Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gareth Thomas "comes out"

Fef

Rock God.
Feb 21, 2009
Have you heard about the Welsh rugby player Gareth Thomas? Just as well he left it until now:

"And the ball comes out of the scrum, Jones passes to Williams, Williams passes to Gareth Thomas, and Gareth..err..makes a pass at Gavin Henson - oh dear.":safeway2:

Pathetic.

Nov 7, 2009
I can't wait till I get to work as our Foreman is a keen Rugby player and calls football 'Fagball' as players fall over so easily and is played by gays.

What was you saying Neil?! Fagball? I'll not be bending over in front of you again, Batty Boy!! :laugh:

black & white seagull

Aug 29, 2003
Brighton
I can't wait till I get to work as our Foreman is a keen Rugby player and calls football 'Fagball' as players fall over so easily and is played by gays.

What was you saying Neil?! Fagball? I'll not be bending over in front of you again, Batty Boy!! :laugh:

Hilarious.

I don't think it's that odd. Having the Daily Mail break the story is also a good way of protecting the player from the usual underhand slights and innuendo that the paper is well-known for.

Which is exactly what I thought when I saw the story. Presumably the Mail were planning one of their snide outings, and offered him the chance to lead on a sympathetic "exclusive" instead.

Oct 25, 2003
law of averages would suggest that there are plenty of gay sportsmen

it's a shame that only a few have felt able to come out and be themselves

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
law of averages would suggest that there are plenty of gay sportsmen

it's a shame that only a few have felt able to come out and be themselves

According to Nigel Owens (openly gay international rugby referee), there are a number of Premier League (soccerball) players that he knows of, who are gay. It is a shame that people feel they have to hide their sexuality in order to progress in sport. As long that they are good enough to be in the team, I couldn't care less if they are gay or straight.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
This has been common knowledge for a while in Wales. There are also two other gay Welsh internationals.

Gerbil

Nsc's most loved
Jul 6, 2003
Stalking Hayley
You gotta respect the fella.
It must take guts to come out, fair play.

Last edited:

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast
As he says, he statistically can't be the only international rugby player to be gay.

Good on him.

No indeed, I think even an "All Black" came out a few years ago, I think his name was Murray Mexted. He even had a glam wife as cover beforehand.

My beef isn't about the gay lifestyle, it's about the way that rugby has often been portrayed as a "manly" game especially in NZ and SA, whereas football was a "girly" game. I do think however with the element of contact prevalent in rugby it does give the temptation to those stimulated by the near presence of a male body to take advantage of it.

And if Thomas is "Gay and proud" then why has he left it until now?

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast

Exactly, rugby was designed as a game at an all-male boarding school, probably to direct any "tendencies" into a "healthy" outlet IMHO.

And I went to a rugby-playing school for 7 years.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
My beef isn't about the gay lifestyle, it's about the way that rugby has often been portrayed as a "manly" game especially in NZ and SA, whereas football was a "girly" game. I do think however with the element of contact prevalent in rugby it does give the temptation to those stimulated by the near presence of a male body to take advantage of it.

I don't even know where to begin with that post. Oh dear.

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast
Pathetic.

Are you one then, or just a camp follower? I don't despise open homosexuals, only all those who pretend it doesn't offend them, until they get it thrust in their face.

And they often seem to have lesbian wives or girlfriends.....:rolleyes:

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast
I don't even know where to begin with that post. Oh dear.

How about answering it, oh dearie? Like why since Thomas was gay all along he didn't feel inclined to play for Wales as a gay icon?

The obvious answer is that he didn't want to be rugby's equivalent of Justin Fashanu. By the way did BHAFC know Fash was gay when he played?

Answers please, not evasions.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
No indeed, I think even an "All Black" came out a few years ago, I think his name was Murray Mexted. He even had a glam wife as cover beforehand.

Literally one of the worst posts I've ever read, I presume its joke?

And to awnser your last question, if you don't understand any of the reasons he may not have 'come out' before then you ought to think about that.

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
By the way did BHAFC know Fash was gay when he played?

Answers please, not evasions.

I guess so, it was rumoured at Forest, a read about an exchange he had with Brian Clough in Lee Chapman's book.

BC "Where do you go if you want to buy some brussel sprouts son?"
JF "The greengrocers boss."
BC "Where do you go if you want to buy a leg of lamb?"
JF "The butchers boss."
BC "So why do you keep going to that bloody gay club then!"

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern

Murray Mexted does have a glam wife but I've never heard of him coming out as a gay.

He was a great player though.

Durlston

"You plonker, Rodney!"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
I guess so, it was rumoured at Forest, a read about an exchange he had with Brian Clough in Lee Chapman's book.

BC "Where do you go if you want to buy some brussel sprouts son?"
JF "The greengrocers boss."
BC "Where do you go if you want to buy a leg of lamb?"
JF "The butchers boss."
BC "So why do you keep going to that bloody gay club then!"

I've got Brian Clough's autobiography.Maybe if Cloughy had faced up to his own difficulties with alcoholism he might still be alive today instead of being such a bigoted twat.He said signing Justin Fashanu was the biggest mistake of his managerial career.Tragically Fashanu committed suicide in 1998.:(

Very brave of Gareth Thomas to come out.It's going to be a big deal to some people because they're insecure about their own sexuality.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here