Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Friday grumble - "Americanisms"

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Fellow NSC Members,

When did people start using the phrase 'my bad' on the internet? What's that all about?

Your Sincerely

Papa (Lazarou)

Jeez guys, the language evolves, get with the program. Dickens (who traveled extensively in the US) enraged his fellow Victorians by coming back home and using Americanisms such as 'lengthy' and 'influential'. All your Luddite opposition to change is just as parochial and futile ... although it will be a cold day in Hell before I use the word 'upcoming' instead of 'forthcoming'.

You're quite right.

This is what makes these discussions both pointless and passionate. Everyone wants to resist some changes, while embracing others. The opportunity to blame Americans or Australians or Scousers just adds to the fun.

Here's a spelling to ponder:-

CONNEXION.

American? No. It's pure Jane Austen, who never wrote the word CONNECTION in her life, although her modern UK publishers have 'corrected' it, because they were criticised for letting 'Americanisms' into their published products.

PS. I think you'll find that Dickens travelled extensively in America. If Brovian thinks that he traveled extensively in the US, that's up to him. I guess.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
In what context?

I believe it is used in the context of the poster having made some form of paux pas in a previous posting. So rather than posting 'apologies for my former erroneous post, I was mistaken' they add 'my bad' and a suitable smiley.

It annoys me - it sounds like 3 year old kids posting... oh, there is the answer

my bad :glare:

Barrow Boy

NSC Patron
Nov 2, 2007
GOSBTS
Two that really piss me off are,

"At this moment in time" = I suppose they mean " Now"

and

"For sure" = How about "Yes"

I remember Sally Gunnel using both these terms in an interview, well she does come from Essex.

:angry:

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
the use of AWESOME! when really the person just means, "yeah cool" or simply somthing is "good" or "great". you really in awe? no, or you have a pretty sheltered life.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
the use of AWESOME! when really the person just means, "yeah cool" or simply somthing is "good" or "great". you really in awe? no, or you have a pretty sheltered life.

The interesting thing - and this is where we come back to evolving languages - is that 'awesome' and 'awful' orginally meant the same thing. 'Awful' has changed to mean something negative.

However, 'awesome' is an over-used word. This brings me on to my next grumble (I've got LOADS) - what is it with some people (alright, non-thinking kids - especially University students on the train I travel on) who can only describe things in extremes. It's either 'awesome', 'amazing', or 'cool'. Conversely, things are 'minging', 'embarrassing' etc. What happened to their vocabulary to describe non-descript, average or even irrelevant things in life?

Last edited:

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
i think its SICK that we don't speak like they do in shakespeare plays anymore

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
I read somewhere that apparently Americans use "Can I get" as opposed to "Can I have" because they take "Can I have" to mean for nothing, as in free.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
I read somewhere that apparently Americans use "Can I get" as opposed to "Can I have" because they take "Can I have" to mean for nothing, as in free.

Well those fat bastards have been taking whatever they like (countries, resources, lives, modesty) for hundreds of years why should they get all coy about asking to have another Big Mac to shove into their fat pieholes?

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada
TomAYtoes - NO It's just tomatoes.

Check - Cheque

Route pronounced ROUT.....WHY?:thud:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here