Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gannon says NO

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
To be precise, Gannon has not talked to any other club about being their manager. Other approaches had been made, but none were accepted by the club. The Albion are the first club he has spoken to in any formal way at all.

Which doesn't go anyway to prove your point.

In actual fact, "the none were accepted by the club" doesn't ring true. If will be a case of not being accepted by Gannon.

He has a clause in his contract (confirmed by himself) that he is allowed to talk to other clubs.

Certain things have come to a head at Stockport over the last few months and he was probably in two minds about leaving.

But I stand by point that it wasn't anything to do with us.

He rumoured to be on a very very good wage up there as well.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Indeed. His wife is from Stockport. He played 400 games for them. He's a Stockport man through and through.

He's also put himself firmly in the shop window by so publicly agreeing to come down and see us. He's a clever fellow and I'd have been happy to have him as manager.

Indeed, maybe we have been used to alert "better" clubs of his availabilty when the inevitable crop of sackings come up in the Championship and far more desirable jobs than the Albion are up for grabs. I can't see him staying at Stockport much longer however much he loves them. Be interesting to see if he gets approached by the next northern based Championship club who sack a manager.

foul old ron

I'll decide, thank you.
Feb 26, 2009
Round the back, by the bins.
I heard that Gannon wouldn't come because his wife doesn't want to live down here. Slade now top of Knights list.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I heard that Gannon wouldn't come because his wife doesn't want to live down here. Slade now top of Knights list.

Weak, if she holds that much sway over him wouldn't he have discussed this with her before agreeing to an interview?

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
On Blackpools approach....

Stockport County's Chief Executive Mark Maguire has today said that the club won't stand in manager Jim Gannon's way if he wants to join Blackpool.

Speaking to the Manchester Evening News Maguire said 'Jim has an incredible record as a manager and I have spoken to Jim and made it clear that if he wants to further himself we will understand.'

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I wouldn't say Knight has made any big gaffes on this one as Stockport leaked it, although I always imagine clubs agree what they are going to say, when, and to who over this sort of thing.

It's not great that someone like Boothroyd sees he was not first choice though, the guy was managing in the Prem only a couple of years ago and while a good manager has an ego the size of Hertfordshire.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
Thanks for that lucid contribution. Actually Dowie would be good and must be considered. He is not a hoof it merchant. He is intelligent, a good motivator of players and has has modern, progressive ideas about the way the game should be played.

He's not that good is he? He had a great second half of a season that got palace promoted(Johnsons30+goals that season might have helped too...). He then got relegated. He managed to set charlton on their path to relegation in the short time he spent there and did f-all at coventry. He's not high up on my list of wanted managers.

Behind Enemy Lines

Jul 18, 2003
London
He's not that good is he? He had a great second half of a season that got palace promoted(Johnsons30+goals that season might have helped too...). He then got relegated. He managed to set charlton on their path to relegation in the short time he spent there and did f-all at coventry. He's not high up on my list of wanted managers.

At Oldham and Palace he did a good job and remember Palace were just minutes away from staying up. Of course Charlton and Cov were less successful and he was sacked very early at QPR during their take over so I think you have to strike that one. So yes, his record is mixed but anyone who comes to the Albion is likely to have had some failures as well as successes. Even Coppell had. But there's no doubt he's a bright man who would get the best out of the players, shake up the training and encourage us to pass the ball. And I think he'd keep us up. Isn't that what we want? Any appointment is a gamble but we know Dowie is clever and has at times, been inspirational. We could do a lot worse than him.

Behind Enemy Lines

Jul 18, 2003
London
I wouldn't say Knight has made any big gaffes on this one as Stockport leaked it, although I always imagine clubs agree what they are going to say, when, and to who over this sort of thing.

It's not great that someone like Boothroyd sees he was not first choice though, the guy was managing in the Prem only a couple of years ago and while a good manager has an ego the size of Hertfordshire.
Tooting - who do you want as manager?

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Stockport County's Chief Executive Mark Maguire has today said that the club won't stand in manager Jim Gannon's way if he wants to join Blackpool.

Speaking to the Manchester Evening News Maguire said 'Jim has an incredible record as a manager and I have spoken to Jim and made it clear that if he wants to further himself we will understand.'

Stockport's board are DESPERATE to offload his salary

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
maybe the 12 managers in 11 years has come home to bite us on the bum?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here