Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

G.O.S.B.T.S. Who Started It's Demise?

Dandyman

In London village.
Full lyrics have been passed around before at one of our key away games, I think, but...

Now is the time for marching
Now let your hearts be gay
Hark to the merry bugles
Sounding along our way
So let your voices ring, my boys,
And take the time from me
And I'll sing you a song, as we march along,
Of Sussex by the Sea.

For we're the men from Sussex
Sussex by the sea,
We plough and sow and reap and mow,
And useful men we are we:
And when you go from Sussex,
Whoever you may be,
You tell them all that we stand or fall
For Sussex by the sea.

Oh, Sussex, Sussex by the sea
Good old Sussex by the Sea
You may tell them all that we stand or fall
For Sussex by the sea.

Light is the love of a soldier
That's what the ladies say
Lightly he goes a-wooing
Lightly he rides away,
In love and war, we always are
As fair as fair can be,
And a soldier boy is the ladies joy
In Sussex by the sea.

For Sussex by the sea.

Far o'er the seas we wander
Wide through the world we roam,
Far from the kind hearts yonder
Far from our dear old home,
But never shall we forget my boys
And true we'll ever be
To the girls so kind that we left behind
In Sussex by the sea.

For Sussex by the sea.

"Going up to win the cup" can of course be substituted although we will then have 20 pages of people saying it should be "we're going up and we'll win the cup"...

theonesmith

Oct 27, 2008
Well where did the version that is belted out over the tannoy originate from? I, being a younger member of this forum, know only this version! And it is shit- perhaps slightly less irritating than that bloody falmer song.

Who cares about the lyrics? If West Ham fans can make "I'm forever blowing bubbles" sound masculine and menacing, then why can't we do the same with our song?

And the youngsters must not take all the blame for this- there are some people in Withdean who look and sound like they should be/are in a morgue!

sixnilup

Jul 24, 2007
There should be a small section in every BHA match day program with the full lyrics printed as standard. After a while all (most) the home fans will get to know the words, then we can proudly use it as our anthem. Any takers?

Good thread JS.:)

theonesmith

Oct 27, 2008
There should be a small section in every BHA match day program with the full lyrics printed as standard. After a while all (most) the home fans will get to know the words, then we can proudly use it as our anthem. Any takers?

Good thread JS.:)

Agreed. But we also need...

A) People willing to sing
B) A decent backing to sing to!

To be honest, I don't think it's possible to bring it back at Withdean. I don't believe the volume can go louder due to being in a residential area and there's no atmosphere there anyway. The kids will only join in if they feel a part of something, a part of the mass. It's not the songs at Anfield or Upton Park (although they do contribute), it's the spinetingling feeling you get from a large group of people united in love for their club through one song.

You cannot get this at Withdean!

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
....Who cares about the lyrics? If West Ham fans can make "I'm forever blowing bubbles" sound masculine and menacing, then why can't we do the same with our song?

And the youngsters must not take all the blame for this- there are some people in Withdean who look and sound like they should be/are in a morgue!
Very true. Also at Upton Park they play the first bit over the PA to get everyone in time/tune, then it drops out at the "Fortune's always hiding" bit and the fans carry on on their own. Quite impressive it is too.

Was not Was

Loitering with intent
Jul 31, 2003
We might be getting carried away here with the old 'community singing' thing.

The main point is - it's more effective if sung slowly, even if we're only talking about the 'going up to win the cup / all together now' version.

Much easier to achieve than printing lyrics and convincing young people so sing the word 'gay', surely?

If you want to try to get it done more slowly, then I suggest:

join in loud and slow with the 'and we're going up .... etc' line at the end of the 'ner ner ner' nonsense. People will start to notice ...

WnW

Well where did the version that is belted out over the tannoy originate from? I, being a younger member of this forum, know only this version! And it is shit- perhaps slightly less irritating than that bloody falmer song.
It's from the LEGENDARY Seagulls Ska recording that got to number 17 in the UK singles chart on 9 January 2005.

Seagulls Ska on MySpace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Videos

A great publicity stunt for the Falmer campaign. But never a lesson in quality choral singing.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
We might be getting carried away here with the old 'community singing' thing.

The main point is - it's more effective if sung slowly, even if we're only talking about the 'going up to win the cup / all together now' version.

Much easier to achieve than printing lyrics and convincing young people so sing the word 'gay', surely?

If you want to try to get it done more slowly, then I suggest:

join in loud and slow with the 'and we're going up .... etc' line at the end of the 'ner ner ner' nonsense. People will start to notice ...

WnW
....didn't we used to start the song like this? I'm sure it used to be:

....and we're going up to win the cup for Sussex by the sea,
All together now,
Good old Sussex by the sea.....etc

I'm in complete agreement with everyone who wants it sung slower, it makes the words clearer to the opposition (who must just shrug when we do the funky gibbon version) and easier for everyone to join in. Imagine GOSBTS sung in this way in the North Stand at Villa!

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
It's "we're going up AND WE'LL win the cup", not 'to win the cup'

f***ing glory-hunters.

Dandyman

In London village.

theonesmith

Oct 27, 2008

johnnyrocketpants

Mar 7, 2009
Was the song not played over the tannoys prior to 2005 then? I must've got so used to it, I swear it's been played since around 2000! What did we used to play? If at all?

GOSBTS has been played at matches since Gods dog was a puppy.
Same recording, scratches, crackles and all -and long may it continue....

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
Or print them in the programme. :wink:

Was my first thought, but how many of the 5000ish home fans buy a program every single game? But seems that i misunderstood JS and all that is wanted is for it to be slower, fine by me.

Last edited:

Domsdad

brother of Patch
Sep 24, 2003
Its grim up north
Took my mate from up north to a match at Hartlepool the other season. I asked him what he thought of the fans - "Great, but whats that sausage song all about?".

Good old sausage by the sea?

jcdenton08

Offended Liver Sausage
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
What I want to know is this; there are three pages of people, universally in agreement that it needs to be sung slower and clearer. I'd say at Withdean, about 30 people sing. Now.. I'm no expert.. but surely if we, being the people who sing at games, all agree that it should be sung slower.. then... WHY DON'T WE JUST SING IT SLOWER.

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
I am about to PM Insider with a request to print the bit that we do sing, and an instruction to sing slowly in the programme.
Perhaps their might be room to put this in on a regular basis?
Let's see what happens.

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
Here's a copy.

Help to Get GOSBTS Back to Normal!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello Paul,

You may have seen the thread I started about singing our anthem slowly.
Everyone seems to agree that the way it's sung at the moment awful.
Miles too fast, ruinning it totally.
We need help to get it back to normal.
Would there be space in the programme, for a request or is there scope for an article about the song, although there's bound to have been one before.
The main purpose of this being to slow the singing down. The bit we all sing, "Der, der der etc and we're going up and we'll win the cup, for Sussex by the sea.
Good old Sussex by the sea, good old..." etc.
Although a lot of us aren't that keen on our local rag, what are your views on involving them too to spearhead a campaign?

Cheers, Graeme.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here