Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gannon says NO

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Was that a failure as such, I thought he felt "obliged" to quit quite early on? Not great on his cv but he didn't f*** up there ( that could be a bad choice of phrase)

well....he is known to frequent the far east during the summer months, so perhaps..........

:lolol::lolol::lolol::lolol:

JEAN TIGANAS BLUE AND WHITE ARMY

Behind Enemy Lines

Jul 18, 2003
London
Was that a failure as such, I thought he felt "obliged" to quit quite early on? Not great on his cv but he didn't f*** up there ( that could be a bad choice of phrase)

At Man City it was said he couldn't handle "the pressure" and resigned. Maybe this is harsh as he was only there a short time. At Palace he fell out with Jordan, not a faillure in my book.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Which doesn't go anyway to prove your point.

In actual fact, "the none were accepted by the club" doesn't ring true. If will be a case of not being accepted by Gannon.

He has a clause in his contract (confirmed by himself) that he is allowed to talk to other clubs.

Certain things have come to a head at Stockport over the last few months and he was probably in two minds about leaving.

But I stand by point that it wasn't anything to do with us.

He rumoured to be on a very very good wage up there as well.

Absolutely. Maybe because things have got worst at Stockport since or maybe because he was impressed with us, we are the first club he has decided to talk to as he has turned others down. The fact that we can even get a manager to talk to us when his team are eighth in our league and we are bottom four shows both the problems Stockport have and the ambition the board have for us with Falmer ahead.

For what it's worth I think it probably was down to family and if we were based in the north west he may well have come. Moving your whole family to the other side of the country (especially when your wife is from the area) is a huge step and people forget that with football managers. Most people wouldn't move their whole family from Stockport to Brighton for a new job.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
maybe he wasn't impressed with us....maybe he thought it over and decided that actually this is not the Utopia we all like to believe it is.

maybe he didnt like Dick

maybe he didnt like the board

maybe he just didnt want to come here?

Philcounty

Feb 25, 2009
Congleton
Stockport County's Chief Executive Mark Maguire has today said that the club won't stand in manager Jim Gannon's way if he wants to join Blackpool.

Speaking to the Manchester Evening News Maguire said 'Jim has an incredible record as a manager and I have spoken to Jim and made it clear that if he wants to further himself we will understand.'

Stockport's board are DESPERATE to offload his salary

Just to let you know, this news is a few months old. Jim turned Blackpool down. Mark Maguire resigned about a month ago so that gives you some idea of the date of this article.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Tooting - who do you want as manager?

If there is a chance of us getting Boothroyd, I'd say go and get him. I think he'd keep us up, soon get rid of a lot of deadwood, and we'd be hoofing our way up the table next season, and on to to the Championship at some point in the next two or three seasons. Needs must on the style, and we need someone who can turn all the players' negativity on Withdean into a positive, sort of 'they hate coming here as well' type of thing.

A couple of years ago the idea of Boothroyd managing Brighton would have seemed impossible. I'm still a bit surprised he's gone for it, must see the potential which is clearly a good thing.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Just to let you know, this news is a few months old. Jim turned Blackpool down. Mark Maguire resigned about a month ago so that gives you some idea of the date of this article.

I know, I was using it as an example of how other clubs have tried to poach him and he had turned them down.

So - there is nothing unique about Brighton in that respect.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
If there is a chance of us getting Boothroyd, I'd say go and get him. I think he'd keep us up, soon get rid of a lot of deadwood, and we'd be hoofing our way up the table next season, and on to to the Championship at some point in the next two or three seasons. Needs must on the style, and we need someone who can turn all the players' negativity on Withdean into a positive, sort of 'they hate coming here as well' type of thing.

A couple of years ago the idea of Boothroyd managing Brighton would have seemed impossible. I'm still a bit surprised he's gone for it, must see the potential which is clearly a good thing.

You are right of course. I think the problem is that me and, judging by NSC today, a lot of other fans were sold by Gannon and were looking forward to beautiful football and a really exciting young manager. This was Boothroyd a couple of years ago and at a higher level. He struggled at Watford towards the end but hopefully time away from football and a move to another team might reinvigorate him. I would far prefer him to Russell Slade (not that I wouldn't support Slade if he was appointed.

Philcounty

Feb 25, 2009
Congleton
I know, I was using it as an example of how other clubs have tried to poach him and he had turned them down.

So - there is nothing unique about Brighton in that respect.

Fair enough. I wish you all luck with your search for a new manager, for obvious reasons I've been looking in on NSC quite a bit over the last few days and you seem like a nice bunch (with the odd exception, but we have our fair share of idiots on our messageboard too).

Good luck for the rest of the season, except the last game :)

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I think a lot of this is now a cock up in timing!!

The board jumped in sacking Adams with the hope, I would have thought that they would get someone in fairly quickly to arrest our horrendous season.

Now with the final knockings of this season, and with a vital game against Crewe, who are on a bit of a run, due to someone DK pinned all his hope on not coming, we are in a situation that we are going in for "second best"

I just hope that the project management of Falmer is organised a lot better than this shower who run the club or we are in serious do doos.

Dorset Seagull

Once Dolphin, Now Seagull
Thanks for that lucid contribution. Actually Dowie would be good and must be considered. He is not a hoof it merchant. He is intelligent, a good motivator of players and has has modern, progressive ideas about the way the game should be played.

So why whenever I see him on Sky does he talk absolute shite and appears unable to properly analyse what is happening in a game

Miami Seagull

Grandad
Jul 12, 2003
Miami Florida, USA
Which doesn't go anyway to prove your point.

In actual fact, "the none were accepted by the club" doesn't ring true. If will be a case of not being accepted by Gannon.

He has a clause in his contract (confirmed by himself) that he is allowed to talk to other clubs.

Certain things have come to a head at Stockport over the last few months and he was probably in two minds about leaving.

But I stand by point that it wasn't anything to do with us.

He rumoured to be on a very very good wage up there as well.

I'm not trying to prove a point. All I'm saying is that his mind was changed after talking to DK in detail and also that we're the first club he has formally spoken too. Stockport would have to formally give him permission to talk to other clubs (an FA rule) whatever is in his contract and he made it clear the other day that we were the first club he has spoken to formally. We can take opposing views as to where this has broken down, but neither knows for sure. Your point that he was on a very very good wage up there may add weight to the fact that terms being offered here were not acceptable to him.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I would think that like in most jobs and in any industry people within it talk to each other and as such reputations and gossip travel. Perhaps after what has happened in the last 10 years regarding managers DK is not held with the high esteem that he thinks by other managers and tittle tattle prevails.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
I would think that like in most jobs and in any industry people within it talk to each other and as such reputations and gossip travel. Perhaps after what has happened in the last 10 years regarding managers DK is not held with the high esteem that he thinks by other managers and tittle tattle prevails.

Probably heard about the incentives Dick has offered different people and though a tank of petrol was taking the piss....

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here