Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gary Dicker, is in my opinion, not terribly good.

Brighton Gull

Apr 14, 2011
Brighton
I'll always be grateful to Gary for his work in 08/09 season & he doesn't deserve comments like these. No, he's not having a good time at the moment but I bet your comments will make him feel a hell of a lot better. That's what supporters do, isn't it?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
He's been put back in too fast too soon
This. He's a good player, but it can take time to get back into things. It was a bit of a gamble playing him, and it hasn't paid off.

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
I am not a big fan of Dicker and I don't believe he is up to the Championship but to call him shite is way over the top. He is a very good L1 player.

Northstandite

Jun 6, 2011
Gus has a thing for him, not entirely sure why. Hope I'm wrong but I think, in Dicker, he sees an image of himself. If so we might as well get used to seeing a whole lot more of him

Gus & his IT squad development guy, love Dicker's pass completion rate.

But that ignores the damage that's done when he dithers, gives the ball away, is a snail in tracking back, and lacks pace/power.

Lies, lies and stats.

Farewell Gary, but thanks for being a star in the 2 League One campaigns.

Trigger

Jul 4, 2003
Brighton
Dicker/Painter don't look fit and ready to me so why is Poyet putting them in?... If, however they are fit and that's the best we are going to get from them then there's trouble ahead.

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
Painter is well out of his depth- that's obvious.
Dicker is nowhere near being match-fit- not really sure why Poyet is starting him. He could be a decent squad player for us next season, but certainly won't be a key member.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I haven't read the thread as I know it will annoy me but you don't go from being a league champion to shite imo

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.
I am not sure this is fair. He has been thrown in at the deep end, and not had a proper chance to come back from injury. If he had been given a fair chance to regain full match fitness, then we could judge him.

leigull

Sep 26, 2010
I think that people are forgetting that both Dicker and Painter were poor at the start of the season before they became injured and both were even then receiving a fair amount of stick from fans.

Totally agree.

Painter was the weakest link in the defense before his injury this season. Just remember how easy it was for wingers to beat him and get crosses in every week.

Dicker was no better and while it has been a big ask to come straight in and play 4 games in quick succession, he hasn't really shown any signs to suggest he should be kept on and is worth a place in the side to me.

Definitely be moving them both on this summer whilst wishing them well and thanking them for being part of that amazing team last year.

I am not sure this is fair. He has been thrown in at the deep end, and not had a proper chance to come back from injury. If he had been given a fair chance to regain full match fitness, then we could judge him.

See above, he was rubbish before his injury too

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
The problem with this whole issue is Gary Dicker's game:

Look, turn, look, pass.

The words 'run', 'tackle' and 'shoot' are not in his game, that's not what he's about. That doesn't necessarily matter, because when he's on one, he is QUALITY. But with the faster pace of the Championship, he's always struggled to cope with that 2 seconds less he has on the ball. The margin for error is so much lower, you cannot misplace a few passes or get caught on the ball in this division and expect to get away with it.

In my opinion, match fit or not, he's never had the fitness, strength or dribbling ability or speed to really cut it in this league. He's highlighted for me just how far we've come as a whole team. We've left him in League 1 where he was superb.

I really wish him all the best because you can see how much he wants it, but I think he'll be on his way in the summer.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I would think that Gary Dicker falls into the category that Gus says he has given the Div 1 winning team the chance to step up and will be joined by a number of others from that team in leaving during the summer but will get snapped up by another Div 1 side very quickly.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I don't care what or how he broke his leg, clearly he's not match fit and shouldn't be playing 90 mins, doesn't tackle, head or get stuck in like any midfielder should but still Gus's bum chum gets into the team week on week. He gets the ball and passes it 4 yards everytime if he's lucky to get anywhere with it. Strange how we performed better on the months he wasn't playing.

I respect your right to prefer certain players to others, but seriously. Are you fifteen years old? Grow up.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I like Dicker but he had a shocker tonight, other than the unbelievably flair midair backheel 1-2, all he did was lose it.

Apart from setting up the goal that got us back into the game, with a perfectly weighted ball, threaded through behind the full back. Does that not count?

Harold

Jul 7, 2003
Hastings
The problem with this whole issue is Gary Dicker's game:

Look, turn, look, pass.

The words 'run', 'tackle' and 'shoot' are not in his game, that's not what he's about. That doesn't necessarily matter, because when he's on one, he is QUALITY. But with the faster pace of the Championship, he's always struggled to cope with that 2 seconds less he has on the ball. The margin for error is so much lower, you cannot misplace a few passes or get caught on the ball in this division and expect to get away with it.

In my opinion, match fit or not, he's never had the fitness, strength or dribbling ability or speed to really cut it in this league. He's highlighted for me just how far we've come as a whole team. We've left him in League 1 where he was superb.

I really wish him all the best because you can see how much he wants it, but I think he'll be on his way in the summer.

Spot on mate.

DT Withdean

Mar 5, 2011
I rate him as a footballer, His mind is way sharper than his body though sadly.

Same for Painter.
Unluckily for them in modern football, especially in the top 2 divisions, pace is important unless you are very special like Vicente.

Thanks to the both of them for their service to the Club, and the amazing 2010/11 miracle, and good luck to them in League One or Two.

Has nowt to do with match fitness; both became a liability at the very end of last season & in several games at the start of this season.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here