Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

G.O.S.B.T.S. Who Started It's Demise?

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
I seem to remember "You can tell them all that we play football at Sussex by the sea. Good old Sussex by the sea etc." being sung. Did this happen or is it my imagination?

I too remember these lyrics.
You must be an old bugger like me!

7oaksgull

Jan 3, 2010
Sevenoaks, Kent
Great thread JS, agree with a lot that's been written here. My preference would be:

The words printed everytime in the programme and also on the big screens once we get to Falmer.
A new version (suitably slow) to be recorded to be played on the tannoy.
The music to fade out ala 'Bubbles' style.
Agreement on what words we are actually going to sing. Suggest only one verse;

"We're the team from Sussex
Sussex by the sea
Eeee-leven players and a crowd
Who roar them to victory
So shout you fans and make them score
Clap your hands in time with me (replacing: until they're score)
Oh we're going up, and we'll win the cup
For Sussex by the Sea."

followed by "All together now, GOSBTS, GOSBTS, Oh We're going up and we'll win the cup for Sussex by the sea."

house your seagull

Train à Grande Vitesse
Jul 7, 2004
Manchester
ahem, we actually produced hand outs with the lyrics to GOSBTS at the Shrewsbury Mickey Mouse away game last season.

We printed about 200 and distributed them as best we could. I still have one of the originals at home.

About 15 people sung along out of 1500.

The club caught up in May and printed them on the clapper boards, but we really did try and re-introduce the full version at the New Meadow last year.

7oaksgull

Jan 3, 2010
Sevenoaks, Kent
What lyrics where we trying to get poeple to sing? The original soldier marching song? I don't think anyone is going to sing along with that...

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
Again:

What's the point in trying to get people to sing the whole sing? It WON'T happen! It's far too long!!

Just get them to slow it down, like it used to be sung, and still is at the cricket.

Easy.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
'Going up TO win the cup' merely refers to a physical journey in 1983 to London to win the FA Cup. It means f*** all now and I cannot believe so many dullards and cretins in our fanbase still sing it.

:wrong: Historically incorrect , this version was being sung in the North Stand at the Goldstone back in the early 1970's and probably for years before that. Its feasible according to your age and where you stood on the terraces at the Goldstone that you sing one of the three versions of the GOSBTS chorus.

7oaksgull

Jan 3, 2010
Sevenoaks, Kent
If people sing words to the verse rather than "Der der der der der" etc then it will automatically be slower for starters....Also I don't expect everyone to sing the verse first time out. But by playing a new version with the words printed everytime we play at home then eventually it should catch on the same as other athems have...

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
Again:

What's the point in trying to get people to sing the whole sing? It WON'T happen! It's far too long!!

Just get them to slow it down, like it used to be sung, and still is at the cricket.

Easy.

This is exactly the aim, to sing the bit we do sing, low, with passion and most importantly, slowly.
No one will or wants to sing the whole thing.
This is the point I will try to get across in the forthcoming article which I'm assured will appear in an iminent match programme.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
:wrong: Historically incorrect , this version was being sung in the North Stand at the Goldstone back in the early 1970's and probably for years before that. Its feasible according to your age and where you stood on the terraces at the Goldstone that you sing one of the three versions of the GOSBTS chorus.
Wrong. Wrong, wrong, wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong. "Going up to win the cup" was NEVER sung prior to 1983. Ever. How could it be? The other versions such as 'you can tell them all that we play football" I remember hearing, but in the North Stand we always sang "... going up and we'll win the cup."

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Wrong. Wrong, wrong, wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong. "Going up to win the cup" was NEVER sung prior to 1983. Ever. How could it be? The other versions such as 'you can tell them all that we play football" I remember hearing, but in the North Stand we always sang "... going up and we'll win the cup."

"Cos we're going up to win the cup for Sussex by the sea" was aspirational just like when we sang "We're gonna win the league , we're gonna the league and now you're gonna believe us and now you're gonna believe us" although we were only in 6th place.

I remember hearing 'going up to win the cup' during my first season at the Albion (1978) but if you say, i'm wrong, well, I'm not gonna argue, i'll just go and finish my sausage casserole

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
I remember hearing 'going up to win the cup' during my first season at the Albion (1978) but if you say, i'm wrong, well, I'm not gonna argue, i'll just go and finish my sausage casserole

Well , thats 2 of us with false memory syndrome then. :lolol:

Gilliver's Travels

Peripatetic
Jul 5, 2003
Brighton Marina Village
No, back then we had limitless ambition, probably as a direct result of too much of that California dreamin'. So our declared aim was definitely to be "Going up AND we'll win the Cup". Not the League Cup, mind, nor the European Fairs Cup, and definitely NOT the Texaco Cup.

Winning the FA Cup was deemed achievable back then, with the European Cup well within in our grasp.

Nowadays, we strive for the Sussex Senior Cup... How times change. :shootself

Mendoza

NSC's Most Stalked
Lets do this man proud!!
Mr.%20W.%20Ward-Higgs.jpg

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
This is what I'm about to submit for a forthcoming Albion programme.

Good Old Sussex By The Sea. S-l-o-w I-t D-o-w-n!

Most football clubs have an anthem, solely theirs, which supporters learn in their watching infancy in order to swell the throng helping to get their team “in to the zone” just before kick-off as the players enter the arena.
The most famous being “You’ll Never Walk Alone”, Liverpool’s classic which the Kop belts out, initially to the song played over the P.A, then the music stops and the crowd carry on unaccompanied with the chorus. You can’t help being moved, even if you hate the Scouse gits, because of the way they sing it. Everyone in the stadium singing their hearts out. Why does this rendition create such emotion to those singing or just watching on the tele? Simple. It’s the way it’s sung. Low, with passion and slow. Along with the display of scarves held aloft and a bit of gentle swaying it makes you think. Why can’t we do something like that? Don’t you wish we had a similar anthem to make the hairs on the back of your neck stand up when it’s sung?
This may come as a surprise to some, especially to our younger supporters, but we too have an iconic and unique song which typifies the spirit of The Albion, “Good Old Sussex By The Sea”.

This song, first published in 1907 by William Ward-Higgs has become synonymous with Sussex sport. “You’ll Never Walk Alone” is a young whipper-snapper by comparison, at only forty years old.
Unfortunately, currently, when sung, it doesn’t have that “religious” factor which “You’ll Never Walk Alone” oozes.
In the mid ‘60s when I attended my first match at the Goldstone, and those of similar vintage would join me in telling you that G.O.S.B.T.S. sung by the North Stand in full voice easily rivalled anything the Kop had to offer for quality and impact. It was sung low, slow, and with passion. Oh how I wish we could regenerate the way it was sung then.
Over the last couple of decades, the singing of our sacred hymn has for some strange reason, sped up to such a degree that any on listener would never be able to work out it’s about. Something about sausages perhaps?
Perhaps Attila is in some way inadvertently to blame? Perhaps some people think the speed of the ska version defines the tone? This was in fact just a novelty version.

It’s downright embarrassingly painful to hear it sung now. I don’t bother singing it any more. I just can’t keep up with those gibbons on helium that ruin it. Can you imagine the Kop singing “You’ll Never Walk Alone” as fast as possible, missing out half the words, and seeing who can finish it first?
It doesn’t bear thinking about.

After I posted on North Stand Chat asking for opinions on whether other people felt the same, that G.O.S.B.T.S had been hijacked and destroyed, there was a 100% response in agreement that we need to do something collectively to “get it back to normal”.

One reply from NSC’s “Gilliver’s Travels”, (Aka John Cowen, who will be bringing out a book soon dedicated to G.O.S.B.T.S), puts it all very eloquently. I quote;

“The most atmospheric singing of Sussex by the Sea I've ever heard was by the old soldiers of the Royal Sussex Regiment at their 2007 annual reunion, at Lewes Town Hall. This was the year of the SBTS centenary, and to hear the veterans and their guests sing all five verses as they did, and accompanied by a real brass band, was simply a revelation.

The music was played at its proper, marching pace; the old soldiers gave it their all, deafeningly and with enormous pride and emotion. Not surprising, given their connection to the lads in the WW1 trenches who sang it before going over the top and, in far too many cases, dying for their country, and their county. There were at least three encores later on, called for by the veterans themselves, and the song just lit up whole evening.

That experience soon put all those pitiful, speed-shouting Withdean renditions into their true perspective. We simply have to do so much better to rightfully reclaim our song by the time we get Falmer.”

So, what can we do?
No one’s suggesting singing all 5 verses, any more than Liverpool would sing all the verses of “You’ll Never Walk Alone”, but the portion we do sing, should be sung ina Kop stylee.
There’s no secret. It really is very simple.

Sing low, sing with passion, and sing slow.

Oh we’re going up and we’ll win the cup,
For Sussex, by the sea.
Altogether now;
Good old Sussex by the sea.
Good old Sussex by the sea.
Oh we’re going up and we’ll win the cup,
For Sussex, by the sea.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here