Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

From Falmer Station up to the Amex

JamesAndTheGiantHead

Sep 2, 2011
Worthing
Is no one going to bring up the rancid stench of human shit? All this talk of burger stalls is a bit premature considering most people hold their breath on their way to and from the station.

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
Is no one going to bring up the rancid stench of human shit? All this talk of burger stalls is a bit premature considering most people hold their breath on their way to and from the station.

I must say that I have only smelt this once, and it turned out to be tossers with stink bombs in the queue..... and I attended 18 home games.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I think you need to re-read the original suggestion as you appear to have completely missed the point of the thread. These would be club operated selling the same things you can buy in the stadium/club shop for the same prices. No one has suggested allowing a market to descend outside the stadium.

As for Wembley way I have no trouble with scarves etc being on stands outside...all adds to the excitement for me and if the majority of people thought like you they would go out of business overnight. Give people what they want I say, if you dont want it dont buy it, its that simple.

The more outlets there are for people to spend their money the more they will spend. There is a reason that tescos/asda have about 50 tills...people will avoid spending their money if they have to wait too long. More outlets = People get that gear/food they want and the club gets more money in the till....if its at the cost of 'cluttering' up a wide barren tarmac area I think the majority of fans would be ok with that.

The club have set up a table outside the superstore with cut price scarves occasionally when the weather has been fine. I tend to arrive about 2.15 for a Sat match, walk up from the station and find it's fairly crowded at that time especially when there are bucket collections and Argus sellers blocking the way. If there was anything else it would cause congestion. The trees/greenery were only planted a year ago and have yet to sprout fully. I would like more greenery but let's see how the present planting takes first.

JamesAndTheGiantHead

Sep 2, 2011
Worthing
I must say that I have only smelt this once, and it turned out to be tossers with stink bombs in the queue..... and I attended 18 home games.

To be honest I've usually had a few pints, so I wouldn't be surprised If I'd actually just shat myself at some point during the game and not noticed.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
i liked the mini enclosed "fanzone" at Anfield, couple of beers before the game and a chat to some people i hadnt seen for ages was a bonus

kano

Jun 17, 2011
Rather shocked at the attitude towards change/new developments from albion fans.

Considering this very same attitude of objecting to new development from residents regarding planning cost the club years and millions i find it very ironic that our own fans would oppose the club selling merchandise and food outside their own front door because they think it would make the place look too crowded.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Rather shocked at the attitude towards change/new developments from albion fans.

Considering this very same attitude of objecting to new development from residents regarding planning cost the club years and millions i find it very ironic that our own fans would oppose the club selling merchandise and food outside their own front door because they think it would make the place look too crowded.

Not everyone has your attitude, thankfully.

One, don't compare Brighton fans with NIMBYs - it's nothing like 'the very same attitude of objecting to new development'. Two, it's not that the place would look crowded, it's that it would be crowded. Three, do you honestly think that, 28 games on, the club hasn't thought of this, and that maybe there might be a reason why this isn't happening?

kano

Jun 17, 2011
Not everyone has your attitude, thankfully.

One, don't compare Brighton fans with NIMBYs - it's nothing like 'the very same attitude of objecting to new development'. Two, it's not that the place would look crowded, it's that it would be crowded. Three, do you honestly think that, 28 games on, the club hasn't thought of this, and that maybe there might be a reason why this isn't happening?

Why thankfully? because you want to keep the open space and i disagree? Well reasoned and argued there.

1. Its EXACTLY the same attitude. Complaints about how busy it will be? CHECK. Saying you like the area as it is and dont want it spoiled? CHECK. Wont really have a huge impact on you but your gonna complain anyway? CHECK.

2. Thats subjective as im going to assume you mean TOO crowded. Lest you forget this is a football match not a walk over the downs, there are going to be crowds....infact thats the dictionary definition of what the club are trying to attract.

3. I said that same thing myself it just seems that you assume the clubs reason is because they and everyone else support your point of view, I suspect there is a different reason.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
1. Its EXACTLY the same attitude. Complaints about how busy it will be? CHECK. Saying you like the area as it is and dont want it spoiled? CHECK. Wont really have a huge impact on you but your gonna complain anyway? CHECK.

2. Thats subjective as im going to assume you mean TOO crowded. Lest you forget this is a football match not a walk over the downs, there are going to be crowds....infact thats the dictionary definition of what the club are trying to attract.

3. I said that same thing myself it just seems that you assume the clubs reason is because they and everyone else support your point of view, I suspect there is a different reason.

1. It's not the same attitude. Many people are actively opting for having and using an open space (as opposed to being against change for the sake of it - NIMBYism). You're assuming that disagreeing with change is a bad thing - it's not.

2. Yes, it will be too crowded. It doesn't take much to block up that route now.

3. There is more than one reason as to why the club hasn't do it. One of them is space.

kano

Jun 17, 2011
As we are just down to our own personal opinions I guess its agree to disagree time :D

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
I dont believe it. some people are never happy. our new home is the dogs. What next. The setting for the amex is not in the south downs enough. :shrug:

There is no doubting that it is a fine stadium in a beautiful surroundings, the question is about the walkway from the station, that could be improved with ideas. I like the heads on spikes as discussed previously.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Personally I am more than happy to walk up looking at the beauty of the stadium, pausing briefly to purchase my programme and hat trick card, before gazing longing at the ground again. Anything else would just distract from the wonderful sight the Amex is.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
A Bandstand would look pretty good...Sussex-By-the-Sea pre-match would also sound pretty good !!! :jester: :amex: :bhasign:
Now that would be quite a thing.....imagine the dulcet tones of Sussex by the sea (and other favourites) being played at the bandstand as you walk up to the stadium, then the same band assembled out on the pitch for the walk on later......marvellous.

Storer 68

Apr 19, 2011
As we are just down to our own personal opinions I guess its agree to disagree time :D

and of course it is a route for the emergency services so should be kept clear. You wouldn't want your ambulance delayed by some spiv floggiing dodgy sacrves.

The superstore, sorry club shop, is now massive compared to what we had at the Goldstone, Priesfield (where it was literally the back of a van) and Withdean (where it was a trailer) . And even compared to what we had/have in Queens Road.

Hardly would need to have more club tat available on the walk to the ground.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here