Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

From Falmer Station up to the Amex

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Leigh Farrow is a Labour councillor who sits on the Brighton & Hove City Council planning committee. The fact he was a pain in the arse during the planning committee meeting regarding the stadium expansion isn't the comparison I'm making.

He kept insisting, during the meeting, that the stadium should have far more greenery.

Edit: Strike that, it wasn't Leigh Farrow talking about the greenery (though he was a pain in the arse) - it was Green councillor Christopher Hawtree.

Oh i see dont want to be compared to a green councillor, if my idea was followed through they would have to put sangria on draught as well.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I think a few stalls and a couple of burger vans would add to the atmosphere and help reduce the massive queues in the concourses and the club shop.

There must be a good reason why the club hasn't done this tho, dispite what a few people on here seem to think about the beauty of wide open tarmac spaces, its a no brainer.

Litter would be a problem.

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
It isn't desirable to have queues to stalls and burger vans obstructing the walkways to / from Falmer station, if allowed I bet there would soon be punters on here moaning about how this detracts from the easy approach that exists now.

Plus with an enlarged Amex I don't think they will want much encroachment into these areas by burger vans and stalls along the exit routes for the bigger crowds and potential tail backs from the Station platforms after the matches.

Leigh Farrow is a Labour councillor who sits on the Brighton & Hove City Council planning committee. The fact he was a pain in the arse during the planning committee meeting regarding the stadium expansion isn't the comparison I'm making.

He kept insisting, during the meeting, that the stadium should have far more greenery.

Edit: Strike that, it wasn't Leigh Farrow talking about the greenery (though he was a pain in the arse) - it was Green councillor Christopher Hawtree.

You don't get quotations from Ancient Greek philosophers in the same sentence as the Albion very often though; perhaps Hawtree would be up for a half-time interview next season - he seemed to like the stadium?

I too thought LF was being a bit of a bore during the meeting but maybe he had a point, albeit not concisely articulated. It's not really very satisfactory, from his constituent's viewpoint, to not know what's exactly happening about the CPZ and over what timescale. I thought the council officer for transport could have been a bit more pro-active and helpful on this which would have had the bonus of shutting Farrow up much earlier.

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
Ok. I'll try again.

What I really, really like about our stadium is that it feels like it belongs to US. What gives me this sense of ownership of the place is the FACT that you can arrive there without feeling that you've walked into a shopping mall, where - as soon as you get off the train - you are bombarded with invitations to spend money. Instead, you can use the open space to mill around, meet people, have conversations, plan the post-match drinking venue, etc. It's OUR space. Let's keep it like that.

Nooo, these guys want more LB, they want the Hanging Gardens of Babylon, herds of wildebeest etc etc, brain candy, so they don't have to exercise their brain with something radical like thoughts and conversations..... :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

BarnhamBlue

Feb 15, 2012
Yapton
Like the 'Avenue of Palm Trees'. That would be great!

Don't like the stall ideas - becomes too crowded, litter issues etc. Although, another shop (kiosk) would be great to sell basic BHA stuff like scarves, hats etc. I'm not prepared to join the long queues at the shop, it takes ages!!! That said, the internet provides excellent service.

What about statues of : Dick Knight? Tony Bloom? other BHA heroes?

Lastly, similar to the Wall of Heroes, what about another wall this time mapping out BHA's history. So when you walk to the stadium, key dates will be displayed showng the history of the club to present times. Or showing our old kit colours along the way, website: Historicalkits.co.uk/Brighton_and_Hove_Albion/Brighton_and_Hove_Albion.htm

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
It would be nice to have some greenery along the concourse up from the Station.

AFAIK there are no conditions restricting burger vans etc, although I suspect that may be part of the legal agreement with Brighton University.

E. ^^^ Please noooo horrible bronze statues, immediately pictures of Southampton come to mind.

Oct 25, 2003
Lastly, similar to the Wall of Heroes, what about another wall this time mapping out BHA's history. So when you walk to the stadium, key dates will be displayed showng the history of the club to present times. Or showing our old kit colours along the way, website: Historicalkits.co.uk/Brighton_and_Hove_Albion/Brighton_and_Hove_Albion.htm

i would like this to be somewhere outside the stadium......not sure where but i would like it for sure

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Im thinking something more like Gladiator, with blood dripping down upon us as we enter the stadium.

Brilliant, how about a line of wooden crosses with waxworks of people we dont like being crucified, like Archer and Bellotti, we could even have Tony and Gus riding pass them on donkeys and into the stadium before every home game

Storer 68

Apr 19, 2011
I think a few stalls and a couple of burger vans would add to the atmosphere and help reduce the massive queues in the concourses and the club shop.

There must be a good reason why the club hasn't done this tho, dispite what a few people on here seem to think about the beauty of wide open tarmac spaces, its a no brainer.

There is a good resason - its a stupid idea., anyone who has been to wembley has experienced the tat fest that is Wembley way will know exactly what I am taking about. None of the brings in any revenue for Wembley and just adds to the sensation of being ripped off by dodgy people with unlicensed material

Storer 68

Apr 19, 2011
i would like this to be somewhere outside the stadium......not sure where but i would like it for sure

you should pay a visit to the concourse in the North Stand . they have exactly this in there

Jack Daniels

Aug 25, 2011
Buggers Hole
Crawley have got a giant football on the roundabout next to their ground and that was there before the ground was built!

It is quite a grotty subway. If and when the time comes for it to be refurbished, it would be quite a community-minded gesture for the club to contribute to its retiling, and a blue and white mosaic would look great there.

That giant football was necessity. How else would the good folk of Crawley know what the hell the giant structure erected next to it was for.

Oct 25, 2003
you should pay a visit to the concourse in the North Stand . they have exactly this in there

i know they do, but i want a BIGGER ONE that all the away fans can see and get jealous of when they read "2005-06....Brighton & Hove Albion STUN the footballing world when they SWOOP for superstar striker FEDERICO TURIENZO"

NickBHAFC18

Feb 24, 2012
Brighton
Brilliant, how about a line of wooden crosses with waxworks of people we dont like being crucified, like Archer and Bellotti, we could even have Tony and Gus riding pass them on donkeys and into the stadium before every home game

Quality! We could put body parts of Crystal Palace supporters on sticks, and scatter them around the outside of the ground...

Head%20on%20Stick%5B2%5D.jpg

kano

Jun 17, 2011
There is a good resason - its a stupid idea., anyone who has been to wembley has experienced the tat fest that is Wembley way will know exactly what I am taking about. None of the brings in any revenue for Wembley and just adds to the sensation of being ripped off by dodgy people with unlicensed material

I think you need to re-read the original suggestion as you appear to have completely missed the point of the thread. These would be club operated selling the same things you can buy in the stadium/club shop for the same prices. No one has suggested allowing a market to descend outside the stadium.

As for Wembley way I have no trouble with scarves etc being on stands outside...all adds to the excitement for me and if the majority of people thought like you they would go out of business overnight. Give people what they want I say, if you dont want it dont buy it, its that simple.

The more outlets there are for people to spend their money the more they will spend. There is a reason that tescos/asda have about 50 tills...people will avoid spending their money if they have to wait too long. More outlets = People get that gear/food they want and the club gets more money in the till....if its at the cost of 'cluttering' up a wide barren tarmac area I think the majority of fans would be ok with that.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
As for Wembley way I have no trouble with scarves etc being on stands outside...all adds to the excitement for me and if the majority of people thought like you they would go out of business overnight. Give people what they want I say, if you dont want it dont buy it, its that simple.

The more outlets there are for people to spend their money the more they will spend. There is a reason that tescos/asda have about 50 tills...people will avoid spending their money if they have to wait too long. More outlets = People get that gear/food they want and the club gets more money in the till....if its at the cost of 'cluttering' up a wide barren tarmac area I think the majority of fans would be ok with that.

Speak for yourself, and I'm not convinced the majority would be OK with it.

I'd rather have more greenery or a conversation area than stalls.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here