Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

From Falmer Station up to the Amex

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
I can happily live with the exisiting minimalist appearance. For me the 'less is more' allows you to get the wow factor each time you arrive by train and walk up to The Amex.

Seeing 'our' Amex in all of its glory still gets the juices going - and not have the impact detracted from or cheapened by the stink of fried onions and tacky merchandise stands. Many Clubs have these outside their grounds because they hadn't the foresight to build decent concourses and serve quality ale and food inside the stadium. I can happily walk on a few yards knowing we have an excellent official Club shop right in pole position as you approach and once inside the stadium you have great choice of food and beverages both before and after the match. I note many comments from visiting away fans over the last season also admit how impressive the approach to the Amex is - so it's not just us who feel that way either.

Secondly I had no trouble interpreting Lord B's comments as 'us' being the JCLs at Falmer (true) when the Universities and subway have been there for ages whereas The Albion and its fans haven't. I don't think he was having a pop, it's just some people on NSC are a bit sensitive about the JCL tag.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
Is it okay for my dad to suggest the tiles in the subway, He was born and raised in Falmer and is family are buried there, so not a JCL :lol:

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
You're right. No dig at fellow-Albion supporters was intended. I was a student at Sussex University, way way back (when what we now call Brighton University was Brighton College of Education), and I was a daily user of the subway then.

And I do like it uncluttered.

Well I rode a 650cc Triumph Trophy, similar to the one Steve McQueen went over the fence on apart from the fact it was in the factory colours of tangerine and ivory, through that tunnel at very high speed following a view of The Wild One at the university film club and I reckon that qualifies me to DEMAND blue and white tiling on the walls.

Well I rode a 650cc Triumph Trophy, similar to the one Steve McQueen went over the fence on apart from the fact it was in the factory colours of tangerine and ivory, through that tunnel at very high speed following a view of The Wild One at the university film club and I reckon that qualifies me to DEMAND blue and white tiling on the walls.
And I saw Last Tango in Paris at the University film club, but that doesn't mean I want a farm shop selling butter outside the stadium.

Max Paper

Sunshiinnnnneeee
Nov 3, 2009
Testicles
You're right. No dig at fellow-Albion supporters was intended. I was a student at Sussex University, way way back (when what we now call Brighton University was Brighton College of Education), and I was a daily user of the subway then.

And I do like it uncluttered.

In that case I misunderstood and apologise fully (I thought it was a dig at his post count)

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Is it just me who thinks that a load of stalls would look tacky?

Stalls would look tacky, but the landscaping is new and will take time to grow and look better. They could spend a few bob on more mature landscaping like palm trees and lighting and create an avenue type thing leading up to the stadium.

teaboy

Jul 5, 2003
My house
I can happily live with the exisiting minimalist appearance. For me the 'less is more' allows you to get the wow factor each time you arrive by train and walk up to The Amex.

Seeing 'our' Amex in all of its glory still gets the juices going - and not have the impact detracted from or cheapened by the stink of fried onions and tacky merchandise stands. Many Clubs have these outside their grounds because they hadn't the foresight to build decent concourses and serve quality ale and food inside the stadium. I can happily walk on a few yards knowing we have an excellent official Club shop right in pole position as you approach and once inside the stadium you have great choice of food and beverages both before and after the match. I note many comments from visiting away fans over the last season also admit how impressive the approach to the Amex is - so it's not just us who feel that way either.

Secondly I had no trouble interpreting Lord B's comments as 'us' being the JCLs at Falmer (true) when the Universities and subway have been there for ages whereas The Albion and its fans haven't. I don't think he was having a pop, it's just some people on NSC are a bit sensitive about the JCL tag.

I can't see the club wanting to bother with stands outside. What's the point? The club shop is 50 yards away, and any food outlets wouldn't rival the pies anyway. I doubt you'd get a pint of Harvey's either.

kano

Jun 17, 2011
I think a few stalls and a couple of burger vans would add to the atmosphere and help reduce the massive queues in the concourses and the club shop.

There must be a good reason why the club hasn't done this tho, dispite what a few people on here seem to think about the beauty of wide open tarmac spaces, its a no brainer.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Sorry whos that. Was just thinking that a bit of tropical shrubery, floodlit at night maybe in blue creating an avenue would look quite cool. Im not suggesting that we grow bougainvilleas up the west stand walls. Something different like the rest of the stadium.

Leigh Farrow is a Labour councillor who sits on the Brighton & Hove City Council planning committee. The fact he was a pain in the arse during the planning committee meeting regarding the stadium expansion isn't the comparison I'm making.

He kept insisting, during the meeting, that the stadium should have far more greenery.

Edit: Strike that, it wasn't Leigh Farrow talking about the greenery (though he was a pain in the arse) - it was Green councillor Christopher Hawtree.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I can't see the club wanting to bother with stands outside. What's the point? The club shop is 50 yards away, and any food outlets wouldn't rival the pies anyway. I doubt you'd get a pint of Harvey's either.

Might be nice to stand outside with a pint in the warmer months rather than face the oven of the WSU concourse. There is no ventilation or through draughts once you are up there.

The Oldman

I like the Hat
NSC Patron
Jul 12, 2003
In the shadow of Seaford Head
Those of us who use the P & R or coach park have a very different approach. Down the steps and straight onto the East or South stand perimeter walkway. This does get very congested and I am very happy to get round to the West Stand past the Wall of Heroes, to get inside for my pie and pint. Would not like stalls adding to the congestion.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here