait to see what Gus thinks we need.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
As an Albion fan and supporter, whenever we get promoted I always hope that all of the guys who were part of the success manage to stay with us and continue where the previous season left off. Sadly that never seems to happen. A couple manage to hang on for one more season when in hindsight they should have been moved on. Unfortunately, for me anyway, Dicker is one of those players. When his passing game is good it can be very good but when it's bad it's shocking and a lot of misplaced passes have led to panic amongst the crowd. Some footballers will never be anything more than L1 or L2 players and there's nothing wrong with that-wish I could have been even close to that in my playing days.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
That is actually opinion. Particularly for Dicker. My view is that he is struggling - but if Gus wants to give him an opportunity at this level - well that is fine by me.

Can't pass is actually factually incorrect and disrespectful to a player who has served our club well. I will wait to see what Gus thinks we need.

I haven't read through the rest of this thread, but I do recall that, though I'd say he made a sluggish start to this season, he was improving by the time he broke his leg.

My hunch - and it is only a hunch - is Gus will give him another opportunity.

bhawoddy

Jan 25, 2011

If you read my comments correctly i would be agreeing that the poster was OTT in saying Dicker cannot pass.

bhawoddy

Jan 25, 2011
I haven't read through the rest of this thread, but I do recall that, though I'd say he made a sluggish start to this season, he was improving by the time he broke his leg.

My hunch - and it is only a hunch - is Gus will give him another opportunity.

How are you going to improve his speed? You need fast energetic players at this level. Whilst he is a decent footballer, championship level requires players to be quicker. The same for navarro and painter too unfortunately.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
How are you going to improve his speed? You need fast energetic players at this level. Whilst he is a decent footballer, championship level requires players to be quicker. The same for navarro and painter too unfortunately.

If you're talking about pace over 30 yards - maybe. If you're talking about pace in the head (i.e. positioning and speed of thought), I think Navarro is pretty much there. He has been over the past few games.

Adam El-Abd doesn't have real pace, but his starting position and speed of thought mark him out as one of our better and more reliable players.

Dicker is a ditherer - but on his day can be superb; same for Bridcutt at times, actually.

Last edited:

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
If you read my comments correctly i would be agreeing that the poster was OTT in saying Dicker cannot pass.

You said it was "a bit strong". But it was "a fact" they were too slow. My point was that the latter was an opinion and the first was not just a bit strong - but factually incorrect and disrespectful. I have no real argument with you bhawoody.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here