Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gannon says NO

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
The fact that Gannon turned us down doesn't mean the club are unprofessional, it doesn't mean we haven't offered him enough money, it doesn't mean Dick Knight hasn't got a clue. Sometimes a job's not right for you and/or your family, and that's more important.

I'm bored with people who have absolutely no insight into this matter spouting crap about what the Albion are or are not doing right. We all know about as much as each other, so let's just wait and see what transpires.

Spot on. Gannon is very northern-based and obviously has great affection for Stockport so - given our current situation in terms of the league and also stadium - it's not really a great option. I'm sure he thinks he'll get a better offer at some point (Championship possibly). And if things don't work out at the new club at a higher level, he'll still be able to get another job in the lower divisions. Whereas if you can't make it happen at League One strugglers Brighton, bang goes a promising career.

As for Dick Knight making it clear he was the number one choice, does it really make a big difference? Everyone knew by then that Gannon had been offered the job, and was mulling it over so - by definition - he was the first choice. I don't think any manager worth his salt will be bothered about that - they'll just be happy to get the job.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Funny thing is from a personal point of view I have been offered jobs before and turned them down, not necessarily because they wasnt offering the money or whatever, but in hindsight it wasnt the right move at the right time for me, hence I turned them down.

It happens KIDS.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
I would'nt be surprised to see a twist in this Gannon saga and find he's our manager by Saturday, It's based on absolutely no fact at all just gut feeling.

I don't buy that.

It does not mean the next person can equally be the 'one for us'.

If someone's self-esteem is so low that they feel crushed to the point of refusing a job on the back that statement, then they are certainly 'not one for us'.

Has no-one on here been offered a job and not taken it because they were not strictly first choice?

I agree with all of that. But DK's handling was still poor. Anyway, enough from me on this I'm boring myself.

Miami Seagull

Grandad
Jul 12, 2003
Miami Florida, USA
Funny thing is from a personal point of view I have been offered jobs before and turned them down, not necessarily because they wasnt offering the money or whatever, but in hindsight it wasnt the right move at the right time for me, hence I turned them down.

It happens KIDS.

Of course it happens but all of the apologists on here are forgetting a number of things that led up to this, including when Gannon publically stated that his position had become untenable at Stockport. So from that point to the meetings and discussions with Knight he had the U turn. I don't believe the family reason, I am sure this would have been discussed in advance. What has clearly happened here is that he didn't like (a) the terms, (b) the ambition, or (c) the available funds for team building. I doubt its (b) due to Falmer (we hope) but its clear that he wouldn't want to go from one job where his arms are tied, to another.

All very, very disappointing and badly handled by DK once the interest became public.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Of course it happens but all of the apologists on here are forgetting a number of things that led up to this, including when Gannon publically stated that his position had become untenable at Stockport. So from that point to the meetings and discussions with Knight he had the U turn. I don't believe the family reason, I am sure this would have been discussed in advance. What has clearly happened here is that he didn't like (a) the terms, (b) the ambition, or (c) the available funds for team building. I doubt its (b) due to Falmer (we hope) but its clear that he wouldn't want to go from one job where his arms are tied, to another.

All very, very disappointing and badly handled by DK once the interest became public.

Gannons been saying that for a while, but he wasn't just about to leave at all.

"untenable for a long while" was the phrase, but during this time he has turned down other clubs as well.

Stockport are in a lot of trouble and the manager has been talking about the position very very frankly to the press, long before we got involved.

He's very very loyal to Stockport, and obviously as he's mentioned it a few times over the last few days, his family are very settled in the area.

If you want the truth of the situation, I suspect he saw this time as a final ultimatum to the Stockport owners to get their arses in gear.

If you do a little bit of research into what's been going on in Stockport over the last year you'll see his refusal to come down here is no bad reflection on the Albion at all.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
Some of the posts on here make me laugh- what do you all do for a living?

Probably a few students, McDonalds employees and Carphone Warehouse sales staff, yet you think that somehow qualifies you to cast judgement on how Dick Knight is handling the situation??

Maybe they thought it was important to show Gannon he was wanted and valued. Once Stockport had made it public that we had approached them, it wouldn't have done much for the bloke if we'd said "well he's just another number to us".

The fact that Gannon turned us down doesn't mean the club are unprofessional, it doesn't mean we haven't offered him enough money, it doesn't mean Dick Knight hasn't got a clue. Sometimes a job's not right for you and/or your family, and that's more important. There's no point in rushing into appointing the first available candidate either- personally I'd prefer to wait a few days if it meant we got someone really worth having.

I'm bored with people who have absolutely no insight into this matter spouting crap about what the Albion are or are not doing right. We all know about as much as each other, so let's just wait and see what transpires.

Couldn't agree more.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset

"untenable for a long while" was the phrase, but during this time he has turned down other clubs as well.

Stockport are in a lot of trouble and the manager has been talking about the position very very frankly to the press, long before we got involved.

He's very very loyal to Stockport, and obviously as he's mentioned it a few times over the last few days, his family are very settled in the area.

If you want the truth of the situation, I suspect he saw this time as a final ultimatum to the Stockport owners to get their arses in gear.

If you do a little bit of research into what's been going on in Stockport over the last year you'll see his refusal to come down here is no bad reflection on the Albion at all.

Indeed. His wife is from Stockport. He played 400 games for them. He's a Stockport man through and through.

He's also put himself firmly in the shop window by so publicly agreeing to come down and see us. He's a clever fellow and I'd have been happy to have him as manager.

Miami Seagull

Grandad
Jul 12, 2003
Miami Florida, USA

To be precise, Gannon has not talked to any other club about being their manager. Other approaches had been made, but none were accepted by the club. The Albion are the first club he has spoken to in any formal way at all.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
As for Dick Knight making it clear he was the number one choice, does it really make a big difference? Everyone knew by then that Gannon had been offered the job, and was mulling it over so - by definition - he was the first choice. I don't think any manager worth his salt will be bothered about that - they'll just be happy to get the job.

It's a bad sign if you can make the sort of gaff that the FA are capable of, but to do it after the FA, so after you should have learnt from their mistake, then that is even worse.

How would you feel as todays candidate that it's public knowledge you'd already nominated someone else as your 1st choice even before they'd met you? If todays guy is expecting to get other job offers, I'd be telling DK where to stick it. If he's not expecting other job offers, then would we actually want him.

For a guy who made his money in PR, DK doesn't always seem very good at it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here